Newbie needs thermostat recomendations...

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:58 am

Thanks for the update, this info is very important to us as it may in fact help another member with a similar project not to mention that this also lets us know that using a DIY heat sink actually works as theorized. I'll be putting this thread up for the library section in a month or so, so it will be with us for future reference.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks Crabber85 for all the help. I took pictures that I can post if that would help, and could provide more info. Of coarse, I already can think of many ways to make it better and will list those concerns as well. It can only get better.

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Somehow I managed to make a video slide show of the crabitat heater base project and post it on YouTube... How to Build aTerrarium Base Heater I will finish the description and details later but at least you can see it.

Herman Coen

Post by Herman Coen » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:14 pm

After several weeks of service, the heater base is working well, however the margin of temperature between the ambient air and ideal base temp is very narrow (ambient 65*-75* / base 76*-78*), and holding it steady in that slot required another thermostat. I plugged it into the Zoomed thermostat along with a ceramic heater with a rheostat set in the top of the warm end of the tat. I also required a UTH on the warm end of the tank that is always on. There are thermometers all over to be sure, and even a meat thermometer for the substrate. This holds a balance well enough for now. The goal was to avoid the use of an UTH, but I’m not quite there yet. The crew is very cozy, and in fact everyone that was molting in the original tank has come up and only one last guy has to finish the last week of his iso before joining the rest. Most of the first inhabitants of the new tank have gone down to molt, or de-stress, so it’s like a rotating shift. here is speedy before going into his new tank. Speedy shopping I can see a newer, better base heater in the future with a built in thermostat (really what it should have had from the start). I have come to realize that the substrate is able to hold alot of heat as well, but if that gets cold it could be too late. Also, heating the lower substrate from the top down would not be possible in a long term power outage, only from below would they really be safe (or around the tank warm ambient air). I will someday follow up on alternate power supply to heat the base with only 12 volts, and low amps. A solar setup with battery backup power would do it. but have lots of other stuff going on now. I welcome input and ideas, questions, and even critique if I am overlooking something. Base heater 2.0 will be better, and maybe even a large tank standard in cooler climates.