UTH Help

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

lovemycrabbies

UTH Help

Post by lovemycrabbies » Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 pm

What size UTH should I get for my 40gallon tank? Should I get on big one that is the right size, or should I get two smaller ones so that I can spread out the warmth? Here is where I am going to order from- http://beanfarm.com/index.php?...=1204&sort=2a&page=3
75 Gallon
3 coenobita clypeatus & 2 coenobita compressus

Topic author
Margaret

UTH Help

Post by Margaret » Wed May 08, 2013 11:47 pm

I like putting two on my tanks because it gives me options -- sometimes I turn on both and the heat light, sometimes I turn on just the two, sometimes I turn on one. It depends on what the temp is in the tank (sometimes our house is 70 degrees, sometimes 80 degrees). I put them around a corner to make a little cozy place. Actually, the crabs love it there, and usually about 5 or 6 of them will hang out on the tree over in that corner.

Melodia91

UTH Help

Post by Melodia91 » Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 am

If you are getting the UltraTherm, I would suggest one that would cover the back of the tank, and if your home gets cold, maybe another for a side (to create a warm corner). I have one that covers the back of the tank, just above my sub strait level, and it did a wonderful job keeping my tank at 78-80 degrees (at ground level) throughout the winter when my house is only 67 degrees. Remember, it acts more like the sun in heating objects, than a regular uth that heats the glass.

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

UTH Help

Post by JediMasterThrash » Thu May 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Another benefit of more smaller ones is that you can keep most of the area of the UTH next to substate (while side-mounted).UTH function by transfer of heat (conduction), and conduction through moist sand is very good, while conduction through air is poor. So you'll get more efficient use out of your UTH when it's next to substrate.Overhead lights like moon-glos or nite-glos function by radiation and can heat surfaces in a tank quite efficiently.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Laurie LeAnn

UTH Help

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri May 10, 2013 2:40 am

I also have several uth's on my 55 gal. my house is surrounded by huge trees. so it stays very cool in the spring. one big uth just wasn't cutting it so I got 2 smaller ones and put on the other end, also when it decides to get hot and humid and it happens fast here then the air comes on so i need more than one i also have a moon glow & reg light

lovemycrabbies

UTH Help

Post by lovemycrabbies » Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 am

Thanks for all the help! I ordered two 11x6inch ones last night and they should be here in a few days!
75 Gallon
3 coenobita clypeatus & 2 coenobita compressus

Topic author
HermitCrabingrid

UTH Help

Post by HermitCrabingrid » Tue May 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Animalobsesssedkate?