Re-added filtration to my saltwater pool and re-did the layout of my 121gal.

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 am

I had to do some major changes over the last couple of days I ended up going with a much larger saltwater dish/pool its a half gallon size Glad's brand tupperware container, its shallow but its long and wide enough to provide plenty of bathing and playing space for my PP's and E's.I put a Whisper internal filter rated for up to thirty gallons in the pool and it creates a good flow and aerates the water nicely, the humidity level of the tank has gone up five percent since last night so its staying right at 90 but thats okay with a tank the size of mine and I do have a sufficient air flow into the tank for fresh air exchange so mold growth and such shouldn't be a problem.I had to do something to stabilize the humidity because the weather has been crazy here lately which has caused the humidity levels in the tank to vary wildly swinging up and down by as much as thirty percent which is unhealthy for the crabs as it just leads to extra stress due to them having to adjust so rapidly to these extreme changes in the humidity levels of the enclosure.While I was in the enclosure today I did notice that the substrate was a bit too dry on the surface which was helping the instability with the humidity levels I was seeing over the last few weeks.I got the substrate issue resolved and moved the decor around and just kind of freshened things up a bit which stirred up the E's a great deal they were all out checking out the changes and getting into mischief.lolI've got to replace the glass lids on my tank as I had to duct tape them up again for third time in a year, the tank, lids and strip lights were all bought back in 2006 by the guy who gave them all to me year before last so the lids are old and in serious need of replacing they've become so cracked and damaged that they are now about 90% duct tape and 10% glass but hey we crabbing nuts do what we have to right.lol
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Post by jenok » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:56 am

Sounds like a crabby paradise!

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:12 pm

@jenok, with the additions in decor that I made the tank is looking better than it ever has and the crabs are loving it especially my rambunctious e's.lolMy largest E has been wading around in the salt water pool on and off for the last two days and its funny because the E decides to wade out when the filter is running and creating a whirlpool effect but stays out of the water when the filter is off, I keep the filter running for twelve hours during the day and then keep it off at night since the humidity naturally goes up at night for me anyway.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

jenok

Post by jenok » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:29 am

Very Interesting! Must be fun to watch. I would like to get some but I don't have near the tank size or room to put a large tank. Still waiting on the $1 gal sale so I can get a 20-40 gal to but my 3 remaining babies in.

Tetra4CClyPtus

Post by Tetra4CClyPtus » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:45 am

Please please can we see a picture of your 121gal crabitat ??

crazycrabber

Post by crazycrabber » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:00 am

that is the right attitude, i would die for my crabs. good work, but how can you carry that 121 gallon tank?
experience comes from this: Harvey (tarantula), flanders (cat), 2 pp hermit crabs, (marshawn pinch, and richard shermit), smallstress house hamster(hamster), baron purplemoon (fish).
This signature is currently in violation of our five line maximum policy.

Topic author
Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:33 am

@crazycrabber, I don't carry it anywhere its where its going to be for the rest of my life, it took me and two of my cousins to move it to my house as it weighs a couple hundred pounds without substrate, decor and so forth in it.@Tetra4CClyPeatus, I'll get a more current pic up here of my 121 as soon as a can but no promises I've had a lot going on lately and to top it all off our air conditioning system went on the fritz yesterday the coil decided to freeze over....
#Autism Speaks.