Who said hermit crab doesn't like bright light?

Archived information regarding the proper control and maintenance of your crabitat.

Candy

Post by Candy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:10 pm

When I got hermit crabs for the first time, I searched internet and it says they don't like sunshine or bright light so I didn't get any lights for them.But after I joined this forum I read about 12 hour daylight and 12 hour moonlight daily is good for them.So I bought lights and doing 12 hour sun/moon light method and boy my hermies love to stay right below the daylight bulb and bask there !I put my light pretty high from the lid because I'm afraid it's gonna make the tank dry.Are my hermies weird ? Any of your hermies love to get tanning under sunlight?

Crabber85

Post by Crabber85 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:22 am

Hermitcrabs do in fact need daily exposure to UV light which helps to stimulate natural Vitamin D production in the hermitcrabs, which in turn helps them to better absorb calcium and the heat from the lights aids in digestion.Hermitcrabs who are deprived of UV light don't do as well and have significantly shorter lives as a result.
Hi I have autism so I tend to answer questions very directly and with little emotion so please don't think I'm being rude.
#Autism Speaks.

Laurie LeAnn

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 am

must of been an out of date web site or someone that didn't know what they were talking about?? ya just don't want them in direct path of a window , ya know right in front of it cause it might over heat your tank..off to the side, across the room from one is fine. I have a moon glow for night but I leave it on 27 / 7 and I have reg light for day time. I turn it off at night