Baltimore MD - 3 PP for Adoption

Please create a new topic about your hermit crab(s) needing rehomed. Topic titles must start with city and state.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Baltimore MD - 3 PP for Adoption

Post by BlueCrabAve » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:23 pm

I am in downtown Baltimore and have 3 PP that would probably benefit from living in a new home. We have had 2 of them (1 smallish “Blueberry” and 1 medium “Pinkie”) for 15 months and both have successfully molted about 3-4 times each. Our larger crab “Sebastian” has been with us since November and has molted twice. They are together in a 10 gallon tank and we just don’t have the room to expand the size of our crabitat. My kids have little interest in caring for them and I think they would be happier with a bigger tank and someone who has the time to invest into their well-being. Tank/supplies included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VickieG

Re: Baltimore MD - 3 PP for Adoption

Post by VickieG » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:39 pm

I am in Harrisburg Pa and have had hermit crabs for about 3 yrs now. I recently lost one to a molt and a second one just a few days ago to unknown reasons. The last one we have is healthy, super feisty and probably lonely. My current tank is a 20 long, so I have plenty of room, but I'm looking for a replacement tank that might be a smidge bigger. We'll be in OCMD in a few weeks where I can pick up some friends, but if we can work something out, perhaps we can help each other. My only issue is the distance, but if you're willing to bring them up, I would be more than happy to take care of them. We could perhaps meet somewhere south of Harrisburg, if that helps. I can send you pictures of my tank and answer any questions you have. Let me know what you think.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi BlueCrabAve,

Did you find a home for your crab yet? I'm looking for buddies for my lone 7 year old hermit crab. His friend died just a few days ago and I can tell he misses her. I've caught him hugging an empty shell, and laying on top of a toy hermit crab I put in his enclosure to make him feel like he has a friend. I live in PA, but will be in North East MD this weekend and could meet you there. Please let me know. Thank you!!

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:53 pm

I am sorry that I haven’t responded! Almost as soon as I posted this message, Pinkie and Blueberry went under, presumably for a molt- I am not sure how I would transport them without risking tunnel collapse.

Sebastian is out and about but I think I should wait until they are all up to give them away? I am willing to travel north to meet either or both of you. I can let you know when they emerge.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi BlueCrabAve!

Good to hear from you. My poor Beau is so lonely without his tank mate, so we would be super excited to take your babies when they come up from their molt. It looks like North East MD is about an hour from you, and it's also an hour from me, so about halfway for both of us if you are ok with that. There's a beach I always go to in MD we could meet at if you decide I could adopt your crabbies. I'm actually going there next weekend, but I know the crabs might not be ready by then which is ok. If VickieG wants to travel and take a crab too so her's isn't lonely either, I'd be more than happy just to take 1-2 of your babies. Just let me know. :)
My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

ZML

Post by ZML » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:10 am

Hi, I am interested in your 3 hermit crabs. I am in Wilmington, DE and I work at a the Brandywine Zoo. We are looking to adopt some hermit crabs for our Education Department as ambassador animals. The crabs would be part of our educational programs which teach our visitors about the animals as well as the environment they live in, their role in the ecosystem and conservation of all animal life. We have well trained and knowledgeable staff that would be caring for them and our veterinarian would be available should they ever need medical care.

We can pick them up or possibly meet somewhere in the middle if things don't work out with CrabbyLover77.

Thanks!

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 am

I thought you might have changed your mind when I didn't hear back, and we've been on vacation this past wk so I hadn't checked in for a while. I did pick up some friends for my lone crab this past week, but I am still more than happy to help and have the room as soon as my tank upgrade is complete..I'm going up to somewhere between 55-75 gal. I could probably meet you halfway, which is about 45 min to an hr for each of us depending on where you'd want to meet. Either way, it looks like you have several options for adoptions when you're ready, which should be a relief. You can text me at (PHONE NUMBER REMOVED BY ADMIN) if you'd like to go ahead with things (in case I get sidetracked and haven't checked in online when you're ready). -Vickie

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:34 pm

So sorry I didn’t see your messages! I guess my notifications are not set up correctly/(
However- Pinkie just arrived from the sand tonight so This is the earliest I could move them. I am happy to drive them to interested parties. My kids are starting school Tuesday 9/3 so anytime after Wednesday I can make it happen!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 pm

BlueCrabAve wrote:So sorry I didn’t see your messages! I guess my notifications are not set up correctly/(
However- Pinkie just arrived from the sand tonight so This is the earliest I could move them. I am happy to drive them to interested parties. My kids are starting school Tuesday 9/3 so anytime after Wednesday I can make it happen!

Hi there!
I was able to adopt 2 crab friends for my Beau last weekend. Everyone is now molting, so no one has met yet. Image I'm also supposed to adopt a crabby this weekend. That pretty much leaves my 2 habitats with no more room for newbies at the moment. So if you would like to adopt out your crabs to VickieG and/or ZML, I'm sure they could give them a good home too. Good luck with everything and I hope they find great new homes!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
BlueCrabAve

Post by BlueCrabAve » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:16 pm

ZML wrote:Hi, I am interested in your 3 hermit crabs. I am in Wilmington, DE and I work at a the Brandywine Zoo. We are looking to adopt some hermit crabs for our Education Department as ambassador animals. The crabs would be part of our educational programs which teach our visitors about the animals as well as the environment they live in, their role in the ecosystem and conservation of all animal life. We have well trained and knowledgeable staff that would be caring for them and our veterinarian would be available should they ever need medical care.

We can pick them up or possibly meet somewhere in the middle if things don't work out with CrabbyLover77.

Thanks!
I am happy to meet you halfway between Wilmington and Baltimore or even closer to you...what is a good day? Friday 9/13 might be okay for me.

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:53 pm

I'm also still able to adopt and have tons of room. I am almost done with a 75 gal tank upgrade. Just let me know if you're interested and we can talk about a good place to meet. I'm not a zoo, but with 3 girls, we do get plenty of visitors! Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk