1 XXL+ PP Needs Rehoming - Macon, GA

Please create a new topic about your hermit crab(s) needing rehomed. Topic titles must start with city and state.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
tictacash

1 XXL+ PP Needs Rehoming - Macon, GA

Post by tictacash » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:33 pm

Quick info:
I'm located smack in central Georgia, in Macon/Warner Robins. I can only travel about 30 mins to drop her* off. I will not ship her*. I do have some supplies for her* (toys, a bajillion extra shells, fake plants, food, water conditioner, etc). No fee associated with her*, I just want her* to go to a good, loving home she* deserves to be in. Please reach me via PM if you want to know more about her*/are interested.

About Sapphire:
+I've had Sapphire for 10 years now. She's** a big girl - a little shy of a softball in size- and has a ton of attitude and personality.
+She molts two or three times a year now because of her size and, when she does molt, she's down for 2 or 3 months at a time. She most recently molted about two months ago now. You'll know she's ready to molt because she feels compelled to tear apart the entire tank for roughly a week before she actually goes down. (She also tears apart the entire tank every time I clean it and set it up all neat and pretty again. Do not expect a neat and pretty tank. Your aesthetics are not her aesthetics and she will let you know.)
+It can be a struggle to find her shells now, though she has been happy in the one she has currently for about a year.
+She's never been sick/had pests/other issues in the 10 years I've had her. All limbs are there and lovely.
+She's excellent at road trips. I've lived in several states since I purchased her on a whim on vacation in Florida a decade ago and she handles all of it like a champ. Even eats and drinks and carries on as if everything is normal in the car - just in case you need a car ride buddy, I suppose.
+She currently lives in a 55 gallon tank and her favorite hang out spot is the corner shower basket I mounted toward the top. She prefers to be up high, but in winter will jam her face all the way onto the glass beside the heater and refuse to move from there.
+She is not shy...unless you're a guy. I have no idea why this is, I don't know if it's a magical series of coincidences or what, but around women, she is perfectly active, out of her shell, moving around, you can hold her, and so on. Every guy she has interacted with, she pulls into her shell and refuses to come out. She's also perfectly fine around cats.
+In the 10 years I have had her, she has never pinched me. Not even once. Nor has she pinched anyone else.
+If she doesn't like the food you have offered her, she will throw it aside...or throw it at you. Have you ever had food thrown at you by a crab? Did you know crabs could throw food? She can make dreams come true on that one.
+Her favorite foods include peanut butter, coconut, more coconut, oatmeal, starfish, and dried split peas. (She also likes lot of other things and I'm sure there's more I've never given her to try)
+When not lounging in her shower basket or tearing apart the tank to redecorate, she enjoys climbing and ripping down all the lights and vines in her tank, and then taps on the glass until one of the cats comes to investigate so she may mock them.

Something extra important to know about her:
+She has previously eaten two tank mates. Both of the incidents were most likely my fault as I was a dumb, new owner who bought a hermit crab on a whim. The first one she ate was about 9 years ago when I realized the "hermit" in hermit crab doesn't actually mean they do well alone. Her diet was all wrong and I just plopped the new crab in without any thought. The second crab was a similar situation about 7 years ago when I thought I could try again. Once more, I think her diet was lacking and she cannibalized the new guy to supplement herself.
+HOWEVER, for the last 5 years she has been living fine with a tank mate. I introduced them differently by closing off a section of the tank with thin mesh fencing and kept them separated, but able to smell/see/hear/etc each other for about two months before I let them interact. Her diet had also been corrected and everything went fantastic. Unfortunately, her tank mate recently died. I do not know why. They were down molting for a few weeks and the other morning I walked in to find them albino white, naked, laying by the food dish. I moved them to a separate container thinking they were just lethargic and still molting, but the horrid fish stench of crabby death showed up about a day and a half later (rest in peace, Peridot)

This is a rough let go for me, but I'm simply not fit to continue her care, and, as sad as I am over Peridot's death, this is the right to let her to go to someone who can give her a super amazing lifestyle that I'm just not able to.

*I don't know if Sapphire is female. I've just been using female pronouns since I got her.
**I'm tired of typing *.

Nicnacpaddywack

Re: 1 XXL+ PP Needs Rehoming - Macon, GA

Post by Nicnacpaddywack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:56 am

We are new hermit crab owners. We purchased two at tge beach, and they are small. We began to read about them once we purchased and realized that not only had we gotten even more special pets than we originally thought, but they also require much different care than was explained to us.

We bought a large tank for our two today, a 30 gallon, I believe and are exciting to learn about and design a habitat for them.

We live in Birmingham, so if you aren't able to find anyone closer, we would be willing to add your crab to our habitat. We would just have to keep them separated for awhile. Our guys are little ones!

Topic author
tictacash

Post by tictacash » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi Nicnacpaddywack,

I'll keep you in mind. I'm not sure 30 gallons will be big enough for her though. She's a big crab, especially with all that shell in tow lol. I've got her in 55 right now, which she seems comfortable in.

I took a picture of her: https://imgur.com/a/aw7m7RF

Nicnacpaddywack

Post by Nicnacpaddywack » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:56 pm

She's very beautiful!! My daughter and I bought the crabs and brought them home with us from her cheer camp at the beach and now my husband is in love and wants to build a really big habitat and get another one or two. We are planning to purchase a large tank, as big as we can get, as soon as we find one for a great price and have time to build a proper stand for it. We almost did so today, we just don't have the stand yet and we have dogs, so don't want the aquarium on the floor.
If no one else wants her, we will be happy to meet you and stay prepared to give her the proper size tank.
We would wabt her to be happy and healthy!!

Topic author
tictacash

Post by tictacash » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:59 pm

I'll be sure to pass your compliment along to her ;)
and I'll keep you guys in mind. Right now I'm unable to drive more than 30 mins (medical condition), but when my husband returns in October, I'll be able to travel further since he can drive (haha), so if I haven't found her a new home by then, I'll reach out to you again!

GAherme

Post by GAherme » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:32 am

I’m interested. I want to either re home my crab or get her a friend . She is 17 years old + and xxL, so I don’t think eating a friend would be an issue. I’m in Warner Robins. My crab has been alone since a friend gave her to me in 2002. But I feel bad, and want to get her a friend but don’t want a small crab. Someone more her size. My crab could fit the description to yours almost to a T, except she is a very picky eater because I accidentally spoiled her with too much fruit in the beginning , and now she barely touches other foods. Tank is 55 gal?, but I’m really looking for something larger. I need to upgrade just deciding on the right one, and may go even bigger for two crabs.
Last edited by GAherme on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.