3 crabs need a good home

Please create a new topic about your hermit crab(s) needing rehomed. Topic titles must start with city and state.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
Jjcohong

3 crabs need a good home

Post by Jjcohong » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:28 am

Hello,

I am looking for a rescue group for my hermit crabs to be rehomed. They are not happy. I can’t get it humid or warm enough in their crabitat.

I thought I was “rescuing” them from the jersey shore and petco, and I built them an amazing crabitat (salt water, fresh water, food, sponges, moss, climbing drift wood, coconut shell shelter, sand and fiber substrate, leaves, ladders, etc etc) but I can’t keep it humid or warm enough! They are not happy at all, they barely come out at night. They need a better home, I will give the entire tank set up away for free with them, BUT I need to know they are going somewhere safe and happy.

I had 5 of them, but two from the jersey shore died within days/weeks of getting them. I bought one more at petco so they wouldn’t be lonely but they are just not thriving. I never see them anymore.

Thank you
Christine

Topic author
Jjcohong

Re: 3 crabs need a good home

Post by Jjcohong » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:29 am

Jjcohong wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:28 am
Hello,

I am looking for a rescue group for my hermit crabs to be rehomed. They are not happy. I can’t get it humid or warm enough in their crabitat.

I thought I was “rescuing” them from the jersey shore and petco, and I built them an amazing crabitat (salt water, fresh water, food, sponges, moss, climbing drift wood, coconut shell shelter, sand and fiber substrate, leaves, ladders, etc etc) but I can’t keep it humid or warm enough! They are not happy at all, they barely come out at night. They need a better home, I will give the entire tank set up away for free with them, BUT I need to know they are going somewhere safe and happy.

I had 5 of them, but two from the jersey shore died within days/weeks of getting them. I bought one more at petco so they wouldn’t be lonely but they are just not thriving. I never see them anymore.

Thank you
Christine

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 am

You should put city and state in the subject line.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:44 am

Where are you located?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:46 am

Jjcohong wrote:Hello,

Thank you
Christine
Hi Christine,

Where are you located? (State/general area). This will help adopters know if they are in the right area and can adopt your crabbies. Good luck.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:47 am

Oops, didn't see the other posts asking about location.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

Topic author
Jjcohong

Post by Jjcohong » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 am

Easton, PA

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:58 pm

Also, if you want to correct the humidity/temp issue in order to keep them, I've recently had unexpected success with the water feature in my tank setup in that area.

I used plexiglass and silicone glue to block off a few inches of the tank to allow for a fresh water pond. I keep plants and snails and soon, frogs, in there. It's quite easy to cut plexiglass by hand, or most hardware stores will do it for you. I made it into a ramp, lined the ramp and the sides of the tank that are under water with stone so the crabs can climb out if they fall in. (Pic1&3)

I don't use a filter, the plants and snails keep it healthy, but I do use an aerator (simple, inexpensive bubbler). I've had it like this for years, but recently put a small adjustable aquarium heater, made for tanks under 5 gallons, so that the water temp is around 77°. My new tank has glass lids, which helps immeasurably, but the warm water has boosted the overall temperature of the tank noticeably.

My house is old and drafty... It's always been a challenge in the fall/winter to keep my tank warm enough.

I put 2 "humidity wells" (my own term) in the new tank but I haven't had to use them yet. I will probably end up removing them the 1st time I do a big cleaning, but that's another idea that's worked for me in the past. (2&4)

They're basically wells created with plexiglass and silicone, with rows of holes (any drill, dremel, or even a hand drill) for the mist to escape. I use the inexpensive mist makers from Amazon and put them on timers. You should put some egg crate in at least one side if you can't find a way to keep the crabs from getting in. This last build, I made it so the top of the well meets the lid and they can't get in. The last time I didn't and one of my crabs almost drowned. But make sure you measure better than I did! My wells were way too deep this time and should have another 4 inches of holes to be more effective.

Pics are below. Both methods would mean disrupting your crabs for a solid week. But if you want to keep them, it may be worth it for you.

No matter how nice the tank environment is, I rarely see all but my oldest crabs. All of my newbies are dug down and come up for a quick bite, peek around and back under they go. It may take months, or years before they're comfortable enough to roam freely in my presence and not be terrified every time I tend to the tank, etc. And, I've had crabs in total for a bit over 4 yrs, not everything I did was successful. But it always seems like mine prefer to be under the sand during the winter months, whether it's coincidence or not.

Let me know if you have any questions.

ImageImageImageImage

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm in Harrisburg PA if you still prefer to rehome. I can't drive too far, but we can probably figure something out.

Topic author
Jjcohong

Post by Jjcohong » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:53 pm

You sound like an amazing owner. I would love to find
Some way to get us together between Harrisburg and Easton. Between our three rescue cats and dog and two preschoolers, I think these crabs would be happier with you. I will include everything I have bought for free in case you like any of it. I will put a pic up.

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:03 pm

Moving water is by far the best way to increase humidity; a fountain is far and away the best for that. As for temp, where you live you are going to have to get a UTH (at least one), put it on the side of the tank (NOT the bottom) above substrate level, and insulate it. Probably you will need to insulate around the entire tank (including the bottom, if it isn't on a wooden cabinet or other solid, non-conductive surface) for the cold months. In Jonesboro (NE Arkansas), I had to run two UTH's on the back of the tank, plus heat bulbs, plus insulate all the way around the tank in the coldest times. (I just kept the bottom of the tank insulated all the time, as you couldn't see it and it helped keep the temp more stable year-round).

However, you should know that crab-keeping is generally speaking not a very exciting or highly interactive "pet" experience. Even when not molting, they will typically spend all your waking hours underground or otherwise hidden, and the longer you have them, the longer they will spend molting (my big guy spent 18 months a couple of years ago--I thought he had died when he didn't come up in the spring with the other two--then he came up the NEXT spring, all freshly molted and ready to rock. So . . . you may just be realizing that they aren't particularly your thing--which is fine, if so!--there is a lot of misleading stuff about them to get people to buy them, but then you realize that they are actually a lot of work (and expense, frankly) to really get their living conditions right for them to even survive in captivity, and the main reward in keeping them is to find it rewarding to be always working toward giving them an ever-improving crabitat for the best quality of life in captivity that they can have. If that just isn't your thing, best wishes and I hope that works out with VickieG!
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" "Billie Jean" & "Mr. Jones"
MT and BJ jumbos now. Everybody excited to move somewhere warm and beachy.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:01 pm

While the plexiglass pool does sound like a good addition VickyG, I would encourage you to switch to glass. Silicone and plexi does not bond well, and eventually will fail resulting in a flood!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 pm

I will keep an eye on it. Thank you for the information.

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:21 pm

Thinking about it a bit more....The way I have it set up, any leak should go into the area you see with the seashells, which is separated from the habitat, rather than into the tank. It wasn't the reason I made it that way, but thank goodness for happy accidents! It will allow me to watch for any water leaks and give me time to remedy the situation. Thanks again for the heads up. Image

VickieG

Post by VickieG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:14 am

Have you decided what you'd like to do?