2 Crabs Need a New Home - Charlotte NC

Please create a new topic about your hermit crab(s) needing rehomed. Topic titles must start with city and state.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
Alwayscrabby

2 Crabs Need a New Home - Charlotte NC

Post by Alwayscrabby » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 am

Good morning! I’m so glad I found this page!! Not sure if anyone is open to any new additions but I was at my brother in laws house yesterday and wasn’t happy with the conditions their crabs were in. They are in a 20 gallon tank w sand and a small dish of water and some store bought hermit crab food. It’s kept on an outdoor covered porch and some of the sand looks pretty gross. His kids have lost interest and no one has seen the crabs in a while. I’ve never had a hermit crab before but I didn’t think they would make it long in that environment. Like no one has been changing the water/food out, I guess bc the crabs have been underground for weeks? The sand looked like there was mold in some spots.

My BIL said he was just going to bring them down to the creek to live which I’m sure would be a death sentence. I would take them before I let him do that but honestly I travel so much for work I’m hoping someone has room in their tank for some new buddies. I’d be happy to drive the tank and crabs to any adoptive homes within an hour of Charlotte, NC.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 2 Crabs Need a New Home - Charlotte NC

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Hello! You can look under the adopter section for your state and see if anyone is in your area. Please do not allow your BIL to release them. Hermit crabs are not native to NC. They would not survive.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Alwayscrabby

Post by Alwayscrabby » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Thanks you...I sent one pm to a lady in Charlotte but haven’t heard back yet. I told him that I’d take the tank and not to let them go. I honestly think they are molting (or dead :( )bc no one has seen them and the food hasn’t been touched. How would you know if they are alive or not? I don’t want to disturb them if they’re molting.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:17 am

You wouldn't. The time that it takes for a hermit crab to molt really varies. It's a wait and see game. It's too dangerous to dig. :) Hopefully your BIL gives them to you! Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Megantron

Post by Megantron » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Hi!

I can take your crabs!

Please email me themightymegantron at gmail.com