California Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

California Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:07 pm

California Adoptions[/b]
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

SanDIegoMermaid

Re: California Adopters

Post by SanDIegoMermaid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 am

SAN DIEGO

Currently, I have 10 PP in a 40 gallon tank. The tank has multiple water and heat sources plus an excellent misting system.
I started crabbing about 35 years ago!
Please contact me by email: bawdymermaid(at)gmail(dot)com

LAST UPDATED: 12/05/18
Last edited by SanDIegoMermaid on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pinksperfect

Post by pinksperfect » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm

SACRAMENTO

Hello i live around Sacramento area in Elk Grove. I really want to save/adopt a hermit crab in need! I am willing to travel about 20 miles from my city. My zip is 95758. I have a 44-50ish gallon tank and im looking for 4 hermits. Message me if you have any i can rescue! thank you!

LAST UPDATED: 07/14/18

hk94

Post by hk94 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:42 am

LOS ANGELES/NORTHRIDGE

Hello everyone! I currently have 10 crabs (6 PPs and 3 Es) in two separate 40 gallon breeder tanks. I've been crabbing for 10 years and absolutely love hermit crabs :) If anyone's interested in rehoming hermit crabs, please email me at jennkim922 at gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 08/04/19
Last edited by hk94 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

Urchin

Post by Urchin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm

San Francisco Bay Area

I am willing to drive several hours in any direction. I’m not comfortable with shipping.

I have 4 hermit crabs. 3 are jumbos and 1 is a medium. I’ve been keeping hermit crabs for 3 1/2 years. All of my crabs are adopted from families that couldn’t keep them.
I am looking to adopt hermit crabs that are a size medium or smaller, to try and prevent dominance fights. I have the necessary space to adopt multiple hermit crabs.

My hermit crabs live in a 90 gallon habitat, which has 11 inches of sand and an 18 inch climbing wall, with platforms, several hides, and an 18 inch cholla wood climbing tree. My setup includes multiple UltraTherm heaters, a humidifier, a UVB light, and a moon light.

I have salt and fresh water available at all times. What I feed my hermit crabs generally goes something like this: They always have additive free freeze dried krill, shrimp, and blood worms available. They always have a grain available, so usually oats, but sometimes barley, quinoa, or kamut. They get fresh veggies every night. They always have a green leafy vegetable, plus another type of vegetable, usually whatever we are eating. They get some type of fruit most nights as well. They also get various raw nuts, and hard boiled eggs a couple of times a month. I have dried coral and unbleached sand dollars available at all times. I also have cholla wood, and pine cones available for them. I don’t know how to post pictures of my habitat, but I would be happy to email pictures.

Please contact me by email:
fish2see (at) earthlink (dot) net

Thanks!

LAST UPDATED: 2/17/19
Last edited by Urchin on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VenturaHermit

Post by VenturaHermit » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:42 pm

Ventura, Ca
Updated!
Hi everyone,
I have 1 large, 2 medium and 2 small hermit crabs, all PPs. My first was inherited from a classroom and two more I purchased as companions before I learned there were other crabs in need of rehoming. Since then, I have adopted two more lonely, but we’ll cared for, crabbies who had been living alone for years, the last of their groups. And they have integrated perfectly well.

I have a 50 gallon tank, but would be open to going larger in the future. My new crabitat has a second level, tons of hides, cholla wood climbing structure, shell shop hanging nest I knitted and a lot of substrate surface area for digging down. So, I have plenty of room for any crabs in need.

I serve a variety of fresh foods everyday which is easy for me as I cook for my family everyday anyway.

I’m willing to drive 50 miles to pick up crabs in need of a new home.
All the best
Shonna
Shonna_boren at hotmaildotcom

LAST UPDATED: 01/31/19
Last edited by VenturaHermit on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Oakland, CA

Hello!

I'm a teacher and we have 2 PPs in our classroom. One is a teeny and one is between small/medium. I'm looking to adopt 1 teeny or mirco PP. I know that is a kind of specific. But I don't really want to buy one from Petco or Petsmart. They are currently in a 10g tank. It is filled with fake plants (apparently perfect for climbing according to my crabs), a coconut hut, lots of shells, a second level soap dish, a log, a little glass bowl hideaway (like a mini terrarium inside the tank), 2 water bowls (fresh and salt), and a food dish. There are 3 UTHs on the back and side to keep them extra warm since it is winter. But our humidity is stable at 80/85. Our crabs love popping up in the middle of the day to just stare and watch the craziness of my 8th graders. They get fresh fruits/veggies, freeze-dried bloodworm, Zilla Omnivore mix (dried fruits/veggies/calcium/crickets/mealworms/etc.), eggshells, quinoa, honey, and much more everyday. (Edit: And cuttlebone is available)

I'm willing to drive 50 miles!

LAST UPDATED: 02/11/19