California Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

California Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:07 pm

California Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

Dawn
Founding Member
Founding Member

California Adopters

Post by Dawn » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:23 pm

MOJAVE / KERN COUNTY

Hi all!

I'm still around and still have a place for hermit crabs who need a home. I'm in Mojave, California (Kern County) but I can usually drive just about anywhere in the state if a crab needs me. I don't need any more set up tanks but I will take them if you just don't want to hassle finding a place to put them. :banana:

You can find me on facebook https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma and I have a public photo album for my hermit crabs. You're welcome to take a look.

Happy crabbing, Everyone.

LAST UPDATED: FOUNDING MEMBER
Last edited by Dawn on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermit crab LOVER since March 2003.

If my advice doesn't help, please PM me right away. Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/ddisomma

SanDIegoMermaid

Re: California Adopters

Post by SanDIegoMermaid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:28 am

SAN DIEGO

Currently, I have 10 PP in a 40 gallon tank. The tank has multiple water and heat sources plus an excellent misting system.
I started crabbing about 35 years ago!
Please contact me by email: bawdymermaid(at)gmail(dot)com

LAST UPDATED: 12/05/18
Last edited by SanDIegoMermaid on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pinksperfect

Post by pinksperfect » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:52 pm

SACRAMENTO

Hello i live around Sacramento area in Elk Grove. I really want to save/adopt a hermit crab in need! I am willing to travel about 20 miles from my city. My zip is 95758. I have a 44-50ish gallon tank and im looking for 4 hermits. Message me if you have any i can rescue! thank you!

LAST UPDATED: 07/14/18

hk94

Post by hk94 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:42 am

SANTA CLARITA/LOS ANGELES/NORTHRIDGE

Hello everyone! I currently have 9 crabs (7 PPs and 2 Es) in three 40 gallon breeder tanks. I've been crabbing for 10 years and absolutely love hermit crabs :) If anyone's interested in rehoming hermit crabs, please email me at jennkim922 at gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 3/11/23
Last edited by hk94 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:12 am, edited 6 times in total.

Urchin

Post by Urchin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm

SAN FRANSCISCO BAY AREA

I am willing to drive several hours in any direction. I’m not comfortable with shipping.

I have 6 hermit crabs. 3 are jumbos and 2 are larges and 1 is a medium. I’ve been keeping hermit crabs for 6 years. All of my crabs are adopted from families that couldn’t keep them.
I am looking to adopt hermit crabs that are a size medium or smaller, to try and prevent dominance fights. I have the necessary space to adopt multiple hermit crabs.

My hermit crabs live in a 90 gallon habitat, which has 14 inches of sand and an 18 inch cork bark climbing wall, with platforms, several hides, and an 18 inch cholla wood climbing tree. My setup includes UltraTherm heaters, a heat lamp, a humidifier, and UVB light.

I have salt and fresh water available at all times. They have multiple natural shells in multiple sizes and varieties available at all times. What I feed my hermit crabs generally goes something like this: They always have additive free freeze dried krill, brine shrimp, blood worms and plankton available. They also get freeze dried salmon on occasion. They always have a grain available, so usually oats, but also sometimes barley, quinoa, wheat berries, or kamut. They get fresh veggies every night. They always have at least 3 varieties of green leafy vegetable, plus at least one other type of vegetable, usually whatever we are eating. They always have either coconut oil, honey or all natural peanut butter available. They usually have dried fruit available, as well as getting some type of fresh fruit most nights as well. Again, generally whatever we are eating. They also get a variety of raw nuts, and hard boiled eggs a couple of times a month. To keep them from being bored, they have a large forage pile full of various leaf litter, dried grasses, hay, dried seaweed, nuts, and seeds that gets changed up regularly. I have dried coral, broken urchin shells and sun bleached sand dollars available at all times. I also have cholla wood, and pine cones available for them. I don’t know how to post pictures of my habitat, but I would be happy to email pictures.

Please contact me by email:
fish2see (at) earthlink (dot) net

Thanks!

LAST UPDATED: 10/2/21
Last edited by Urchin on Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

teachincrabbie

Post by teachincrabbie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm

OAKLAND

Hello!

I'm a teacher and we have 2 PPs in our classroom. One is a teeny and one is between small/medium. I'm looking to adopt 1 teeny or mirco PP. I know that is a kind of specific. But I don't really want to buy one from Petco or Petsmart. They are currently in a 10g tank. It is filled with fake plants (apparently perfect for climbing according to my crabs), a coconut hut, lots of shells, a second level soap dish, a log, a little glass bowl hideaway (like a mini terrarium inside the tank), 2 water bowls (fresh and salt), and a food dish. There are 3 UTHs on the back and side to keep them extra warm since it is winter. But our humidity is stable at 80/85. Our crabs love popping up in the middle of the day to just stare and watch the craziness of my 8th graders. They get fresh fruits/veggies, freeze-dried bloodworm, Zilla Omnivore mix (dried fruits/veggies/calcium/crickets/mealworms/etc.), eggshells, quinoa, honey, and much more everyday. (Edit: And cuttlebone is available)

I'm willing to drive 50 miles!

LAST UPDATED: 02/11/19

acmross

Post by acmross » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 am

SAN JOSE

Hi! I live in San Jose, California and my partner, and we want 3 hermit crabs (definitely a strawberry, but the other two can be anything). We'd prefer babies, but a few years old is fine as well. We have everything to make them happy. 40 gallon tank, a humidifier, climbing wood, and more! We're so ready to have our babies, but we don't want to buy and contribute to the horrible pet shop cycle. We are so excited to know we can adopt! We are willing to pay for shipping or even travel up to 100 miles. Please private message me (PM).

LAST UPDATED: 01/27/21

sbaksh410

Post by sbaksh410 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 am

SAN FERNANDO VALLEY, CA

Hello! I live in the San Fernando Valley. I am looking to take in two hermit crabs. I have a 20 gallon long tank, so I would prefer small. Please message me, I have everything set up. Substrate at 5:1 playsand to eco earth ratio, 80/79 humidity + temp + thermostat. UTH in the back. Plastic plants/logs/coconut hut for climbing. Flying saucer for exercise. Saltwater mixed with dechlorinated (Seachem Prime) instant ocean, freshwater dechlorinatoed both with climbers. Greensand, spiriluna, worm castings, along with list of safe fresh vegetables/proteins.

Message me if you have any questions, I'd love to take care of your babies! Willing to travel up to 50 miles

LAST UPDATED: 01/30/21

MW05

Post by MW05 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:12 pm

LA COUNTY

Hello,

I live in LA County, CA, and I am looking to adopt at least 2 crabs.

I will be a new crab owner, but I have vast experience with various reptiles and exotics, and am researching thoroughly to make sure I will give great care to these interesting little creatures.

I will buy whatever is needed to give them the best habitat and care, and will gladly and very appreciatively accept any advice and suggestions.

I am willing to travel up to 40/50 miles.

LAST UPDATED: 06/26/21

Mgcrawford

Post by Mgcrawford » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:16 pm

SAN JOSE BAY AREA

Hi, I live in the San Jose Bay Area and am looking to adopt 2 crabs small to medium in size. I have everything for them including a temporary tank for them to settle into before adding to my 30 gallon tank. I've had crabs for about 9 years and don't mind traveling a bit to get them. Please email me at michele.g.crawford1 at gmail.com. Thank you

LAST UPDATED: 07/31/2021

thiendoan

Post by thiendoan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:57 pm

LOS ANGELES

[/b]HI all,
I.m new to this forum, nice to join this hobby with you all,
I'm living in Los Angeles California, and looking for a hermit crab for adoption, willing to drive 50 mile to pick up, please text me (Number removed by admin), if you have any! T.I.A

LAST UPDATED: 01/06/22

Girlymktj

Post by Girlymktj » Sun May 22, 2022 5:38 pm

SHERMAN OAKS

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Sherman Oaks, CA
How Far Can You Travel?: within Los Angeles area
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 29 gal, 2 crabs, PP
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 1 year
What You Are Able to Adopt?: 1 small or medium crab
I Would Like to Be Contacted By Email: girlymktj AT gmail.com

I would love to take in another crab if possible! I have two, one large and friendly and one small and shy and would love to add a third to the mix!

LAST UPDATED: 05/22/22

bixby20220625

Post by bixby20220625 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:28 pm

LOS ANGELES

Location (nearest large city, state, country): West Hollywood, California
How Far Can You Travel?: within the Los Angeles area
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: none currently
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: I haven't started yet
What You Are Able to Adopt?: 1–2 hermit crabs
I Would Like to Be Contacted By: private message

Hi there. I'd like to adopt one or two hermit crabs. I'm turning to the forum because I refuse to simply buy them; I only adopt animal companions. I'll house them either in a 10-gallon tank or the equivalent Exo Terra terrarium. I've thoroughly studied hermit crabs' needs (housing, diet, self-care (e.g., access to both fresh and brackish water), enrichment), and I' believe that I'll be able to provide excellent accommodations. There are no children in my home.

I'm also willing to provide updates to the surrendering guardian re the crab(s) (photos, including habitat conditions) for up to six months after adoption, upon request (a maximum of two updates/month for six months from the day of adoption).

Thanks very much!

LAST UPDATED: 06/25/22

Hyenafan

Post by Hyenafan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:43 pm

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, LOS ANGELES

Location (nearest large city, state, country): North Hollywood

How Far Can You Travel?: LA area

Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 60 gallons, 2, 1 PP and 1 E. They're both about golf ball size.

How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 6 years

What You Are Able to Adopt?: I'm currently looking for one E to be friends with mine. I haven't been able to find one to adopt so far and the Petco I know sometimes has them doesn't currently have any.

I Would Like to Be Contacted By: PM

LAST UPDATED: 02/08/23