DC, DE, MD, VA, WV Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

DC, DE, MD, VA, WV Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:22 pm

District of Columbia, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

Crabengers2015

Re: DC, DE, MD, VA, WV Adopters

Post by Crabengers2015 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Travel": Willing to travel 30 - 45 miles from home.

Tank: We have one (1) 55 gallon tank, two (2) 40 gallon breeder tanks, one (1) 125 gallon hermit vivarium with a 55 gallon topper and a 10 gal for isolation with room for growth.

Clan: We currently have 16 hermies at this time, 11 PP and 7 Eccies separated into tanks by size. We have two jumbo, mostly large, and some medium size hermies. Looking to add some exotics to our colony, but always willing to adopt a hermie in need!
:crabblush:
We feed our crabs fresh fruit/veggies, worm husks, seafood mix and health mix as well as organic crab mixes from fellow hermit enthusiasts and from our organic garden in our yard.

:crabbigsmile:

LAST UPDATED: 5/8/2019
Last edited by Crabengers2015 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mom to 16 crabs, 1 dog and 2 little girls.

buglock

Post by buglock » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:34 pm

Charlottesville, VA

How Far Can You Travel?: Can go to Richmond, VA if needed, most comfortable traveling about an hour - hour 1/2 or less out of Charlottesville
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 20 gallon tank with one large PP (recently lost his companion : ( ) tank temp is constant 76 F and humidity around 80, feed natural food, have two salt baths and one drinking water, coco fiber and sand substrate, lots of stuff to climb on, lots of empty shells. Crab is lonely : (
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 7 years
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Preferably one but possibly 2 PPs, hopefully around the same size (my crab is about 3-4")
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email - or - PM - . PM please

LAST UPDATED: 07/26/18

Brandie1109

Post by Brandie1109 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:25 pm

RESTON, VA (NEAR DC)

Hi!! We currently have two tanks with lots of extra space, one is a 55 gallon, the other is a 29 gallon. Neither tank is at full Crab capacity, so if you are in need of re-homing a crab or two, our crab family would love to have them:-)
Location (nearest large city, state, country):Reston, Va (near DC)
How Far Can You Travel?: up to 30 miles
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species:55 gallon with 20 topper, 29 with 29 topper. 5 crabs in the 55, 3 small in the 29.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: since August
What You Are Able to Adopt?:1-2
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email - or - PM - . Either is fine.
This Posting Was Last Verified On: 09/26/18

LAST UPDATED: 09/26/18
Last edited by Brandie1109 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:20 pm

Located in Northern VA

Willing to adopt in the metro DC area as well

I currently have one PP (my second one recently died) and I want a companion for her. She is small to medium sized. I have a 20 gallon tank with the works - 2 pools (freshwater and saltwater), deep substrate, several hides, moss pit, climbing bridge. I feed lots of fresh healthy food and supplement with food from The Hermit Crab Patch. My heat and humidity levels are great. I have tank heaters that stick to the outer walls and bubblers in the pool. Lots of great shells to choose from as well.

LAST UPDATED: 10/15/18

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 pm

Ok, so I also had to post in the other section since I’m right on the border with TN, so I hope it’s ok that I copied the previous post on the other thread to reshare! Thanks for looking, and considering us for your friend’s forever home.
Overmountain1 wrote:Hi! I am Sara, and my two boys are 10 & 13, and they help care for our crabitat and crabbies. They’re very hands off and responsible with the crabs, they just love watching their antics and seeing what they’re up to at any given moment. Perhaps a bit of that will wear off over time but who knows? Doesn’t matter bc I’m the primary caregiver and I’m ok with that! Image

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Bristol, Va/Tn

How Far Can You Travel?: 4 hours, maybe more with some planning....

Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: we currently have one 10 gallon, with just 2 teeny crabs, with eco earth and sand about 5” deep, a big climbing and hiding log, Moss pit, some greenery, fresh foods and freeze dried foods from reputable and recommended (by HCA members) dealers, 2 kinds of water, although I’m upgrading the pools tomorrow!

How Long Have You Been Crabbing? Less than a year, although I had crabs for several years as a young kiddo. We ended up giving them away then, but it was a positive sort of thing. This time, I’m all in, for 20, 30, or more years! And the kids know they may be theirs eventually after that too. Image

What You Are Able to Adopt?: 1-3 crabbies, no larger than ‘small’ size, just depends on what you’ve got and what we can work out. We will be upgrading to a larger tank before too long either way, so if it did get crowded it wouldn’t last long.
I attached a pic I took just now of Dave-Dave the Wonder Crab! (His pretentious superhero name, I told him it was a bit much but he didn’t listen.ImageImage)

I hope that answers any questions you may need to know. I’m available and looking actively- thanks!!

Last Updated: 02/09/19

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Travel: I am frequently in Newark DE and North East MD. I don't drive due to medical issues, but would likely be able to get a ride up to an hour away from home.

Number of crabs I can adopt: 1 medium or small

Updated on: 8/24/19

Hi Everyone!
I've owned hermit crabs for about 10 years now. A friend of my Mom's knew I loved animals and brought me back a crab from the shore. I did some reading and found out they are social creatures, so from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 hermit crabs. I also found out about the horrible conditions hermit crabs suffer when being collected from the wild and transported to pet stores. Once I discovered this, I vowed never to buy a crab again. Up until a few days ago I had two purple pinchers, Beau 7 years old and Katrina 5 years old. Unfortunately, Katrina just passed away leaving Beau alone. I'm not sure of the tank size because Beau lives in an odd shaped plastic terrarium. If I had to guess, the area would be close to the area of the bottom of a 30 gallon fish tank. I'll attach a picture of my complete setup for you to see. I provide my crabs with 2 fresh water dishes and one salt water dish. I give them a nice big flat lid for their food. They love to drag themselves right onto the dish and have their meals there. I give them a piece of regular cuttlebone for calcium as well as a big piece of mango flavored cuttlebone for a treat. I have 10-12 extra shells for them to choose from should their current shell become uncomfortable. I also provide them with 4 coconut huts to hide in, one in each corner. When I place the lid on the terrarium, There is a little plastic ladder attached to the mesh top, so the crabs can climb it and access the wire mesh on the top. Sometimes they like to hang from it and/or crawl around up there. I also recently made my own hermit crab climber/hammock out of jute twine. I use a mix of sand and moistened coconut fiber for their substrate.

Thanks to the HCA, I was able to rescue two hermit crabs in need of a home on 8/24/19. Of course my Beau decided to molt 2 days before. I was so excited to find him friends, and now I can't even put them together yet lol. So I am keeping the new crabs in a separate tank until Beau is up and about.

Hopefully you can view my tank photo by following this link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gYev4kQxSSMQEiN68
Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 3 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Wilmington, DE
How Far Can You Travel?: Willing to travel upwards of 3 hours away, I work in Northeast Philadelphia and attend college in Newark, DE at University of Delaware. I also volunteer at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ so I travel a bit in that area too.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: Two 50gs, one with six small PPs and one with a Halloween Crab.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: Professionally and academically, since April 2019. I've had Hermit Crabs before, but I was a less educated crab parent back then.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Anything in the crab family, not just hermit crabs. I can take set ups or create a new set up if need be.
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: Either works, but I do check e-mail more frequently.
Last Updated: August 11, 2019

Figured I'd post in with summer nearing it's end and crabs may turn up needing homes. :crabblush:
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)