NJ, PA Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

NJ, PA Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:51 am

New Jersey, and Pennsylvania Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:03 am, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

Akamistyeyes

Re: NJ, PA Adopters

Post by Akamistyeyes » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:48 pm

SOUTHWESTERN PA (NEAR PITTSBURGH)

Updated June 2022. My name is Deb. I live in Southwestern PA, near Pittsburgh. I am willing to travel 1.5 hours to pick up HC's who are in need of a safe place to call home. I am willing to split shipping. You can contact me at whitewoodD at gmail.com.

I have been caring for HC's for over 20 years. Now my big kids are graduated from college and my 11 yo son and I enjoy the crabs a lot.
I have four tanks. (110g, 90g, 75g, 65g) Currently I have 29 crabs, PP's and E's. Each of my tanks has at least 6" of playsand/EE mix, bubblers in the salt & fresh water pools, plenty of fake plants to crawl on, moss pit, climbing logs, coconut hides, play wheel, fresh & dried food daily, and plenty of extra shells of all different types in each crabitat. Humidity between 85-95% and temperatures controlled by thermostats on the Ultratherm UTH's. Each tank has a UVB light inside the tank as well.

The folks at each of the local Petco's know me by name and call me when they have someone drop off HC's to be adopted out. I have also told them they can give my email address to clueless patrons for me to help them properly set up a healthy environment for their crabs. I have been asked by two local pet rescue organizations to set up tables during their events to educate folks about caring for HC's.

Finally, I maintain a crabitat in a preschool. I aim to educate the children (and their parents) about the true needs of HC's before they go to the beach and bring one home unawares. One preschooler talked her cousin (well, probably the cousin's mom) out of buying a hermit crab at the beach one summer because of the care she was able to tell the family that the crab would need. :cheer:

So if you are in need of a safe landing place for your hermit crab, please feel free to contact me.
Happy crabbing...
Deb

LAST UPDATED: 06/09/22
Last edited by Akamistyeyes on Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

apple26

Post by apple26 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:22 pm

CENTRAL NJ

I am planning on starting a 10 gallon hermit crab habitat soon. It will be my first. I live in central NJ.

LAST UPDATED: 06/30/19
Last edited by apple26 on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonemor13

Post by jonemor13 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:28 am

NEAR OXFORD, PA

Hello!

I live about 40 minutes from Oxford, PA on the border of MD and DE. I am willing to drive almost anywhere in PA to help with adoptions or rehoming.

Any type of hermit crab is welcomed! I have primary experience with PP's and E's and have just started to work with strawberries, but would love to continue to grow my hermit crab family with other species! I have a comprehensive book for the various species and can provide the adequate temperatures, housing, and food for them since not all hermies are alike.

I have been a proud hermit cab owner for the past seven years, primarily dealing with Purple Pinchers and Ecuadorians. I have two purple pinchers, five Ecuadorians, and just recently got four strawberries. I have four tank setups. All setups have under tank heaters, UV/UB lighting, humidifiers, minimum 8 inches of substrate (I use a mix of baked play sand, coconut fiber, and sphagnum moss), and a mixture of live and fake plants. The 3 larger tanks all have removable climbing backgrounds that I build myself. I have fiber glass cut and attached using magnets for quick cleaning and to change between the tanks every now and then to keep things exciting! All backgrounds have cork bark, cholla wood, drift wood, coconut fiber mixed with excavator clay, and plastic flower pots for hiding spots and for live plants.

For my set ups, I have approximately a 70 gallon, a 55 gallon, a 40 gallon, and a 20 gallon. I also have two isolation tanks that are 10 gallons each. I split the different types of hermit crabs into the tanks so the species do not mix, this way I can better accommodate their needs and give them their preferred choices in food/shells/climbing backgrounds.

My crabitats also have a variety of shells with a wide range of openings for the hermies to check out and change whenever they wish. Some of the shells include jaded turbos, polished gold turbos, green turbos, tapestries, tulips, conch, Babylon areola, and nerites. The shells are cleaned once a month with the same saltwater solution for their dishes to keep them clean and to give me a chance to rotate the shells between the tanks.

I love to spoil my hermies with fresh food, dried food that I mix myself, and live plants that are safe and approved (chia sprouts, dandelions, and air plants primarily). I often make scrambled eggs with the shells included, boiled chicken, and fresh fish from the market (I trim the fish that I am going to eat for dinner and use the trimmings for the hermit crabs). I do not use store bought foods from pet stores because I like to have variety in their diets and do not always trust what is advertised. I also have cuttlebone in every tank and provide sources of carotene for the hermies. I love to give treats as well including honey, fruits, non-salted sardines, and coconuts that has been halved.

I can provide photos upon request (I am new to the association and am still learning how to navigate and post - still haven't learned how to post photos!)

If you think I might be a good match, or would like to know more contact me by PM or ask for my email! If I do not respond within two days, just shoot me another PM, sometimes the notifications get buried and I do not always see that I have messages on this forum!

LAST UPDATED: 07/02/18

yukon9575

Post by yukon9575 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 am

NORTHAMPTON COUNTY AREA - PA
WARREN & HUNTERDON COUNTIES - NJ

Hi if anyone is needing to rehome their Hermit Crabs please let me know will be happy to provide them a home with my crabs I currently have. I'm willing to drive anywhere within the Northampton County Area of PA and Warren and Hunterdon Counties of NJ. Feel free to reach out if your in need of a home for your hermit crabs.

LAST UPDATED: 07/14/18

John6458

Post by John6458 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:56 pm

YORK, PA

Looking to adopt . 2 more small or medium pps.meet
Tank size, crabs, and species: 20 gallon with 3PPs
Willing to drive 20 miles. Near i83 will go down to hunt valley md.

LAST UPDATED: 09/05/18

tadam13

Post by tadam13 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:18 pm

PITTSBURGH

Looking to adopt at least two crabs for my Daughter, we currently have one in a ten gallon tank and recently had one pass away. want to give the crib a better social life and my daughter is very into the idea of "rescue" crabs as opposed to pet store purchase. Please contact me if you are looking to give crabs up for adoption. Might be willing to take more that 2 especially if there is a bigger crabatat included. (we have a 10 gal currently and don't want to over crowd.)

thanks
tadam13 at me.com

LAST UPDATED: 01/09/19

Rachmomof2pa

Post by Rachmomof2pa » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:41 am

MONTGOMERY COUNTY PA

:crabbigsmile: Hello!
I am from Montgomery county Pa! I have a 55 gallon tank with 2 and another empty tank. I am willing to travel about 3-4 hours . So let me know if you need help getting rid of your hermits I will take them and good care!
Thank you so much!
Rach

LAST UPDATED: 07/28/19

nancat

Post by nancat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:53 pm

MONMOUTH COUNTY, NJ

Hi, my name is Nancy and I live in Monmouth County, NJ. I am willing to drive up to 1.5 to adopt a hermit crab in need of a home. I have a 20 gallon tank, with 2 PP’s, one is molting right now and I think the active hermie is lonely. My crabitat is nicely setup, with 6 inches of substrate (sand and Eco Earth), plenty of high quality hermit crab food (most of it I buy from THCP), crushed oyster shell to nibble on, lots of fresh food and veggies, a salt water bowl and a fresh water bowl, lots of hidey places, chollas branches to climb, plants, etc. I’ve had both of my hermit crabs for 10 years now. Please let me know if you need to find a good home for your hermit crab!

LAST UPDATED: 07/31/19

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud mama of:
4 cats: Spike, Smokey, Nina, and Fishybelly
Hermit crabs: Kimi, Dirk, Speedy, Little E, Big P

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Southeast PA, Closest Large City: Philadelphia

Travel: I can travel to DE and MD. I don't drive due to medical issues, but would likely be able to get a ride up to an hour away from home.

Number of crabs I can adopt: 1

Hi Everyone!
I've owned hermit crabs for about 10 years now. A friend of my Mom's knew I loved animals and brought me back a crab from the shore. I did some reading and found out they are social creatures, so from then on I always made sure to have at least 2 hermit crabs. I also found out about the horrible conditions hermit crabs suffer when being collected from the wild and transported to pet stores. Once I discovered this, I vowed never to buy a crab again.
Up until July 2019, I had two purple pinchers, Beau 7 years old and Katrina 5 years old. Unfortunately, Katrina passed away leaving Beau alone. Thankfully, I was able to adopt 13 crabbies through the HCA.

I just upgraded to a 55 gal tank. It's filled with 10" of play sand and eco earth for the substrate. I have a freshwater and saltwater pool. I installed 2 different size hamster wheels should any of the crabs want to go for a walk. I provide them with a constant supply of freeze dried/powdered foods, and also a couple of different fresh foods each night. I made my own second levels for them. I used plastic risers I bought from Amazon, and attached craft mesh and Cholla wood to them. They can hide underneath them as well. Cuttlebone and powdered calcium are always in the tank. I have many shells for them to choose from should they need a new "home". I have plenty of spots for hiding out. I have 2 sheets of egg crate on the back of the tank so the crabs can climb.
All of the crabbies are kept warm, moist and happy. :)

LAST UPDATED: 08/11/21
Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 15 times in total.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

The Crab Maid

Post by The Crab Maid » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Reposting my info here because I am in this area too.

How Far Can You Travel?: Willing to travel upwards of 3 hours away, I work in Northeast Philadelphia and attend college in Newark, DE at University of Delaware. I also volunteer at Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ so I travel a bit in that area too.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: Two 50gs, one with six small PPs and one with a Halloween Crab.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: Professionally and academically, since April 2019. I've had Hermit Crabs before, but I was a less educated crab parent back then.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Anything in the crab family, not just hermit crabs. I can take set ups or create a new set up if need be.
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: Either works, but I do check e-mail more frequently.

Figured I'd post in with summer nearing it's end and crabs may turn up needing homes. :crabblush:
- I was gone a few months due to health issues, but I am still actively taking in crabs of all kinds.

LAST UPDATED: 08/08/21
Last edited by The Crab Maid on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_φ(°-°=) ...... _φ( °-°)/ ...... φ(..)...... φ(..;) ..... φ(´д`o)

Hermiencraboo

Post by Hermiencraboo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm

BUDD LAKE, NJ

Hi. I’m new on this site. I live in Budd Lake, NJ. I could travel to summit. I’m having trouble with my teenage daughter and she wants to become a hermit crab rescuer. I think this is a great way for her to spend her time instead of social media. She seem very interested and we only have 2 crabs. I just purchase a 50 gallon tank tank and she’s designing the new crabitat. Don’t know how to pm you. We also have a 10 gallon tank. Maria

LAST UPDATED: 08/29/19

hermitmom2

Post by hermitmom2 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:06 am

CENTRAL/NORTHERN NEW JERSERY AREA

Looking to adopt one hermit crab in the central/northern New Jersey area. I currently have one in a 10 gallon tank. Used to have two but the other passed. Temp/humidity is optimum, 6in sub with EE/play sand, salt and fresh water, variety of food, extra shells, places to climb and hide. Willing to drive 45 mins.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. :crabblush:

LAST UPDATED: 09/27/19

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:24 pm

JERSEY SHORE, NJ

Willing to travel all of ocean county, NJ or just outside in Monmouth.

**looking to adopt small/medium Ecuadorian hermit crab(s).**

Currently have 4 PPs, small, in a 20g, more than enough room for them by their size BUT searching for a 55g currently. I use both sand and eco earth as substrate and once I find my bigger tank, I’ll be installing 2 bubbler pools for them to enjoy. 😃 I spoil my crabbies now as well as my fur baby. I absolutely love animals and am more than willing to show you my current set up as well as anything else you would like to see/know. Message me here whenever you’re ready as I cannot wait to give a loving, long term home to your lil E(s)!
Thank you!

LAST UPDATED: 12/04/19
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Apis_mellifera

Post by Apis_mellifera » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:37 pm

KING OF PRUSSIA, PA

My name is Ashley and I am looking to adopt a companion or two for my crab instead of buying. I had my crabbie-kid pair for several years and unfortunately one passed. I am looking for a small/medium companion or two as that is what I have space for. I am willing to travel to Philadelphia or any surrounding areas of King of Prussia.

I have had crabs for many years and presently I have a 20 gallon aquarium set up. My crabitat is set up with a day/night light cycle, a climbing wall, salt water and fresh water pools, heat mat, shells, and hides, etc. Along with fresh foods, I have a selection of 18+ dried foods that get rotated to offer lots of healthy varieties.

I'm looking forward to giving someone their forever home!

LAST UPDATED: 02/07/20