GA, AL, MS

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

GA, AL, MS

Post by HCA Adoptions » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:33 pm

Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

topbunkbear

Smyrna, Georgia (near Atlanta) willing to take in 1-2 crabs

Post by topbunkbear » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 pm

SMYRNA, GA

Im willing to pay for shipping. I have a 10 gallon tank with 1 small crab (between the size of a nickel and a quarter) and 1 medium crab (bigger than a quarter, but not huge). I have pure Ecoearth substrate, 2x water dishes, uth on the side of the tank, pellets (to supplement with a diet of fruits, vegetables, a calcium block, and sometimes popcorn as a treat) I have 10+ shells of varying sizes, decor, and more. I'm not an expert, but I want to make crabs as happy as possible!
Email me at topbunkbear123 at gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 04/08/19

Ciskiwitch

Rockmart, GA (NW GA) have room for 12 or more

Post by Ciskiwitch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm

ROCKMART, GA

We live in Rockmart, GA. Last year we ended up with two hermit crabs that came from one of those beachy gift shops. It was a vacation buy by a family member for our two children. Before we made it back to the hotel, I had already debunked what shop owner told us about that tiny little box being all you would need. I hit Amazon and we had a 10 gallon tank, a box of EE bricks, water dechlorinator, a box of instant ocean, food and water dishes and some cholla wood waiting for us when we got home. After some further reading on the drive home I found a shop on Etsy that had been mentioned in several FB groups that sold gourmet hermit crab food. I promptly ordered one of everything she offered. (How else would I know what the little angels preferred?) Both crabs were in those horrid painted shells. I added a whole basket of appropriate shells in hopes they would change. To our delight one of them snagged a nice turbo right away. Unfortunately, the second one grabbed the first one’s discarded painted shell. Since then she has stubbornly refused any other shells. We are still trying. I order a batch of new shells every few weeks and rotate them all routinely. In the meantime, she will just have the brightest shell in the colony.

Since that time we have acquired a couple more crabs. So we upgraded the tank to a 55 gallon. We keep the 10 gallon for an isolation tank. I’ve got one molter in that one currently and 3 active in the 55 gallon. I have set up both tanks in my home office so I can keep a good eye on them while I work. I have plenty of room in the office to add more tanks, if necessary. I have been rescuing other animals ever since I could walk. My Dad used to tell people that we had funded a wing on our veterinarian’s office with my rescues. So, it stands to reason that providing a good home to crabs that need one would be my next step. I do want more crabs. I am kind of hooked on them. (ok, more than kind of.) I just do not want to support the industry by purchasing more.

Our crabs want for nothing. I am constantly reading crab lovers groups to see what else my babies might enjoy. They now have two bubbler pools, a little tree house to climb into, plants and wood to hide under and around. One of mine likes to start in the tree house on one end of the tank and then climb from plant to plant to get all the way to the other end before taking a dip in the tank. She would rather sit on top of the tree house rather than inside it, as you can see from the photos.

If you have crabs that need a good loving forever home, I would love to provide that. We live in NW Georgia, within reasonable driving distance of Tennessee, Alabama, Florida and even the Carolinas in a pinch.

** When I previewed the post the images did not show up. I am going to insert the links to the photos in dropbox here to see they are more easily viewed.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m968cit2d1ax7 ... g.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hz13mlje3l61p ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yber40en5qz88 ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w0f9i99pfcmxl ... 3.jpg?dl=0

LAST UPDATED: 01/13/20
Charissa

"Family is something you create, not something you are born to. "

Wrendictive

Re: GA, AL, MS

Post by Wrendictive » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:32 pm

DUNWOODY, GA

Hi, I'm in Dunwoody, GA (North Atlanta). My mother gave in to a begging grandchild and purchased two hermits from a beach store without realizing how much care they actually need. I took them in a week ago and moved them from a tiny critter keeper to a 55 gallon tank with fresh food, sand/coco bedding, fresh and salt pools, hidey holes, and mesh for climbing.

Unfortunately, one of the poor little guys didn't make it. I think it was too stressed from the poor conditions it had previously. The other one seems to be recovering well and happy in the new home. But now it is alone with no mates.

I don't want to support the trade in wild animals being captured and sold, but I hate the idea of this lonely crab having no one to share it's new home with. I'd like to adopt two or three new friends.

I can travel approximately one hour from Atlanta to pick them up. Also, I am frequently in south Georgia (Tifton/Moultrie area). I could also meet near there.

LAST UPDATED: 09/11/20

Foxfire

Auburn, AL

Post by Foxfire » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:31 pm

AURBURN, AL

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Auburn, Alabama
How Far Can You Travel?: Up to an hour. I'm also willing to pay for shipping.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 36 gallon tank, two (3/8" shell opening size) Purple Pinchers. Also a 20 gallon tank for isolation/temporary housing.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: About a month
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Up to 5 crabs, preferably medium or smaller unless they come with housing.
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: email please: ashtonextraemail[at]gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 11/19/20

ejnolen

Birmingham Metro Area - AL

Post by ejnolen » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:44 pm

LEEDS, AL

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Leeds, AL (Birmingham Metro)
How Far Can You Travel?: Up to 30 minutes distance from Leeds
Tank Specs: 29 gallon tank with sand/EE substrate of varying depths (6-10"), two UTHs keep temp ranges in the mid-80s, fresh water and salt pools that keep humidity ranges 85-95%, lots of empty shells, and three hides.
Number of Crabs and Species: 2 crabs - Leah (PP) and Gracie (E) - both approx 1/2" shell openings.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: Two years. Each of our crabs has successfully molted at least twice. Our original crab (RIP Kenna) had molted 4 times and passed during her 5th molt/unsuccessful shell exchange (the unfortunate victim of an ant invasion when the weather changed) - hence our search for a new playmate for the rest of our crew.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: I can accept one more crab with our current tank conditions - species doesn't really matter, though we prefer Ecuadorians because they're simply so much fun to watch. We would much rather adopt than purchase from a pet store!

A pic of our setup can be found at this Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/pqjfmuZkwJYuTaDh9
Contact preference is by email: ejnolen(at)gmail(d0t)com

LAST UPDATED: 12/09/20
Momma to 2 wild kiddos: Mattie (7) and Ethan (3) and 2 crabs, Leah (PP) and Gracie (E). RIP Herma (E), Herma 2.0 (E), and Kenna (E).

averyanne

Post by averyanne » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 pm

ATLANTA, GA

Hello! My name is Aves and I am looking to adopt a few hermies! I have a 45 gallon tank with eco sub mixed with playsand (1:3), 80° tank temp never fluctuating more than 5 degrees. I also have my humidity 75-85%. I got 5 hermies from petsmart and sadly only one has made it through the acclimation process. I hate pet stores for their abuse of these poor creatures!! I would love some tank mates for my hermie Big Guy as I do not want him to get lonely. I have climbing spaces, hiding spaces, 6 inches of sub, leaves, dried flowers, fresh fruit and veggies with honey and oats, pellets and dried shrimp for fillers, and two pools, one salt and one fresh. I also have a digital temp and humidity gauge. I love hermies and would love to take on some and give a proper home to! Please reach out if you are in the Atlanta area! I live by Ponce City Market and don’t mind driving to pick them up!
My number is (NUMBER REMOVED BY ADMIN)

LAST UPDATED: 01/25/22
45g tank, 80-85° / 80-95% humidity, 6” of sub 1:3 ecoearth and playsand, 2 pools, hides, climbs, organic diet, sphagnum moss, bark, and dry wood.

anderemily

Post by anderemily » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:57 pm

ROSWELL, GA

Hello,

My son is interested in hermit crabs. We have been researching and reading books about them and discovering what we need to make them happy. Currently we have a 15 gallon tank, several hides that we have sanitized, fake trees and some logs. Our tank also has a hard mesh lid on it. We are in the process of getting additional supplies. Since this will be my son’s pet he will have the responsibility of taking care of it daily. He knows he has to mist it and feed it and change out food. We will supervise and monitor this as well. We are newbies though too so still have a lot to learn. I’m happy we found this post because after doing some research we are wanting to support rehoming rather than buying from a pet shop.
Thanks for consider us!
We live in Roswell and would be willing to travel up to 20 miles or pay shipping.

LAST UPDATED: 02/01/22

Mone_D

Post by Mone_D » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:36 am

Alpharetta, GA

Hello. I am Mone and have been keeping hermits for 3 years. So far I have 3 purple pinchers in a 40 gallon breeder and am willing to take in 2 larger crabs. I’ve noticed that my smaller guys REALLY love my large guy Cheech and feel as though a couple more bigger crabs would be great additions to the tank! I have a bunch of large shells that my 2 smaller crabs don’t fit in. I have gotten my tank LHCOS approved and am a member of their group. I am willing to travel 10 miles for adoption pick up.
I can be best contacted through my email: moneedarden AT yahoo.com

LAST UPDATED: 08/25/22

Wiccakittie

Post by Wiccakittie » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:25 pm

TUPELO, MS

Location (nearest large city, state, country): tupelo, Ms, itawamba
How Far Can You Travel?:1 hour or so
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species:20 gallon 2 purple pincher hermit crabs
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?:2 months
What You Are Able to Adopt?:3
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: wiccakittie444 at gmail.com Hi my name is tamera and I would love to adopt up to 3

LAST UPDATED: 04/10/23

stevenjmason

Post by stevenjmason » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:15 pm

ATHENS, GA

I am in athens GA.

I have experience have 2 very large brevimanus for many years until 15 years ago. I would be willing to adopt 2.

LAST UPDATED: 10/13/23

PJS299

Adopting two crabs

Post by PJS299 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:10 pm

Location (nearest large city, state, country):
Atlanta, GA (Mall of GA area)
How Far Can You Travel?:
Around 20 miles - 30ish minutes
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species:
I own one 50 gallon tank with one PP and one small iso tank
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?:
Around two years