MI, OH, IL, IN Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

MI, OH, IL, IN Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:44 pm

Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:03 am, edited 16 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Please PM the HCA Adoptions account if you are interested in a listed adoption or have questions about our adoption program.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: MI, OH IL, IN Adopters

Post by wodesorel » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 am

Columbiana County, OH

Currently running a 90 gallon PP tank, a 10 gallon tiny PP tank and a 29 gallon exotics tank. Not actively looking to adopt but have room to take a few!

I am always available for hermit crab emergencies between Salem, OH and Boardman, OH and can meet on short notice. Even if we are not able to adopt permanently, I can help with finding a local adopter and offer temporary housing.

We can also provide short or long term fostering/boarding so long as you can supply substrate. Having managed an animal shelter in the past, I know that sometimes we're forced into making the choice to rehome our pets when really all we need is a short-term solution until the situation changes. Please note that for fostering/boarding there is a basic contract that will need signed so that everyone involved knows what to do in case of problems.

LAST UPDATED: 06/2/22
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

rainbow_crab

Re: MI, OH, IL, IN Adopters

Post by rainbow_crab » Sun May 12, 2013 11:26 pm

MORROW COUNTY, OHIO

How Far Can You Travel?: prefer no more then an hour .
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 75 gallon, & 165 gallon. Total of crabs: 28 I have 8 Es the rest are pps. My tanks are kept around 80 to 90 degrees and the humidity around the same with some fluctuation on misting days . Plenty of deep substrate, a mix of coco fiber and sand. Fresh and salt water pools. I have a complete second level built in both tanks to maximize climbing space Theres moss pits, shell shacks. , mineral dishes. There is lots of cholla wood and antlers for climbing, coco huts for hiding. I keep two different food dishes in each tank, one with dry foods, the other for fresh fruits, veggies, and meats.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 8 years
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Emergency take ins- no permanent homes currently. No experience with exotic crabs but would love to have some! (I have many spare tanks I can set up if needed for new crabs. ).

Extra- each tank is check for temp and hum daily, lots of fresh fruits, veggies and meats offered. also use food from the hermit crab patch.

I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email - or - PM - . either is fine. But I will see my email first since I'm not often on the site. email is rainbowcatco at gmail.com
if you have any questions about my tank set up please feel free to message me

LAST UPDATED: 08/10/20
Last edited by rainbow_crab on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Schenk

Post by Schenk » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:48 pm

CHICAGO, IL

I am located in Chicago, IL and have plenty of space to adopt hermies. I have a large bow tank just waiting for move ins along with a 75 gallon tank that has 5 PPs waiting for company.

LAST UPDATED: 02/06/22
Last edited by Schenk on Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
aka: Wizkidsmom
9 PPs
75 Gal tank

nene

Post by nene » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:43 pm

OHIO

Experienced Crabby Mommy for about 13 years Willing to adopt in Ohio ( Columbiana county area, but willing to meet if not too far away) ! I have six crabs currently in a 40 gallon terrarium. I would love to add more! If you have any questions please don't hesitate to send me a message!

LAST UPDATED: 09/05/19
Last edited by nene on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

STACYSMOM

Post by STACYSMOM » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:23 pm

OSWEGO, IL - CHICAGO SUBURBS

I have 2 tanks - one 75 gal, one 40 gal - have been rescuing hermits for 11 years, closed 2 walmart live pet depts and work with pet stores to improve their handling of hermits since they have such little knowledge - and if I can't convince them to close it, I work with them - education is everything - have pics of my tanks at petco and petsmart to show what they SHOULD look like - I am willing to drive to get them, and will make more tanks as needed - - here to help whenever needed!

LAST UPDATED: 07/31/19

Emollie

Post by Emollie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pm

KENT OR EASTLAKE, OH

How Far Can You Travel?: Within the nearest couple of cities (Ravenna, Stow, Willoughby, Eastlake, Mentor, etc.)
Size of Tanks: A 20 gal, and a spare 10 gal
Number of Crabs, and Species: one purple pinscher, another on the way. Current purple pinscher is a jumbo size.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: A little over two ears.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: 2-3 purple pinschers, any size.
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email: emollie97 at gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 06/26/18
Last edited by Emollie on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theworldisgonna

Post by Theworldisgonna » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:23 am

STREETSBORO/RAVENNA, OHIO

Looking to permantley adopt around 3-5 hermit crabs. Preferably smaller ones as I currently have two small crabs.

Distance: ~45 minutes, more if need be
Habitat: 10gal isolation tank and a 20gal long tank with plenty of room and substrate (sand, EE 5:1). Eventually 10gal tank will be added to the 20gal as a second level (silicone sealed extension to allow more room for climbing.
Contact: either Alex.solon@icloud(dot)com or text at (Number removed by Moderator

LAST UPDATED: 09/10/18

nicolebaginski4

Hermit Crab Rescue

Post by nicolebaginski4 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm

MUNSTER, IN

Hi! I'm Nicole and I run a hermit crab rescue, nwihermitcrabs.net! We can travel within 80 miles of 46321.

LAST UPDATED: 01/16/19
my many animal babies include lots of fish, a dog, 3 hermit crabs, and a tortoise :) .

Buggzter

Post by Buggzter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:35 pm

YPSILANTI, MI /JUST OUTSIDE OF ANN ARBOR

I'm willing to travel about an hour if needed to meet to help out! :D I've had crabbies (PPs) for a few years, currently 7 small to mediums in my 6' long tank. Fresh and salt water pools, deep eco earth/sand mix to dig in, various woods and fakes to climb on and hide under. No issues lately, I lost two small guys at their first molts after the pet store, but the rest are all going strong.

I know life can throw curveballs on occasion and you can't manage to care for things the way you wanted (been there before). Or, if you just have a single hermit left and you don't want to leave him alone? Yep, that's why I'm willing to help out. I have plenty of room for any who need a "bed" here.

Best contact is my email, no spaces: ksedlmay @ med . umich. edu during the week/business hours or (NUMBER REMOVED BY ADMIN). I'm only on the board mostly to look up info and see how people have changed things up in crabitats - PM's are unreliable to reach me. :wink:

LAST UPDATED: 06/22/19

baileeleo

Post by baileeleo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:29 pm

COLUMBUS, OH

Looking to adopt 3 little guys for my fully equipped 29 gal tank! Willing to drive an hour to pick them up and also willing to pay for shipping if needed. Really hoping to give a good home to some crabbies in need. Tank is currently empty but I have had hermit crabs in the past!

LAST UPDATED: 06/24/19

Stephjan51015

Post by Stephjan51015 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 am

AURORA, IL

I am in Aurora Il, been caring for my current crabs in a 40 gal (2 medium size and two small and I can re-home one more small (but I am keeping my eyes open for bigger tanks ! :cheer:

LAST UPDATED: 08/04/19

chess_1

Post by chess_1 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:11 pm

SOUTH BEND, INDIANA

How Far Can You Travel?: 30 minutes-1 hour(for emergencies)
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 10 gallon(iso tank), 29 gallon. 3 medium purple Pinchers at the moment.
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 6 years
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Pretty much anything that is species friendly. Only have room for possibly one small crab. Will be getting a larger tank soon.
I Would Like to Be Contacted By Email or PM. Both are fine.

LAST UPDATED: 11/5/20
Last edited by chess_1 on Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maranimal530

Post by maranimal530 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:04 am

MUNDELEIN, IL

Looking to adopt up to 3 more crabs! My boyfriend and I currently have two and would love to add more little guys to our hermie family. We currently have a 10 gallon tank, but I’m looking for a larger one to hold more crabs. We’re in Mundelein, IL and I’d be willing to pay for shipping or drive up to an hour to pick up the crab(s). We love the two little guys we have now and are excited to add more to the family!

LAST UPDATED: 10/25/19

PattyJ4437

Post by PattyJ4437 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:37 pm

CINCINNATI, OHIO/NORTHERN KY/SOUTHEAST INDIANA (TRI STATE AREA)

How Far Can You Travel?: 75 miles
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 10/20/55gallons 10 purple pinchers-5 small/5 medium
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: steadily for 2 years
What You Are Able to Adopt?: any species of land hermit crab
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email - or - PM - . email please
This Posting Was Last Verified On: 1/27/2020
All crabitats include:
8 inches of play sand and eco earth 5:1 ratio
Heated to 85-90 degrees
Humidity levels are at 85-90 %
Water is salt and distilled fresh in pools deep enough to submerge with bubblers (this helps with humidity levels as well)
Food is all natural diet- fresh fruits/veggies rich in beta carotene/seeds/meal worms/shrimp/egg shells/crushed oyster shells/cuttle bone
Treats are organic peanut butter, pure honey, pureed baby food wheat crackers/coconut/unsalted popcorn
Shell pit - 6 shells for each crab (2 same size and 2 smaller and 2 larger) they love throwing these around hilarious to watch!
Moss pit- also helps with humidity- they love to hang in here
My claw kids are VERY spoiled, very active and thriving I just love them! If I could figure out how to post pics on here, I definitely would! I am very proud of my crab colony.

LAST UPDATED: 01/27/20