TX, LA Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

TX, LA Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:19 pm

Texas and Louisiana Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated

Sschottel

Re: TX, LA Adopters

Post by Sschottel » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:57 pm

SEABROOK, TX

Located in Seabrook, TX (outside of Houston)
How Far Can You Travel?: 50 miles
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 20 gallon, currently only have one, pp
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 3 years
What You Are Able to Adopt?: My family would love to adopt 1-2 hermit crabs. We currently have two we'll-established hermit crabs in need of a buddy or two. I follow all of the guidelines listed in the care sheet. We have a several inch mixture of play sand and coconut bedding, lots of shells, salt water, purified water, good humidity, etc. I give our current guy fresh treats, egg shells, and hermit crab food. PM me or email me at sschottel at comcast.net

LAST UPDATED: 09/04/19
Last edited by Sschottel on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:25 pm

LAKE CHARLES, LA

How Far Can You Travel?: I'm in the lake charles area, i can travel roughly 50 miles
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 80 gallon bow front tank with 3 PPs and 1 E
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: Since 2017
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Purple pinchers and Ecuadorians
I Would Like to Be Contacted By: You can email me at ciaraalston1 [at] gmail [dot] com or you can PM me here, either is fine.

My substrate is made up of a mix of eco earth, play sand, crushed oyster shells and leaf litter. I feed a variety of dry foods with occasional fresh foods. The dry foods come from TheHealthyHermit. They also have a dish for honey coral calcium powder, a dish for worm castings, and a dish for green sand. Temperature ranges from 78F to 85F, usually around 82F. The humidity stays around 85%, i have bubblers in each water bowl. The fresh water is treated with Seachem Prime, the salt water is treated with Seachem Prime and Instant Ocean. I keep oak bark, cuttlebone, worm castings, and various other treats in the tank. I've added isopods as well. For toys, they have a hamster wheel, plenty of cholla wood for climbing, fish net, and plenty of fake vines. Please feel free to PM me with any questions! :)

LAST UPDATED: 05/18/19
Last edited by ciaraalston on Sat May 18, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

deanfamily

Post by deanfamily » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 pm

CARROLLTON, TX (OUTSIDE OF DALLAS)

(Willing to travel within the DFW area)
We are located in Carrollton, TX
Hello! We are looking to adopt our son/daughter a hermit crab or two. (We prefer pairs but are willing to collect a compatible second over time)
Personally, I raised hermit crabs for several years when I was a teenager/early twenties, and I loved them. I always thought they were fascinating and enjoyed playing with and caring for them. We know all the techniques and important parts in managing their needs and environment, and want to encourage our children to pursue interests in all animals- especially unconventional ones!
Please email me if you are looking for a permanent home for your hermit crab(s)! Reigh, Chris, Jet and Lucca

LAST UPDATED: 10/01/19
Last edited by deanfamily on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

BettaCrew

Post by BettaCrew » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:07 am

FORT HOOD, TX AREA

I am willing to drive 50 miles. If needed, I can pay for shipping.

I currently have 8 PPs.

They are housed in a 250gal tank with 7 inches of 5:1 Quikrete Play Sand/EcoEarth. I have two coconut hides with moss inside that each hang like coffee cups in thur front corners of the aquarium. I also have a moss pit inside a shower caddy that the hermies can get to via a Petco wacky stick (back right corner). They sometimes sleep on the wacky stick. In the center of the tank, I have two driftwood pieces purchased from a fish store I enjoy, know, and trust. The hermies love to climb that and sometimes sleep on that as well.

I use a humidifier that maintains humidity in the 90s. Temperature is usually 80-83°F. I use Instant Ocean in the saltwater pool (water treated with Seachem Prime beforehand) and spring water in the freshwater pool. I have white river rocks in the pools that are built up in one area for entry/exit.

I purchase my hermie food from the organic section of HEB or from HermitCrabPatch. I also grow some veggies/flowers organically in my gardens.

I have 15 shells in my shell mall (and am always looking to add more if you have any). Dora has completed one molt. Hermie 3 has just completed its second molt.

It is best to contact me via aappenzllr[at]aol[dot]com because I can check that at work very easily/quickly.

LAST UPDATED: 04/13/19

singingcricket

Post by singingcricket » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:42 pm

HOUSTON, TX AREA

We are located in Houston, TX. Am willing to travel up to 3 hours one way. We have had crabs for 11 years.

We have three crabs of medium to large size: Shenanigans, Sherbert, and Jimmy

Brief description of their crabitat:

40 gal breeder. currently ~13 inch sand (hermit crab patch substrate mix). Black paper up to sand level around 3 /2 sides for darkness during molts. 1 large water dish fresh + 1 dish salt (instant ocean salt mix), 2 large hidey huts, 1-2 cholla wood sticks, large climbing wood, 3 small hidey huts. 2-3 medium food dishes (one for calcium / supplements) (we usually order various hermit crab patch mixes). 1 temperature, 1 humidity gauge. 1 Tropic Aire humidifier. 4 side panel heaters used as needed, but haven't needed since now we keep heat on 75F in their room through winter. Also have 1x of 20-gal and a 1x of 10-gal back up tanks and a few small totes. Large selection of shells and decor to change the tank around.

LAST UPDATED: 08/30/19
Last edited by singingcricket on Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TrippMachine

Post by TrippMachine » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:07 pm

AUSTIN, TX

How Far Can You Travel?: 20miles
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 55gal, 4 crabs, 3PP, 1 Ecuadorians (the baby)
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 10yrs
What You Are Able to Adopt?: small, med, and large hermmies.
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or pm: either or both

Im updating my tank and so far this is how it is:
Just added a 5lb bag of Psand, salt and fresh water pools that my largest can submerged in (XL pp daddy), starting with a climbing 2nd lvl going to add more to it, their shell area is behind the palm tree bark (that I boiled like crazy) with about 20 shells in total everywhere from 1in to 3in (I do have even smaller shells but are not in the tank because the littlest baby is to big for them now), have there moss pit by the water half in a pot, at least 3 hiding places (I have more that will go on the 2nd lvl), I usually use a heating lamp because they always stay super far away from any pads no matter what size or where I put them but the tanks been a steady 80-85F humity 77-81 next to the window (momma PP loves to look out it and gets mad when its closed), have one of those thermostats that do humidity and heat. They will be moved for winter dont worry. Also the lid was ajar due to me in the middle of moving everything and putting things in but it fully closes off the top.

All 4 of my babys are super friendly and love to play all night long! The littlest of the 4 likes to get piggy back rides for momma PP and our XL pp follow them around haha. They will even go to the side of the tank sometimes if they see you to say hi then run away and the 3 of them love to look out the window!

LAST UPDATED: 09/11/19

Kgauthier

Post by Kgauthier » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:46 am

PINEVILLE, LA

Willing to travel up to 2 hours away
I am relatively new to Crabbing. My tank is being made into a cozy home for 2 Crabbies who need a home. I have a 20 gallon that i am preparing for them.
I would like to adopt so that my daughter can learn some responsibility and how to to be gentle. we have 2 large german shepards and a 4 month old baby, so she already knows, but i think this would be a good learning lesson in being a good care taker. Obviously she will not be left alone with the crabbies and the tank lid will be locked with child proof locks.

LAST UPDATED: 10/16/19

mool

Post by mool » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:29 pm

AUSTIN, TX

I'll adopt in the Austin, Texas area. Willing to travel throughout Williamson and Travis counties. Would consider other nearby counties as well.

I'll accept crabs from further away if you're willing to meet half-way or bring them to me.

I have been keeping crabs since around 2007 and am very experienced. I currently have a 40B with 5 crabs, and empty 20T and as of this weekend will have a 75 gallon tank.

LAST UPDATED: 03/21/21

Rearae05

Post by Rearae05 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:12 pm

LLANO, TX

Llano, Texas
Willing to travel up to an hour to pick up
Not experience with shipping crabs
I have had hermit crabs for about 2 years. I have a fully set up 29 gallon with one small, two small-medium, and one larger crab. I am unsure of specific breeds right now. I also have another 10-15 gallon tank that can be set up with notice. I have adopted crabs before in the past. I have plenty of shells of every size and my tank humidity is very good.
You can contact me at soccergymnasticsgenius AT gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 11/28/21

turtletongs

Re: TX, LA Adopters - Lubbock, TX

Post by turtletongs » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:01 pm

LUBBOCK, TX

Lubbock, TX
Willing to drive 2 hours (around 120 miles)
I have owned hermit crabs in the past but I just set up a new enclosure

40 breeder with 6 inches of substrate. If you are looking to rehome larger crabs, I will increase the substrate amount. 5:1:1 sand, ecoearth, and orchid bark. Lots of hiding and climbing places, good humidity and temperature, salt and fresh water, leaf litter, and uva/b light. I am waiting to know what size shells I need, but I intend to have 5-7 per crab.

You can contact me at audrey.k.allen14 AT gmail.com

Thank you!

LAST UPDATED: 01/14/22

Mrsbruce

Post by Mrsbruce » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:58 am

TEXAS

Hello fellow crabbers!

I am looking to adopt 1-2 hermit crabs for my daughter. We have two super small crabs at the moment
Our tank is 30 gallons but willing to upgrade as needed. We follow the guidelines sheet for all substrates and lightning. We will use hermit grub feed from Etsy. And add saltwater additive to one water dish and fresh water additive to the other dish of water. Forgive me I can not remember the name of them. Both dishes they can submerge themselves safely in and we had a ladder out of them as well. They get a uv light from 7am till 7 pm. We home school. They will be very well taken care of and loved. We live in the Beaumont area. I'm willing to travel up to 70 miles

LAST UPDATED: 09/20/22

burrdeanfam

Post by burrdeanfam » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:48 pm

DALLAS, TX

How Far Can You Travel?: 75 miles, but we might be negotiable!

Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species:

How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: I kept hermit crabs for around 7-8 years as a youth until I was 18. I was able to facilitate shell swapping and survive several molts, handled my crabs well, had a beautiful habitat, and really enjoyed having such interesting and dynamic pets, but had to leave them to a family member's care when I went to college.

What You Are Able to Adopt?: We'd like to adopt 2-4 hermit crabs, smaller would be better and don't have a preference between Ecuadorian or Carribean 🙂

I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: Email, please! burrdeanfam@gmail.com

LAST UPDATED: 01/28/24