IA, MN, WI Adopters

List of local adopters by state. If you would like to adopt through the HCA, please add a new post to your state's topic.

Moderators: HCA Adoptions, Staff Accounts

Topic author
HCA Adoptions

IA, MN, WI Adopters

Post by HCA Adoptions » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:58 am

Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin Adoptions
If you are looking to adopt hermit crabs, please make a small “want ad” here!

Read through this before posting:
[For Members Who Wish To Adopt:]

You must include your general location and how far you are willing to travel. If you are willing to pay for shipping, that would be a good thing to know as well. You should write about your experience with hermit crabs, your enclosure, and anything else you think an owner looking to rehome should know so that they choose you as their crabs’ new home. Remember to list how you would like owners and the Adoption Coordinator to contact you if PMs are not your first choice. Thank you!
Last edited by HCA Adoptions on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated

JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Re: WI, MN Adopters

Post by JediMasterThrash » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:02 pm

TWIN CITIES, MN

Veteran adopter glad to give your hermitses a new home.

I have a 92g tank with 6 inches of 5:1 playsand/EE mix, large separate fresh and salt-water pools, night and day heat lighting and side-mounted UTHs. Plenty of play spots, climbing, second levels, and extra shells.

(Yearly bump 8-1-2013)
(Yearly bump 3-26-2014)
(Yearly bump 5-23-2015)
(Yearly bump 10-5-2016)
(Yearly bump 11-27-2017)

LAST UPDATED: 11/27/18
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Joyrew

Re: IA, MN, WI Adopters

Post by Joyrew » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:07 pm

WEST DES MOINES, IA

Hello,

I am in West Des Moines, IA. But am willing to travel within Central Iowa. I have 2 20 Gallon Habitats. I have been crabbing for about 11 years. I have 3 small crabs currently, and am looking to adopt more. One of my enclosures is completely empty. :( I am willing to adopt singles or colonies. I would prefer to pick up, but am willing to split or reimburse for shipping.

I work from home and love spoiling my crabbies. They get plenty of attention. I can assure that any crabs under my care will be well taken care of. Please feel free to PM me.

:crabbigsmile:

LAST UPDATED: 09/07/19

Someoneman

Post by Someoneman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm

EASTERN IOWA, IOWA CITY AREA

How Far Can You Travel?: I'm willing to travel an hour or two, so eastern IA including the Quad Cities.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 65 gal and a 20 gal (currently empty, used as ISO for new crabs), 2 PPs, a jumbo and a small
How Long Have You Been Crabbing: about 9 years now
What You Are Able to Adopt: I'll take PPs and Es, exotics case by case, I'd have to check whether I can meet their needs. I have sufficient room for another jumbo or numerous smaller crabs
I Would Like to Be Contacted By: Email, I don't check my PMs here nearly often enough

LAST UPDATED: 3/25/2020

Cassiemae2020

Post by Cassiemae2020 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:26 am

TWIN CITIES/NORTH METRO, MN

How Far Can You Travel? Northern Twin cities area or Rochester MN area.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 50 gal ExoTerra terrarium. 3 crabs. 2 small, 1 medium. Unsure on species but they are all 3 verry active and have red eyes! (Much more active than previous ones)
How Long Have You Been Crabbing: about 14 years
What You Are Able to Adopt: I would like another medium golfball sized crab for a companion for Tiggy but will consider all sizes within reason compared to the other ones. I have many shells of different sizes. I think i could accomidate up to 2-3 more crabs. All 3 get along well, and did with Arnold who was a jumbo crab (adoped with the 2 small ones) as well as dazzle who I had about 9 years and was older.
I Would Like to Be Contacted By: Email or PM

I am willing to discuss shipping options but would prefer to pick up if possible.

LAST UPDATED: 04/06/20

C_fiesta

Post by C_fiesta » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:50 pm

ST PAUL, MN

Location (nearest large city, state, country): St. Paul, MN
How Far Can You Travel?: It depends, but let's talk! We have family in Brainerd area and sometimes travel up that way. We also have family in Wisconsin (Green Bay area) so we also travel that direction occasionally. If we're on our way somewhere or you can meet us on our way, we can take them.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 1 tank, 65 gallon with all the good stuff that crabs need, 5 crabs (1 XL, 2 L, 2 M), all Purple Pinchers
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 3 years, but I've been an HCA member for 5 because I love hermit crabs!
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Anything pretty much, I have room for 4 more -- maybe more especially if they come with a tank. Let's talk!
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: Email preferred! christinescrabcare(at)gmail(dot)com

LAST UPDATED: 06/18/20
Hey! I'm Christine! I have 5 hermit crabs. Join me on Instagram @christinescrabcare. Also, checkout my Etsy shop www.etsy.com/shop/christinescrabcare

HermieBingo

Post by HermieBingo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:28 am

ELK RIVER, MN

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Minneapolis, MN (but, between St. cloud and Minneapolis)
How Far Can You Travel?: 45 min, but can vary.
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: Have a 20 gallon long with 2 PP's (large). but can take both a tank and crabs. If I get more hermit crabs, I will upgrade to a bigger tank, like at least 40 gallons. Or if I get small ones I will have them use the 20 gallon and upgrade my larges into a new, bigger, tank. I am obsessed with crabbing (and fish keeping) so I eventually do want to get more tanks, hopefully! I do a lot of research and any crabs I take in I will work my hardest to spoil them! lol
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: 2014-2015 & 2020-to now.
What You Are Able to Adopt?: PP's (any size), 1-2 crabs.
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: PM.

LAST UPDATED: 03/25/2021
Last edited by HermieBingo on Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
My only crabbie Charolette :)
R.I.P. Bingo

Hildalkm

Post by Hildalkm » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:42 am

AMES, IOWA

: north of Ames, Iowa 🌽
How Far Can You Travel?: couple hours depending on season.🌎
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 2, 75 Gallon with 40 gallon connecting topper. 40 gallon breeder with 30 gallons of topper. 9 pps, of varying sizes. 🐚🐚🐚
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: early 2021-present

What You Are Able to Adopt?: Any, (40 gallon currently being set for exotics. Would love to start a small colony there 🌴🌴) would also love to expand our family of pps.

I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: Either (PM less likely to end up in spam 😏)
:crabbigsmile:

LAST UPDATED: 10/16/2021

SaryKBeez

Post by SaryKBeez » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:27 pm

BLOOMINGTON, MN

I am in Bloomington, MN. I’m “new” to crabs, as in I don’t yet have any. But i’ve been learning EVERYTHING from CCS, LHCOS, and HCA!

I have a 29 gallon so far, and will have it up and running soon to make sure i can keep heat and humidity (but mostly heat) up during our cold months!

I could take 3 medium crabs, or more small-tiny crabs, depending on size. If you’ve got a tank up for grabs, i could take more!

Willing to travel a number of hours!

LAST UPDATED: 01/05/22
Last edited by SaryKBeez on Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rlpickle

Post by Rlpickle » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:10 am

EAU CLAIRE, WI

Location (nearest large city, state, country):
How Far Can You Travel?: An hour or two max
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 20 gallon, no crabs yet!
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: I haven't! I'm new but very educated on caring for invertebrates and do the research for hermits
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Any
I Would Like to Be Contacted via Email or PM: PM or email

LAST UPDATED: 2/12/23

Mallery

Post by Mallery » Mon May 29, 2023 9:50 am

CENTRAL IL

Small town Cental IL, Canton
"some areas of Iowa are no further from me than galesburg or peoria"

Location (nearest large city, state, country): Peoria or Galesburg IL
How Far Can You Travel?: a little ways!
Size of Tanks, Number of Crabs, and Species: 2- 10 gal tanks and 2 hermits at the moment
How Long Have You Been Crabbing?: little over 6 months, never knew they would be so interesting and fun!!
What You Are Able to Adopt?: Any species of land hermit crab or any species of hermit crab with a little notice
I Would Like to Be Contacted By - Email - or - PM!! Either I am keeping my eye open I Have been looking to get a few more Krabbe's! this would be perfect. I actually got my first two on vacation.
This Posting Was Last Verified On: 5/29/23

My Crabs live in at least 6 in sand and eco earth moss ratio.
Heat supplement provided so that humidity levels are sufficient, with salt and freshwater pools. They have a small shell of crushed pellets available all the time just in case "although they never touch it", They get fresh natural food: including meat, fruit, veggies, coconut, eggs, crushed oyster shells w/ honey, baby food, and much more everything that is possible is organic. Lots of shells, plants, and climbing toys provided withing the aquarium.

LAST UPDATED: 05/29/23

midwestcrabby

ISO crabs! madison, WI

Post by midwestcrabby » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:39 pm

MADISON, WI

I have a 40 gal tank and one crab who needs a buddy. Would take on one or two more small crabs. Happy to drive up to an hour (maybe even two). Really not wanting to purchase from Petco/Petsmart.

Thanks!

LAST UPDATED 07/02/2023