Is TropicShells.com a good place for hermie stuff?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

JDL_1104

Re: Is TropicShells.com a good place for hermie stuff?

Post by JDL_1104 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:45 pm

I think, as I've read here, that 10 hermies may be a bit much for a 55 gallon.. depending on the size. It seems to be a better idea to allow 10 gallons of space per hermit crab, again depending on the size. Less chance of aggression towards each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:36 pm

I usually boil mine for 15 minutes than let the water cool down until warm and do a quick rinse with room temp dechlorinated fresh water and put them in the shell shop tupperware.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:37 pm

LizBug wrote:Haha no problem! Id probably do the same thing if they were all still in stock. I'm loving the ones on Richard SeaShells! Ill more than likely get mine from there! Thank you so much! :D
Yes they have beautiful shells !!! Good luck hope you get some nice ones ;)

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:39 pm

LizBug wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:I've heard that Joann's fabric also sells bags of green turbos and I found a bag of mixed ones (http://www.joann.com/gathered-mixed-sea ... ls&start=2) and also a bag of the "cheetah" looking ones (http://www.joann.com/gathered-cheetah-m ... s&start=13)
Ohhh I love those! And the price! What's a good way of cleaning them before giving them to the crabs to potentially use?
I think the "cheeta" ones are actually called babylonia (sp?) i have 2 of those no one likes them only green turbos or this one white polished turbo has been accepted by my guys.

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 pm

isadoraisacat wrote:
LizBug wrote:
PinchersAndShells wrote:I've heard that Joann's fabric also sells bags of green turbos and I found a bag of mixed ones (http://www.joann.com/gathered-mixed-sea ... ls&start=2) and also a bag of the "cheetah" looking ones (http://www.joann.com/gathered-cheetah-m ... s&start=13)
Ohhh I love those! And the price! What's a good way of cleaning them before giving them to the crabs to potentially use?
I think the "cheeta" ones are actually called babylonia (sp?) i have 2 of those no one likes them only green turbos or this one white polished turbo has been accepted by my guys.

Ahh, I have one, nobody has switched to it, but none of my crabs seem to want to give up their current shells so
I've seen a few Es in them though
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:44 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
isadoraisacat wrote:
LizBug wrote: Ohhh I love those! And the price! What's a good way of cleaning them before giving them to the crabs to potentially use?

Ahh, I have one, nobody has switched to it, but none of my crabs seem to want to give up their current shells so
I've seen a few Es in them though
Yes I've heard those are like turbos for es and that's what they flock too. Pps seem to really love green turbos for whatever reason doesn't bother me their pretty and green is my favorite color !Image

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:48 pm

JDL_1104 wrote:I think, as I've read here, that 10 hermies may be a bit much for a 55 gallon.. depending on the size. It seems to be a better idea to allow 10 gallons of space per hermit crab, again depending on the size. Less chance of aggression towards each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Tank size depends on multiple factors.

How large the crabs are, how deep your substrate is, how your colony gets along, what species you have, etc.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:54 pm

Green turbos seem to be popular in my tank too, two of my PPs are in them, ones bigger than the other, and then my notorious little shell thief Edd has stolen the larger from one of my other crabs, Dusty, went back and forth between the turbo and the one he was originally in for a long while, and then settled for his original. Then Dusty finally got his shell back. Just a few minutes ago I noticed Edd had Momo on her back and all curled in her shell, but I knew he wouldn't fit in Momo's green turbo at all so I scared him away by covering the tank to make it dark then uncovering it again. He hates it when the light in the tank changes. On a side note, green is my favorite color too, and I especially like how well their pinchers stand out with it.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:03 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:Green turbos seem to be popular in my tank too, two of my PPs are in them, ones bigger than the other, and then my notorious little shell thief Edd has stolen the larger from one of my other crabs, Dusty, went back and forth between the turbo and the one he was originally in for a long while, and then settled for his original. Then Dusty finally got his shell back. Just a few minutes ago I noticed Edd had Momo on her back and all curled in her shell, but I knew he wouldn't fit in Momo's green turbo at all so I scared him away by covering the tank to make it dark then uncovering it again. He hates it when the light in the tank changes. On a side note, green is my favorite color too, and I especially like how well their pinchers stand out with it.
It's funny mango took the white shell she ditched it and took a green shell pitch switched to mangos original mag pie than than took the white shell i can't even believe i was able to keep up with who's who.

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:37 pm

I have bought from Naples, Joann's. Even found some at a Walmart while I was in FL last week. But mine love turbos & Babylon shells, they're changing every few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Giner13 wrote:I have bought from Naples, Joann's. Even found some at a Walmart while I was in FL last week. But mine love turbos & Babylon shells, they're changing every few weeksImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine only accept turbos especially the green ones. No one seems to like the babylonia shells.

bbcraft22

Post by bbcraft22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:12 pm

isadoraisacat wrote: Anyway i don't know this site seems a bit shady i wouldn't buy stuff from them I'd stick to the trusted hermit crab patch.

i agree :)
"You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." -Jon Bunyan