Which to get

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Which to get

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 pm

I just upgraded to a 90gal with 5 medium PP crabs. I know I have room for more, even though it doesn't really look like it (my husband will kill me if I suggest upgrading again anytime in the near future). I was thinking of getting another crab. I can go to my Petsmart, which keep them in awful conditions, or Petco, where the conditions are a bit better but they have painted shells. Which do you think needs rescuing more?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

jarteta97

Re: Which to get

Post by jarteta97 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:44 pm

I usually avoid buying from Petco and Petsmart simply because of the awful conditions. In buying the crabs from them, we can in a way be seen to be supporting the cheap and incomplete housing of hermit crabs. That being said, I don't blame anyone from buying from them, I've done it before myself. I prefer to browse craigslist and see if any hermit crabs are listed for sale or adoption. Also, checking the forum for anyone needing someone to adopt can be effective. If all else fails, though, Petco and Petsmart can serve as sources if need be.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:54 pm

jarteta97 wrote:I usually avoid buying from Petco and Petsmart simply because of the awful conditions. In buying the crabs from them, we can in a way be seen to be supporting the cheap and incomplete housing of hermit crabs. That being said, I don't blame anyone from buying from them, I've done it before myself. I prefer to browse craigslist and see if any hermit crabs are listed for sale or adoption. Also, checking the forum for anyone needing someone to adopt can be effective. If all else fails, though, Petco and Petsmart can serve as sources if need be.
I totally understand. It's a catch 22. I don't want to support these pet stores causing them to keep obtaining hermit crabs but I also feel so bad for the ones that are there.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:36 pm

I wonder if policies are different in different states or chains of stores. I always bought from stores because a few years ago it was not an option for me to adopt. (no car, in college, didn't want to meet strangers, really no one in my area had any) But recently I am SUPER impressed with my Petco. For around 2 years now they have made major improvements for their hermit crab habitats and hiring/training knowledgeable employees. Their tanks are 100% up to date as to where they need to be except their diet of pellets. They even had Es separated from PPs.

If your stores are not up to date and in bad condition I would look into adopting and check out websites such as craigslist. You will either find a crab from a great home that the owner can no longer take care of or a crab that has been bought and not cared for by it's owner in which that case is pretty much getting a crab of the same quality as the pet shop you are referring to. Option is really up to you.
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Kaleighshermies wrote:I wonder if policies are different in different states or chains of stores. I always bought from stores because a few years ago it was not an option for me to adopt. (no car, in college, didn't want to meet strangers, really no one in my area had any) But recently I am SUPER impressed with my Petco. For around 2 years now they have made major improvements for their hermit crab habitats and hiring/training knowledgeable employees. Their tanks are 100% up to date as to where they need to be except their diet of pellets. They even had Es separated from PPs.

If your stores are not up to date and in bad condition I would look into adopting and check out websites such as craigslist. You will either find a crab from a great home that the owner can no longer take care of or a crab that has been bought and not cared for by it's owner in which that case is pretty much getting a crab of the same quality as the pet shop you are referring to. Option is really up to you.

Well I finally got one at Petsmart on Saturday. He moved a little the first day but then no movement for about 24hrs. I picked him up and he fell out of his shell. He was gone. I returned him today and got another. I put one in my palm but no movement. I picked another one. The sales assoc said, oh, see if he'll pinch your fingernail. She picked another one up and stuck her nail in his claw to see if he pinches. I said oh no. He's stressed enough. She was so surprised when I showed her to just put one in your palm. We've gotten 3 like that from there. On the way home he was quite active in the container in my car because I put the heat up.

Kaleighshermies

Post by Kaleighshermies » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 pm

I hope he pulls through for you. I always take the active ones. That's how I ended up with my third E. I only wanted to buy two and the sales associate was a great guy and really liked that I knew so much about them so he knew they were going to a good home. I couldn't pass him up, all three are different in color and super active. It's been great having them in my tank.

Keep us updated on how he/she does. Have any pics?
7 PP Hermies I think? Lost count tbh 5 PPs and 2 Es
Crabbing since 2004

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 pm

Kaleighshermies wrote:I hope he pulls through for you. I always take the active ones. That's how I ended up with my third E. I only wanted to buy two and the sales associate was a great guy and really liked that I knew so much about them so he knew they were going to a good home. I couldn't pass him up, all three are different in color and super active. It's been great having them in my tank.

Keep us updated on how he/she does. Have any pics?

Thank you! Usually I take a picture while they're still in the container from the store. For some reason I didn't this time. But as soon as I see him again I will.