PetSmart Hermit Crabs

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
elisabeth_r26

PetSmart Hermit Crabs

Post by elisabeth_r26 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 am

What is everyone’s experiences with hermit crabs from Petsmart. It is the only store in my area, and I want to what everyone’s general experience with them is.

Giner13

Re: PetSmart Hermit Crabs

Post by Giner13 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:35 am

Our local PetSmart sucks in their hermit crab care. They’ve even tried to sell me a dead crab!! I was so horrified I got in touch with their corporate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:44 am

I got Peanut from Petsmart, and while the conditions weren't the best, I've seen far worse. Peanut has seemed healthy and we'll have had him for 2 months on the 23rd. I think he's gone down for his first molt with us. :) Every Petsmart is different, though. You could also look into adopting, rather than buying.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:14 am

If you want to try adopting, look at craigslist (you can create a standing notification that'll email you if the words "hermit crab" show up), offer up, the HCA adoption board (if you're in TX or CA there are likely a lot of options), and there are a number of Facebook crab groups that list adoptable crabs. Also, you can place a local adopter add in our adoption section - I've had two crabs come to me that way in yhe last year, and four on Kijiji (a Canadian Craigslist type place).
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Each store is so different in their level of care that you really need to visit, observe and ask questions. There are also a lot of unknowns in their delivery and things can go wrong before they get to the store sometimes. It is always a gamble when getting a new crab from any source though. The employees should be honest if you ask how many deaths people experience, and they have a guarantee on their animals.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

leah610

Post by leah610 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 pm

I have a lot of pet stores in my area: petsmart, pet land, petsupermarket, and petco. I have had the most luck with petco, as they seem to provide better conditions from what I've seen. I got my two newest crabs, Kai and Tai there, and they adjusted very well from their previous conditions. Comparing petsmart with other stores, I've noticed that they tend to have poorest conditions out of the other stores in my area, but obviously I cannot speak for all petsmarts or petstores- so you might have luck depending on their conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:23 pm

elisabeth_r26 wrote:What is everyone’s experiences with hermit crabs from Petsmart. It is the only store in my area, and I want to what everyone’s general experience with them is.
I have 6 total and 4 have been from Petsmart. The latest just a couple days ago. I contemplated Petco, because all their crabs are in painted shells, which is awful, but the conditions were a bit better than Petsmart. So I figured I would get him from Petsmart. But as others have said. There are no guarantees no matter where you get them from.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

aslansgirl89

Post by aslansgirl89 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:43 pm

I just got both of my hermit crabs from Petco because they were both in painted shells and I wanted to rescue them from being abused by people who didn't know how to take care of them. I have a male named Kaladin and a female named Shallan. I got them both in November and both of them changed shells pretty much as soon as I got them home. Kaladin has molted but Shallan is currently trying to decide if she wants to molt or not. She will go under for a few days to a week and then I will catch her sneaking up for food in the morning sometimes so I have stopped getting her out to allow her to decide if she wants to do her thing and molt. I am hoping she does soon so that I can stop worrying about PPS. She changed her shell in front of me the other day and her molt sac is humongous so I know that she should be going down soon. Anyway, I prefer to get mine from pet stores not to support their business as much as to rescue the poor critters from painted shells and bad conditions. These are my two crabbies! The first, darker one is Shallan and the lighter one is Kaladin. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ankutchey

Post by Ankutchey » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:59 pm

If never had a problem with my local petsmart. Alot of the employees are at least somewhat knowledgeable about them. The tank is kept at a good temperature and humidity. The depth of the substrate is simply not enough though. If always gotten active crabs that transition Well!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have five PPs: Smoky, Albert, Stuart, Rocky, and Jax
Two Cats: Sherlock and Snowball
One Dog: Serana

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Ankutchey wrote:If never had a problem with my local petsmart. Alot of the employees are at least somewhat knowledgeable about them. The tank is kept at a good temperature and humidity. The depth of the substrate is simply not enough though. If always gotten active crabs that transition Well!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The reason the sub is kept low in stores is that the stores want to be able to sell the crabs - and find them to do so. It would actually be worse for the crabs if they were to begin a moult in what seemed like safe conditions, only to be dug up at this delicate time by someone looking for a saleable animal.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 pm

Not to mention how many hungry and shell-crazed hermits arrive on a weekly basis. A store is not a safe place for a molt unless the owners and employees are on the same page about leaving them be and allowing new crabs time to adjust.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Before I knew too much about crabs I got mine from my previous local Petsmart. Not the best care but those crabs are all doing well over 2 years later.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

sarcasticLynx

Post by sarcasticLynx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:08 pm

Hi! Pet store worker popping in to say that we aren't allowed to use very much not only for sale purposes, but also ease of cleaning. I try to leave about an inch towards the back so they can bury if the humidity runs dry, or for them to destress. Once a week we have to take everything out and disinfect it, so having enough sub for them to molt would be pretty dangerous.

Unfortunately, all of the habitats the pets are in are highly regulated and super specific specs that you're not allowed to change(no matter how much you beg or ask lol). While it is for the pets safety most of the time, it can get a little frustrating.

I hope I cleared some things up. :crabbigsmile:

wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:52 pm

I've been to two PetSmarts recently, and neither of them have had any crabs. They have the spaces, but nothing was in them. One of them I go to often because it's near the school I teach at, and it's been many months without any hermit crabs in sight.

mrm

Post by mrm » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 am

We got both of ours from the local petsmart, and the conditions were pretty much the same as everywhere else ive seen (low sub, etc) but weve had them for about two years now and both have molted several times and have been pretty active the entire time! i suppose it really depends on the location and even just taking a chance with a new crab
good luck!
10 gal/2 crabbies