Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!
Post Reply
User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by Angel_crab » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:34 pm

Hi everyone :) I decided to make this topic, as I was appalled to see the state of the Krabooz crab tank at my local Petbarn today. Every crab was in an ugly painted shell, they were just getting fed on pellet food (no fruits, veggies or fish) and limbs and claws were spread around the tank, with multiple crabs hanging out of their shell who had unfortunately passed away. I’m not sure if Krabooz are branching out into America, but last I heard this was their plan. Please don’t ever buy from them, they are so cruel to these poor little crabbies. Pictures are attached:
Image
Image
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3931
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:03 am

IMO, the only bad thing about this brand is the marketing of the painted shells. The company that supplies 'Krabooz' in Australia is through 'Crazy Crabs' - which also supplies any other non-krabooz crabs in Australia, run by Merv - is just as bad IMO. The problem being is that many times the pet stores don't really care for their pets for sale, such as general care like tidying the tank and maintenance.

But yeah, it is heartbreaking to see.
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by Angel_crab » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:44 am

aussieJJDude wrote:IMO, the only bad thing about this brand is the marketing of the painted shells. The company that supplies 'Krabooz' in Australia is through 'Crazy Crabs' - which also supplies any other non-krabooz crabs in Australia, run by Merv - is just as bad IMO. The problem being is that many times the pet stores don't really care for their pets for sale, such as general care like tidying the tank and maintenance.

But yeah, it is heartbreaking to see.
I agree. I’ve been on the Crazy Crabs website in the past, but all their products don’t have very good reviews and as you said, they market the painted shells to make the crabs stand out more to young children. I wish Petbarn would maintain the tank, because every time I go there to buy food for the cats, I always see the tank in this state and all the crabs look miserable. When I started off keeping hermit crabs, I discovered the Krabooz brand and bought the tank, accessories, food and crabs from them - only to realise about a month or 2 later and $270 later, that the setup was all wrong. That’s why I get so upset about this company still existing, because they are money driven and don’t care about the welfare of the crabs. :(

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6118
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:49 pm

So sad...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 8864
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by wodesorel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 pm

They hit the US last summer with the "supplies" at a couple hundred Petcos, but it thankfully didn't seem to take off. Last I looked what was left was on clearance and the website and FB page were defunct.

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by Angel_crab » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:06 am

wodesorel wrote:They hit the US last summer with the "supplies" at a couple hundred Petcos, but it thankfully didn't seem to take off. Last I looked what was left was on clearance and the website and FB page were defunct.
Glad to hear that the company didn’t really take off. All of their products were way over priced, and the company knew nothing about the proper conditions that hermit crabs need to live in.

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 8864
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by wodesorel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 am

People who have talked to Merv in the past have shown that he knows darn well what crabs need, he is just really good at being a salesman and making them seem like "easy" pets.

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by Angel_crab » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:39 pm

wodesorel wrote:People who have talked to Merv in the past have shown that he knows darn well what crabs need, he is just really good at being a salesman and making them seem like "easy" pets.
Oh I didn’t know that. I have been on the crazy crabs website in the past and saw that they were selling plastic containers as tanks, and painted neon starfish as decoration ect. which got me confused about how much he actually knows about crab keeping.


hayhay528
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by hayhay528 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm

hit my petco reccently and they moved their crabs from the reptile wall where they were at least getting good humidity and temp and a decent amount of hiding spots to the middle of the store's sales floor where the tank is kept much below acceptable temp and humidity and also no hiding spots just that dumb wooden tree thing, barley any sand (beacuse its just what comes in the kit) and all painted shells. its so sad

User avatar

Topic author
Angel_crab
Posts: 482
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:59 pm

Re: Don’t ever buy from Krabooz-pictures attached

Post by Angel_crab » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 am

hayhay528 wrote:hit my petco reccently and they moved their crabs from the reptile wall where they were at least getting good humidity and temp and a decent amount of hiding spots to the middle of the store's sales floor where the tank is kept much below acceptable temp and humidity and also no hiding spots just that dumb wooden tree thing, barley any sand (beacuse its just what comes in the kit) and all painted shells. its so sad
At my local petbarn, the tank was in the exact same spot! Right in the middle of the sales floor where everyone walked past and unintentionally scared the crabs. They have just recently moved the tank to the reptile section, but right next to where the doors slide open, which means that they aren’t receiving the right temperature in their tank either! I once purchased that wooden tree hide that they made ages ago, and within about 2 weeks of having it in the crabs old tank, the wood started to rot on the bottom. Can’t believe that this company is still going.

Post Reply