Need shells!

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Need shells!

Post by ciaraalston » Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 am

I measured my crabs the other day. Sebastian is about 1 inch, Rajah is about 1 and a half inches. I need shells for them! they both just moved into a new shell about a month ago. Rajah took a new one i bought from amazon, and Sebastian took Rajah's old shell about a week later. I've been searching for more shells online, but they're soooo expensive! and i need at least 4 or 5 for each crab, so that's like $40 to $50. I shopped on the sites that were recommended here. Is there anywhere else i can find shells their size? if i have to spend the money i will, i just would like to save if possible, our budget is small. ANY advice would be great! Thanks yall :banana:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need shells!

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 22, 2018 6:46 am

Hi there! Do you have a Michael's, JoAnn's or a Hobby Lobby by you? Each of them sell bags of shells, but to be honest, there might only be 1-2 shells in each bag that would be usable. With those stores, you can download Apps for them for 40% off coupons to purchase the shells. Then, check out our shell guide under the forum section.
Have you tried Ebay? Sometimes you can find good deals there as well.
I hope that helps :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue May 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello! :) I recommend Naples Seashell Company, they will have correct shells and you can choose what you want! :)
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 am

Thanks y'all!! I'll check out some local stores this week and if i don't find anything i'll order online. Really appreciate the advice! :D :D
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermie225

Post by Hermie225 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am

I also have had luck with finding small shells in bags at craft stores, Walmart, dollar general, etc. For larger shells, say over 1/2in opening size, I order online from Naples SeaShells, beautiful shells and timely shipping.
I’ve also heard good reviews about Richards Shells, but have not personally bought from them, YET lol.

mshipman

Post by mshipman » Sun May 27, 2018 5:51 pm

My crab just moulted and moved into a jade turbo with a 2-2 1/2" opening, yes opening. Naples doesn't have shells any bigger than what he just moved out/into. He is mounting once per year for about 60 days. I probably have some time but I'd like to offer him a variety now. He has only ever used turbo shells with round opening. Purple Pincher. Thanks in advance.
Lynn

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm

mshipman wrote:My crab just moulted and moved into a jade turbo with a 2-2 1/2" opening, yes opening. Naples doesn't have shells any bigger than what he just moved out/into. He is mounting once per year for about 60 days. I probably have some time but I'd like to offer him a variety now. He has only ever used turbo shells with round opening. Purple Pincher. Thanks in advance.
Lynn
A 2.5 inch opening (we measure across the aperture not the diameter if that helps) shell is as large as a softball. Most crabs in captivity don't get that large. I had one that I paid $16 for from Naples and ended up reselling because none of my crabs were near that size.

With that said, Mygann on Etsy, Ebay, and Amazon have always had the most affordable large shells IME. I've purchased 3 in large sizes for $21 shipped in the past.
I don't know their current rates.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk