Where to get a new crab?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Froggypjs

Where to get a new crab?

Post by Froggypjs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi I’m looking into getting a new crab because two of my three are molting and the one that isn’t is seeming really lonely. :cry: I have a 40 gallon Breeder tank with coconut fiber substrate (6 in) and lots of places to play around! But the thing is I dont know where to get a new crab! I know that petco isn’t a good place to go but that’s the only place that’s close enough. My Petco that’s near me has also stopped buying crabs with painted shells and they have salt and fresh water, deep coconut fiber mixed with sand substrate and the correct humidity levels. So I’m thinking that my Petco may not be a bad place? But i still would like some more ideas. Thanks so much!

Hermiesguardian

Re: Where to get a new crab?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:45 pm

Froggypjs wrote:Hi I’m looking into getting a new crab because two of my three are molting and the one that isn’t is seeming really lonely. :cry: I have a 40 gallon Breeder tank with coconut fiber substrate (6 in) and lots of places to play around! But the thing is I dont know where to get a new crab! I know that petco isn’t a good place to go but that’s the only place that’s close enough. My Petco that’s near me has also stopped buying crabs with painted shells and they have salt and fresh water, deep coconut fiber mixed with sand substrate and the correct humidity levels. So I’m thinking that my Petco may not be a bad place? But i still would like some more ideas. Thanks so much!
You can check the adoption thread. Or check craigslist for adoptions.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Froggypjs

Post by Froggypjs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:46 pm

:UPDATE:
I had to go to Petco to pick up some eco earth today and I saw the cutest hermit crab! I couldn’t resist so I asked the manager to open the cage so I could hold one and I checked it out, no mites perfect condition vibrant colors and no missing parts. So I did get her!! :wink: and I’m the first hour of having her she changed shells! Which probably means she didn’t have enough sjells in the enclosure at Petco but at least she changed!
Her name is Chandler, she’s a PP and she’s about golf bal sized. Super cute!!!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Congrats on the new addition!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+

Topic author
Froggypjs

Post by Froggypjs » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:14 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Congrats on the new addition!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks so much!!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:40 pm

I haven’t bought a hermit crab since last year, and it’s not my favorite thing either.
Although, I am pleased that you found a good crab.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:20 am

Congrats! Chandler is such a pretty name! Take some pics when you can :D :banana:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
Froggypjs

Post by Froggypjs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:27 am

How do you send pictures?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:24 am

Froggypjs wrote:How do you send pictures?
I use Tapatalk to send pics.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Froggypjs

Post by Froggypjs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 am

Oh okay, I don’t have that, I’ll have to download it.