Petsmart review

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
crabby33

Petsmart review

Post by crabby33 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:06 pm

I was looking on the Petsmart website for a new UTH and decided to look at the substrates. I saw so many inappropriate sands available such as the sand and soil mix which would be very dangerous for hermits if used by itself because of the calcium sand mixed in. I also saw dangerous colored calcium sand that I know serious crabbers would not buy for their shell babies. The only way the All Living Things Sand and Soil Mix would work is if people mixed it with play sand but no one is going to risk using such a substrate marketed for hermits that is so controversial among crabbers. There are many other better substrate choices marketed for reptiles that are also safe for hermit crabs such as Eco Earth, Coco fiber and terrarium moss which is loved by crabs and a recommended humidity booster.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Petsmart review

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:06 am

Calcium sand in low concentrations are fine - many past members use to do a 5:1:1 ratio of sand:EE:calcisand (or at least, I remember it as such....) and not have issues.

Issues tend to arise when it is a majority, but in small concentrations uts not really that harmful.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Crabs || Fish || Shrimp || Snails || Plants || Insects

25G Nano Freshwater || 64G Freshwater Community || 90G Fancy Goldie Pond || 64G Crabitat
I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'... They're just things I forgot I had planned to get || Self Designated 'HCA Pic Fan' 2012+