Where to get hermit crabs?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Where to get hermit crabs?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm

Does anyone know where I can get live hermit crabs? I have looked at adopting, and I was wondering if anyone knows some good websites, stores, etc. I am looking for three micro, teeny, or small purple pincher hermit crabs. Thank you!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Hermiesguardian

Re: Where to get hermit crabs?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Your best bet is to keep looking at the adoption topic here. But you can find hermit crabs at Petco and Petsmart. The problem with that is it perpetuates the cruel system of horror they go through. That being said, I have purchased a few from pet stores.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 pm

You can check out the adoptions pages here to see if any are available in your area. I believe Facebook has several pages dedicated to adopting crabs. I have found some crabs needing a home on Craig's List as well.

The HCA's Adoption Page
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... .php?f=112

The is also the Land Hermit Crab Owners Society. They have an adoption page as well. You will need to fill out an application form providing your experience and information about your tank. With any luck they will approve you to adopt.

LHCOS Adoption Page
http://lhcos.org/adoption-program-beta/

With some patience and a little luck you should be able to find some great crabs needing a new home. We have had much better luck with adopting crabs making it through a successful molt compared to ones we purchased from stores.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks! If you guys have any more ideas please let me know!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

As well as watching for crabs offered, you can also put a 'wanted' ad on the various sites!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:04 pm

A bit late to your post, but I wanted to mention that I've gotten a few of my crabs from craiglist. It requires patience, and gas and time to meet the person to do the swap, but it's so worth it to take a crab off someone's hands who doesn't really want it and isn't taking proper care of it. If they're charging for a whole set up that is mostly unsafe junk items, I'll politely ask to just adopt the crab for free and most are likely to oblige, especially if they don't have to drive to meet you somewhere. Though I have seen nice postings that included a real tank with EE drift wood and a box of instant ocean which is absolutely worth paying and is usually a great deal. Either way, I'll never refuse a crab so if I have to spend 10 bucks on a critter keeper full of gravel so be it. I have other tanks/pet/feeders that I can use it for.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed May 08, 2019 12:34 am

I got three of my crabs on here and 2 on craigslist. It was hard waiting to find them but I'm glad I did. Dont want to support the hermit crab industrial complex. So worth the wait.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk