Affordable LARGE shells?

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
hprmom

Affordable LARGE shells?

Post by hprmom » Sun May 12, 2019 11:00 pm

Found one of our larger turbos abandoned in the shell shop and measured the opening at 1 3/16”. This is alarming because it seems we suddenly have at least 3 crabs in shell openings larger than 1 1/8”. They tend to hold on to their shells FOREVER so I didn’t notice the collective growth spurt. I picked a crab up the other day to get a quick estimate on his shell opening (I thought he was one of my mediums) and we BOTH freaked out when he was unable to draw completely back into his shell! :lol: This is baaaaad... I need big shells asap!

Taking a quick look at the shops on the resource list, the ones that list shells with openings greater than 1 1/4” have prices between $12-$18 PER SHELL (hello, Naples). Yikes! Until now the most I’ve spent on a shell is $4-6 so that’s double and triple the cost. The shops that seem to have affordable prices only list shell size by length, not opening. I took a look at the length/opening ratio chart and there’s a wide spread. I’m afraid to drop a bunch of money and then get shells that don’t fit our crabs’ needs.

What’s reasonable price for shells with openings say 1” to 1 3/4”? What shops are reliable for usable shells in this range?

I live about 1.5 hours from Richards, if I can’t find something to order in the next few days I may grab my kid and my calipers and take a road trip to hand-pick. Tough week with end-of-school-year activities, but I’m afraid to let our crabs go much longer without a good shell selection, especially with what looks like a recent attack, and about half our guys currently under...

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Affordable LARGE shells?

Post by curlysister » Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 pm

I too was a bit shocked at the price of big shells! I ordered from Naples, and considered ordering from Richard's. His big ones aren't much cheaper than Naples tho!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon May 13, 2019 2:47 am

I found some larger shells from MyGann either on Etsy or eBay. I purchased larger shells for starting at around $9 for sizes above 1-1/2" openings. Not a huge savings but some. Link in my profile.

@soilentgringa was also trying to sell some larger shells she had a month or so ago. She posted an add in the classified section not sure if they are still available.

Everytime I search I seem to have a difficult time finding shells with openings between 1-1/4 and 1-1/2.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
hprmom

Post by hprmom » Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 pm

Just made it to Richards. If either of you need something specific I can pick up
and mail you, lmk. I’ll be here probably until 3pm EST (it’s Thursday May 16).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk