Where to get a nice tank

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
TrippMachine

Where to get a nice tank

Post by TrippMachine » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:31 pm

So my tank I had ordered for the new bottom of my second one has become an issue...first one came in totally destroyed and then the second one got lost during shipping so I just got my money back. Where do you all buy your 75g tanks online? The pet stores here are crazy expensive and are always a whole starter kit for fish that I dont need.

Or they are super long but short.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Where to get a nice tank

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:36 pm

Try craigslist. Or the apps offerup and letgo.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:38 pm

Yea, scour whatever online marketplaces you can. Craigslist, let go, offer up, and Facebook. I have seen a ton of various sizes in our area ranging from 10 gallon up to 220 gallons. I picked up our 75 gallon just over a year ago for $150 and a stand. As long as you don't need a tank right away you should be able to find a good deal.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am

Some Petcos have 75s that go for half off during their $1 a gallon sale. Our local one never did, but both of the ones farther away do.

I got my front opening 75s through my local mom and pop. They special ordered for me and handled any breakage problems. It takes about a month, but I'm guaranteed a perfect tank!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Pincher

Post by Pincher » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:01 am

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am
Some Petcos have 75s that go for half off during their $1 a gallon sale. Our local one never did, but both of the ones farther away do.
This is how I got mine. Bought it at the Petco around the corner. They come without a lid; for a nice lid, see suggestion below.

Other options: try craigslist, yard sales and in general moving sales (some employers also have mailing lists for stuff to give away, and if you're a student, quite sure the college/university has such a list, too). That's how I go my spare tank (bought it after a while for a few dollars, to have another tank just in case I needed to isolate some hermit crabs or would had a problem with my main tank).

For the tank lid: I bought a picture frame with a plastic (!) "glass". I got mine at Target for about $10. I cut the transparent plastic it in shape, the frame too (to stabilize it) and glued it together. If not in mood to do the cutting and glueing, just putting the picture frame on the tank as lid as-it-is would work too, of course. I cut mine as I wanted to have it exactly the size of the tank opening. Looks professional, is super light-weight (matters at that size!) and as I don't need to use lamps or other heaters from above, it's perfectly fine.

KristenL0522

Post by KristenL0522 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:14 am

wodesorel wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am

I got my front opening 75s through my local mom and pop. They special ordered for me and handled any breakage problems. It takes about a month, but I'm guaranteed a perfect tank!
For future reference Petco and Petsmart will honor an online price as long as you show them. I think they even honor competitor prices. I always check online to see if it’s cheaper and usually end up saving at least a few dollars.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:19 am

KristenL0522 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:14 am
For future reference Petco and Petsmart will honor an online price as long as you show them. I think they even honor competitor prices. I always check online to see if it’s cheaper and usually end up saving at least a few dollars.
The item has to match exactly - if the ad from Petco is for Tetra brand tanks and Petsmart only has Aqueon, they won't honor it!

GAherme

Post by GAherme » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:46 am

I just bought a tank on amazon. Carolina custom cages. We’ll see what happens, if it comes in one piece. I’ll let you know.

HermitCrabCHICA

Post by HermitCrabCHICA » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:36 am

I got a cheap ten gallon tank from Walmart it was only 19.99 the only problem with the tank is that it didn't come with a lid so i am currently using a blanket for the lid. :hlol: :banana: :cheer: :crabbigsmile:
RIP My precious Bubbles and Kelpcake. :(

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:15 pm

Pincher wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:01 am
This is how I got mine. Bought it at the Petco around the corner. They come without a lid; for a nice lid, see suggestion below.

Other options: try craigslist, yard sales and in general moving sales (some employers also have mailing lists for stuff to give away, and if you're a student, quite sure the college/university has such a list, too). That's how I go my spare tank (bought it after a while for a few dollars, to have another tank just in case I needed to isolate some hermit crabs or would had a problem with my main tank).

For the tank lid: I bought a picture frame with a plastic (!) "glass". I got mine at Target for about $10. I cut the transparent plastic it in shape, the frame too (to stabilize it) and glued it together. If not in mood to do the cutting and glueing, just putting the picture frame on the tank as lid as-it-is would work too, of course. I cut mine as I wanted to have it exactly the size of the tank opening. Looks professional, is super light-weight (matters at that size!) and as I don't need to use lamps or other heaters from above, it's perfectly fine.
Love this idea!!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:35 pm

GAherme wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:46 am
I just bought a tank on amazon. Carolina custom cages. We’ll see what happens, if it comes in one piece. I’ll let you know.
Did it come in one piece?
~
~
KyMart

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:41 pm

KyMart wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:35 pm
Did it come in one piece?
You're asking for an update to a comment made 4 years ago. Please check dates before responding, you keep necroing ancient threads. Most members from that long ago are no longer active on the boards.

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:20 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:41 pm
You're asking for an update to a comment made 4 years ago. Please check dates before responding, you keep necroing ancient threads. Most members from that long ago are no longer active on the boards.
I'm sorry! Sometimes I get scrolling and forget I was searching and not in the main forums just scrolling through topics!
~
~
KyMart