Where to get crab shells

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
Pebbles

Where to get crab shells

Post by Pebbles » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:11 pm

I've had my crabs for about 3 months now and they've all changed shells since I got them. I'm now in need of some bigger shells with 1 1/4in openings and bigger in the future. I'm trying to save some money but I'm also just looking for websites or places where I can get shells with round openings. What are some websites or places you guys got your shells from?? Thanks:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
15 year old that loves pets. My mom wont let me get a fourth crab tho cuz apparently her house would be a zoo and Rock, Pebbles, and Boulder are enough.

Motörcrab

Re: Where to get crab shells

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:03 pm

Click the link in my signature. There are a lot of shell places listed there. My go to' places are Naples, and The Shell Shop.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:27 pm

I'm with Motorcrab, I like Naples. My crab Beau didn't change shells for years until I put shells in with him that I bought from Naples.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:51 pm

I just wish the big shells weren't so expensive! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:13 am

curlysister wrote:I just wish the big shells weren't so expensive! LOL!
They can def be a bit pricey. Image I guess my Beau just likes fancy and expensive pajamas. Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:12 am

I agree with Naples shells! They are kind of pricey but they are worth the money, just make sure that you measure correctly and buy the right sizes.
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Yea, making sure you measure shell openings is critical to getting the correct sizes. I have seen a lot of members here order incorrect sizes.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:16 pm

I believe that we have an adoption program running here on the hermit crab Association forum, it's good to adopt, instead of shop! Plus, both you and their other owners can rest easy knowing that their previous owners are relieved now that they are in good hands. Good luck, and happy crabbing! :-)

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk

Topic author
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 pm

I think I'm going with Naples. Thanks guys!!

15 year old that loves pets. My mom wont let me get a fourth crab tho cuz apparently her house would be a zoo and Rock, Pebbles, and Boulder are enough.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Pebbles wrote:I think I'm going with Naples. Thanks guys!!

Good luck! Image

DinkDonk

Post by DinkDonk » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 pm

Oops, I did not realize you're asking about crab shells! My mistake, you can disregard the previous post. For hermit crab shells, you can find them online on various local stores and you can also get them from your local shop or decoration store, such as Hobby Lobby! I tried going to Hobby Lobby to get some once , but turns out they are closed on Sundays.

To be honest, I got my shells from this Chinese buffet, and I simply boiled them in dechlorinated water twice, and let dry for about a week or so. They had steamed sea snails. My hermit crab seem to be very happy with it, since they've moved in right away! I wish I could have bought them better shells, such as turbo shells, but unfortunately I'm on a broke college student budget, and I cannot shop online because I am not 18 yet.

I guess another way you could find them is by searching around the forums, and creating a new discussion about shell adoption or selling, or you could buy edible sea snails or whelks and cleaned them very thoroughly.. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but it's at least one additional method. I hope it helps, and happy crabbing!

Sent from my Carrier Pigeon using Tapatalk