Buying online (thoughts)

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
GRMU99

Buying online (thoughts)

Post by GRMU99 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:48 am

I’ve been looking into buying 2 new friends for my lonely crab in the tank. So, i was thinking about livehermitcrab.com since i cant get to a petstore cause of the covid19. So what is everyone thoughts on them. I have seen other post but, they are dated maybe more then 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 cats
Buddy and Belle

Motörcrab

Re: Buying online (thoughts)

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:34 pm

No. Not from this site. Do a a search on here for that website. Not many people had luck with receiving what they ordered. They are notorious for taking people's money. Once you submit an order they say they are out of stock and will ship as soon as they are avaliable. That never happens and people need to fight to get their money.

If I recall last time I visited that site they even used a stuffed hermit crab for a picture! :hlol:

Looking at their website again they claim to have blueberries for sale. True blueberries have not been imported for many years. Chances are "if" they are selling blueberries they are the recently named species Coenobita Lilia. They have similar colors as the Coenobita Purpureus.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:26 pm

As Motor said, don't do it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:37 am

I would advise against buying a crab online- in fact, I'd advise against buying crabbies at all. I made a mistake in buying mine, totally should have adopted. There are actually many people (I have seen their posts) on this website that are looking to give away their own crabbies due to unforeseen circumstances. Many of them come with a tank, sand, toys, and a lot of other things. Not only would it be better for your wallet to adopt some crabbies, they are probably in better condition, are better accustomed, and it doesn't contribute to the inhumane practice of how pet stores capture hermit crabs from beaches. Plus, if you are a crab parent on here, you are most likely dedicated to your crabbies! I haven't met a single person on here that hasn't learned from their mistakes and hasn't given their hermits a paradise. These people are willing to drive to you or meet at a middlepoinn to drop off their crabbies. Adopt, don't buy! :cheer:
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
GRMU99

Post by GRMU99 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:20 pm

avamin2005 wrote:I would advise against buying a crab online- in fact, I'd advise against buying crabbies at all. I made a mistake in buying mine, totally should have adopted. There are actually many people (I have seen their posts) on this website that are looking to give away their own crabbies due to unforeseen circumstances. Many of them come with a tank, sand, toys, and a lot of other things. Not only would it be better for your wallet to adopt some crabbies, they are probably in better condition, are better accustomed, and it doesn't contribute to the inhumane practice of how pet stores capture hermit crabs from beaches. Plus, if you are a crab parent on here, you are most likely dedicated to your crabbies! I haven't met a single person on here that hasn't learned from their mistakes and hasn't given their hermits a paradise. These people are willing to drive to you or meet at a middlepoinn to drop off their crabbies. Adopt, don't buy! :cheer:
I would adopt but, im afraid that the crab that someone had taken care really good would die since i have a hard time keeping crabs alive in my tank. I think my tank is in good now since i have one crab left that lived through the winter and done 2 molts with me.

2 cats
Buddy and Belle

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:07 pm

If you are unsure of if your tank is set up correctly I would be happy to help walk you through your set up. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm sure they would be help too. If your tank is not correctly set up it doesn't matter where you get crabs from they will eventually die. Without knowing anything about your tank it sounds like you may have a heating and possibly a humidity issue in the winter months. Most of us have a harder time in the winter. Just because winter is over now doesn't fix your tank. Winter will come again and you will have the same issues again.

There is not really a point to keep purchasing crab after crab. It is a waste of your money and also a hermit crabs life.

I can honestly say first hand that even having a properly set up tank doesn't mean a new store bought crab will survive. Over the years we have done numerous "pity" purchases from stores. Either the last crab, way to small or broken shell. I bet more than half of these crabs have died within a week or two or never returned from a molt. With our rescued and adopted crabs we probably are more like 15% dying.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:35 pm

Livehermitcrabs isn't even accepting orders. The original store went down maybe a year and a half ago, and this new one popped up in it's place a couple months later, cloning what was on the original site. I am absolutely sure it's another scam, but at least if you try to check out it will show a page saying it isn't open.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:18 pm

GRMU99,
I totally get that it can be overwhelming trying to make sure that your crabs are in a good home. But don't worry, if you have an adequate setup, your crabbies should be fine. I actually learned so much from this forum, so many tips and tricks and places to buy, things to substitute, the crabby lifestyle In general. Many people are in need of a person to adopt their crabbies, check the forum, and you'll find help everywhere!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:17 pm

What everyone said above is great advice! And I'll be willing to help the best I can as well! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm

I agree with everyone here about adopting. When my crab Beau's buddy died last year, I vowed not to buy anymore and adopt. It did take a month, but I found 2 crabbies to rescue, one of which became his new best friend. I rescued another crabby a couple of weeks after that. They all get along great. I promise, when you adopt an animal, they will always end up rescuing you.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Tue May 12, 2020 9:34 pm

Sorry for bumping this from about a month ago, but is this site safe? I'm looking to buy online too, I've got a huge tank that I just redid and I need more hermit crab friends.
https://www.nature-gifts.com/shop/hermi ... lUQAvD_BwE

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue May 12, 2020 10:09 pm

Well, they know nothing about crab care; all their information and the items in their starter kit is totally inappropriate. They do not offer expedited shipping. They say it's up to you to be sure the weather is going to be good for 7 days after you order; which makes me think that they are saying it could take 7 days for your crabs to arrive. They have a live arrival guarantee, but I would think many will be suffering from PPS after a short time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

asiankanye

Post by asiankanye » Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 pm

Ah ok, I thought it looked a little too cheesy and informal to ship out actually healthy hermits.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue May 12, 2020 11:06 pm

Right now, I would not suggest ordering anything alive through the mail. Shipping has been horrible because so many people are ordering supplies online. I'm having packages that should take 2 days now taking 2 weeks! Even overnight is no longer being guaranteed. It's just not very safe for hermits.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:22 am

Ya I would really not order online. I know you may really want to get them because maybe you find it exciting like I do, but if you really wanna I would adopt from this site.