Canadian buying American Hermit Crab Food

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
22pony22

Canadian buying American Hermit Crab Food

Post by 22pony22 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Is there any restrictions on what can or cannot be in hermit crab food that is being shipped in to Canada from the USA? Both Hermit Crab Patch and Hermie's kitchen say that it is the buyer's responsibility--I personally have no idea. I know from traveling which items are problems for entering USA/ on airplanes. (Fruit, Meat, Plants, Live animals etc) Is it the same for hermit crab food?
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.

Xenpurgisn@cht

Re: Canadian buying American Hermit Crab Food

Post by Xenpurgisn@cht » Sat May 30, 2020 2:51 pm

You shouldn't have any trouble getting hermit food into canada, just make sure they ACTUALLY ship to canada.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat May 30, 2020 3:57 pm

I never had any issues shipping to Canada. Like previously mentioned, just make sure the seller you are purchasing from ships there. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 30, 2020 10:04 pm

It is the same for hermit food, many plant products cannot be shipped across the border without extensive permits in place. It's probably even worse, since it's all raw unprocessed ingredients and any insects or seeds would still be viable. When I had my store, I never sent food for this reason.

There is a Canadian government website that can tell you what can and cannot be mailed. I can't remember what it was off the top of my head. It may have been the customs department. In any case, it was most of the veggies and flowers I was selling at the time.

Not every package is inspected, so a lot of the time sellers can (illegally) 'brownbox' - not mark the package truthfully and see if it goes through. At the least they may toss the package and you're out the money, at the worst they can come after the sender and buyer for breaking the law. Many times you can even mark it right and it will still sail through because I think they only physically look at one in ten boxes, or something small like that.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
22pony22

Post by 22pony22 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 am

Yes, both those companies say yes they ship to Canada. I've already ordered from one of the but I wasn't buying any food (I bought shells, Zoo Med wood and calipers) I did receive everything that I ordered. I haven't ordered from the other one yet because I was waiting for free shipping weekend sale.

I will look up online what is and is not allowed into Canada.

Will Also look at the Hermit crab food company that is on Facebook and see what they have and how it compares to what I was going to order from Hermit Crab Patch and Hermie kitchen
22pony22
Current pets: Happy, Crabcake, Blue and Becca.
RIP: Peaches, Fred, Fishy, Goldie, Buddy, Hero, Nemo, Star, Aqua, Indy, King T. Hermy, Frogi, Grog, Yggorf, #4, Dude, Shelli and Bashful.