The Hermit Crab Garden ~ CLEARANCE!

For topics on hermit crab related stores, and member reviews of them. Also for asking where to find an item. Retailers, please read the sticky regarding our rules before posting!

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: The Hermit Crab Garden - ~New Cookies in Stock~

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:48 am

I should be able to keep the cookies year round. The only thing that is iffy is the Amaranth Hearts. I didn't get a good harvest of the Amaranth this year (stupid chipmunks) so it really depends on how well the cookies sell on if there will be enough of the Amaranth left to make more batches before next fall. If I have to I'll replace them with coconut cookies. (Which is the base for the Amaranth ones now). The only downside to that is it'll make them human safe and then I'll either need to have hubby lock them away or make like a triple batch so I don't each them all. :lol: They are delish!

You can't get the mysis shrimp? Was that something up with the store or is that something you looked into? I've sent other proteins to Canada without issue, so it should be permitted. I'll toss one in with your order and figure out what's going on with the software. ;)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 am

wodesorel wrote:The only downside to that is it'll make them human safe and then I'll either need to have hubby lock them away or make like a triple batch so I don't each them all. :lol: They are delish!
:hlol:
wodesorel wrote:You can't get the mysis shrimp? Was that something up with the store or is that something you looked into? I've sent other proteins to Canada without issue, so it should be permitted. I'll toss one in with your order and figure out what's going on with the software. ;)
Nope, I thought it was the amaranth or the rose petals... so I deleted each article until the red warning dissapeared and the shrimp were to culprit...

Don't just throw some in, let me pay for them!!! If you're sure they can cross the border without issues, I'll gladly send you the money, no prob....

Oh, and will the cookies get moldy and wet in the tat?
4 PPs, started crabbing in August of 2013
18x18x24 Exo-Terra
Many, many successful molts after a few botched ones ;)

lefty

Post by lefty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 am

:shock: holy cow, GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!
QUESTION: the oak and maple leaves, are ready to go in tat? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
10 pp.'s ,5 E's, 2Violas, 4 strawshttp://s1330.photobucket.com/user/aliso ... y/library/
i respect all choices, even the ones that are not mine!( that is to remind ME)

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 am

I've had the cookies mold after 24 hours, but I've also had them last for days and days before without issue. (On those rare occasions when I'm feeling lazy and toss the micros a whole one and they drag it off, only to be found a week later. :roll: ) It's really dependent on humidity levels in the tank and how wet they end up when the crabs run off with them. In my big tank it's never an issue as they're gone by the next morning! If you think yours won't finish a whole one quickly, they're easy to snap into smaller pieces. :)

(And sorry about the hassle with shipping costs. :oops: I'm trying to find an easier way!)

lefty - Yep! They're ready to go. They've been deep frozen for over a month to kill off any creepy crawlies. :)

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:22 am

wodesorel wrote:And sorry about the hassle with shipping costs. :oops: I'm trying to find an easier way!
It's not a hassle at all, firstly I'm used to it, I've been buying stuff on the net for many years (I just placed an order last week with Naples and it was the same thing)

and secondly you're are so kind about it, it's not even a hassle :D

Don't worry, it's really not more complicated on our end, I just hope it's not too complicated on your end and that you'd decide to stop shipping to us Canadians :?
4 PPs, started crabbing in August of 2013
18x18x24 Exo-Terra
Many, many successful molts after a few botched ones ;)

Jlee1985

Post by Jlee1985 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:15 pm

Ordered some cookies can't wait to see how my crabs like them. :D
"no more pet!" or so he said ;)

LindsayRuthann

Post by LindsayRuthann » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:25 am

I just placed a nice little order, cannot wait to let my crabs try the cookies and mix! :clap:
Seven PP: Robb, Jacques, Claude, Fynn Minnie, Anna, & Helen.

Jlee1985

Post by Jlee1985 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:55 am

Thanks for the extra gift of coconut nectar. I'm Going to have to buy some more, I put small amount in a dish and one of my crabs ate all of it the other crabs dragged the cookie off. Thank you
"no more pet!" or so he said ;)

Ammolite

Post by Ammolite » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:51 pm

I just wanted to thank Wode for the wonderful products and customer service! The crabs are loving the leaves I bought, and a Sweet Star cookie was a huge hit. (4 small-to-medium crabs polished-off half a cookie in one night!) I haven't used any of the veggies mixes I ordered, but they look superb. (Additional thanks for the sample mix included in my order.)

Just one question - I saw that the ingredients in the cookies are all natural and fresh (which is wonderful). However, I also know that all-natural baked goods spoil quickly. I'm currently storing the cookies in the freezer in a zip-top freezer bag. How long will they last in there?
10 PP's and 1 Indo:
PP's - Lordy, Lady, Squire, Khaleesi, Ko, Pirate, Scurvy Dog, Hamburg, Berks, and Franklin
Indo - Biscuit

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:57 pm

:clap: Thank you! :D

The last batch of cookies I made lasted at room temperature (kept cool, dry, and dark) with no problems for over six months. I'm still feeding some of my crabs the first test batch that I made back in February! (Tip: Do not hide your own crab food from the cats so good that you don't remember where you put it....)

In a freezer I imagine they could easily last a year or two since there's no moisture in them that could cause freezer-burn.

LindsayRuthann

Post by LindsayRuthann » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:18 pm

I'm 200% satisfied with my order, I love everything so much, and so do my crabbies! Helen is LOVING the Tropical Seafood Chowder mix, and Robb likes the sweet star cookie I just put in. He also just switched into one of the Magpies I ordered from you, and looks very content!

The forest moss is also AMAZING, it smells so good and Matt just crawled up there to enjoy it!
Thank you so so so much! I will absolutely be ordering again in the future!
Seven PP: Robb, Jacques, Claude, Fynn Minnie, Anna, & Helen.

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:09 am

Thank you for the photos! He looks so good. I love a crab in a magpie. :D

For anyone wanting to order this weekend -

Sorghum Sticks and Sorghum Seeds are done, and they'll be packaged and listed by Friday evening.

Burning Bush Leaves are on the dryer now, but I don't know how long they'll take! They were on for 24 hours and I thought they were ready to go, but the berries are so plump that they didn't dry enough and they had to go back on again. As soon as the berries have dried enough to be packaged safely they'll be listed. :)

And that also means that as soon as the leaves are ready, new Variety and Sample packs will be, too! ;)

Tamara

Post by Tamara » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Hey there Wode. Long time no talk. I lost my log in info for awhile :happy3: hehe but I'm back now

I just made a $22 order from your store lol (including shipping) The little guys were getting low on food. It all looks great! I can't wait to pick what they try first :D
Mama to 4 PPs. In order of smallest to largest, Peanut, Itty Bitty, Haji, and Bandit.
Moving and having to downsize sucked. I miss my One Eye and Azula, but they are in good hands.
Little Race, your time was short, but you will always be missed

kuza

Post by kuza » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:26 pm

You still can't do Canadian orders?

Topic author
wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:42 pm

kuza wrote:You still can't do Canadian orders?
I've been doing Canadian orders! :)

Details here:
http://hermitcrabgarden.com/international-orders/

Checkout using the Canada option as the store doesn't calculate shipping so I have to do it manually and then send an invoice. (Which sucks.) Shipping starts at $7 for the smallest package possible and goes up from there. Most expensive thing I've sent so far was $11 in shipping and contained a bunch of heavy shells.

Individual items are marked if they can be sent or not in their description page. I'm not comfortable sending any of the mixes (sure to be inspected/removed) and anything that contains bushes or tree products or weeds is a big no, so no leaves or bark or dandelion/grass either. As far as all the garden stuff and the other items (like the coconut and protein) there hasn't been an problem yet with customs and I don't expect there to ever be one. :)

And I'm putting together a Canada Pack (like the boxes I was selling earlier this summer) that'll have a nice variety, will include shipping costs, and will be a bit cheaper then ordering everything separately. Should have that up this weekend!