Eggs again this year!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
hermitharbor

Eggs again this year!

Post by hermitharbor » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Hey guys :) I haven't been on much, but I just wanted to share the fun time I had with my girls this summer. Enjoy the pictures!

Ama had eggs again this year, and Nora had some for the first time ever! She's been with me since she was a tiny little thing, so it's been neat to watch her grow and reach sexual maturity.

First I found Ama, around the middle of July:

Then about 1.5 weeks later, I found Nora:

I checked them again about a week or two later (I think):

Ama (it was difficult to get a sharp picture because she wasn't very cooperative--she gets very protective--and her shell has an obnoxious opening which makes it difficult)

Nora (she was much more obliging)

I checked the next week, and Ama had already spawned them around the tank (apparently water bowls aren't cool to spawn in). But Nora still had hers since she wasn't as far along. I got some really nice pictures:

About a week later, I caught her sitting on the driftwood rather suspiciously when I went to refresh food and water, and realized she was spawning! I got some pictures and even a video:

She considerately dropped some in the food dish to feed her tank mates:

She also dropped them everywhere I found out the next morning (all were gobbled up rather quickly):

Here is a link to her spawning her eggs. It's about a minute long and really cool to watch:

https://youtu.be/lxmCkSrW4XA

And that's about it! Figured I'd share this year's egg fun. Hopefully one year I will be able to attempt to raise them. We shall see! :crabbigsmile:
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)

joe84

Re: Eggs again this year!

Post by joe84 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:24 pm

Awesome! thanks for sharing

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:45 pm

That's very cool! Thank you for sharing!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Very neat! If they ever dropped their eggs in the salt water would you try and raise them?
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

Topic author
hermitharbor

Post by hermitharbor » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:16 pm

hermitcrabdc wrote:Very neat! If they ever dropped their eggs in the salt water would you try and raise them?
Provided I had the time and money, I'd love to! Eventually I hope to get something big enough that I can have bigger pools with bubblers and such, so that it's more tempting to drop them there. My pools are just still water, so it may not be very appealing. It would be SO much fun though I think. Hopefully my girls will keep giving me chances :)
Follow me on my crab blog! Hermit Harbor

The 6 PPs of The Harbor: Ama (♀), Nora (♀), Neptune (♂), Lir (♂), Allie (♀), Bongo (♂)
The 2 E's of The Fiefdom: Nami (♀), Unnamed (♀)