Aussie Breeding Success Dec 2016/Jan2017

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Kermie16

Re: Aussie Breeding attempt #2 Dec 2016

Post by Kermie16 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 am

Oooo!! Soooo exciting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Yay stage 2!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:48 pm

Eeeeeeeeeee! :cheer:
This is so exciting!
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Crabobsessed

Post by Crabobsessed » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24 pm

:clap: :cheer:

Topic author
Renroc

Aussie Breeding Success Dec 2016/Jan2017

Post by Renroc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:42 am

Today is Day 6 and there are absolutely shed skins in the water today. They are curled up in little balls so it is easy to pick them out as different from the zoea11. Water wasn't as murky this morning so I only did a change at 2100 tonight. Things seem to be progressing steadily.
Last edited by Renroc on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:20 am

Awesome! Great job! Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:58 pm

Nice!! This is rad! I am so jealous.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:21 am

:luck:: I'm so excited for you! I really want you to succeed!! :D

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:25 am

Very tired as I've driven to Brisbane and back (2hrs each way) and been to see Cirque Du Soliel today.

Before I left Bought some marine salt this morning.
1300 Looked carefully and definitely have lobster claws out the front and hanging onto shed skins. Put a bit of food and some shells in before I went to Brisbane.

OK got home at midnight and there was heaps and heaps of megalopa. Very few still at zoea 2 I did a water change tonight and it was already murky again within about 30 minutes.
Turned the air rate down and they are absolutely interested in shells.

After mixing up the salt and sitting watching for ages I took a final look at Jar 2 and discovered that all (which is a day behind but has less) are megalopa. Put some food and shells in and turned the air flow down and yep straight for shells and food. These seem more advanced than the first jar even though they are a day behind.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:15 pm

Renroc wrote:Very tired as I've driven to Brisbane and back (2hrs each way) and been to see Cirque Du Soliel today.

1300 Looked carefully and definitely have lobster claws out the front and hanging onto shed skins. Put a bit of food and some shells in before I went to Brisbane.

OK got home at midnight and there was heaps and heaps of megalopa. Very few still at zoea 2 I did a water change tonight and it was already murky again within about 30 minutes.

After mixing up the salt and sitting watching for ages I took a final look at Jar 2 and discovered that all (which is a day behind but has less) are megalopa. Put some food and shells in and turned the air flow down and yep straight for shells and food. These seem more advanced than the first jar even though they are a day behind.
this is so amazing! thank you so so much for posting this and letting me and everyone else be apart of this exciting and amazing time with you!!

:cheer: :crabblush: :clap:

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:09 pm

Renroc wrote:Very tired as I've driven to Brisbane and back (2hrs each way) and been to see Cirque Du Soliel today.

I can't wait for pictures!

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:13 pm

Where did you find shells tiny enough for these miracles?

"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:05 am

Well it seems I still have a lot to learn. High mortality rate in the synthetic ocean jar (jar 1) which is more than likely due to me doing water changes taking too much out at once. OK so next time (when the kriesel is up and running I plan to mark on the end of the tank top water level and then a 25% mark and a 33% mark so I can be much more accurate. Jar 2 has less in it and the water has been less cloudy so I have done smaller water changes there and all are looking good. PLUS that is the pure ocean water not the made up water. Learning curve is high... Specially seeing I've never had fish to learn these skills on. Just precious crab zoea/megaploa.

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:08 am

kieagcarm wrote:Where did you find shells tiny enough for these miracles?

Shell grit for birds is one source and I've also scoured the local beach shell grit. Plus Natalie Van Amstel has sent me some after my last attempt.

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:11 am

Can't work out how to post images as I don't have them saved anywhere other than my computer or facebook.