Aussie Breeding Success Dec 2016/Jan2017

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

kieagcarm

Re: Aussie Breeding attempt #2 Dec 2016

Post by kieagcarm » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:14 am

Renroc wrote:Can't work out how to post images as I don't have them saved anywhere other than my computer or facebook.
You posted a video that works, maybe do the same? I think what you're doing is amazing

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:51 am

I dont know what sizes you'd need but have some tiny ones and can post a picture if you like. No rush but if it comes to little crablets i wouldn't mind sending them.

[Took me forever to figure photos out i had to use tapatalk]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:59 pm

Super exciting! So happy for your success!
Cirque du Soleil is INCREDIBLE! I've seen Mysetre & La Noube. Love the music too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:50 pm

Monday 12th December Day 9

I’m much relieved to be able to see gut tracks in both jars today. I can even see black spots where eyes are. They are growing. 0830 did a 33% water change and then added 1 drop of prime and a shake of food. Some in both jars are laying on their backs with legs out waiting for food to fall into them others are up the right way actively searching among the shells at the bottom for food. Doesn’t look like any have taken shells yet though.
Jar 1 has a few more dead ones but that is sort of what I expected but there are a good number of live ones as well which is promising.
Both jars are back to ocean water as of last night. BUT I'm thinking now that Jar 1 issues were probably NOT the synthetic salt water but too much current and they couldn't get to the food. Was trying to keep those still at zoea 2 stage alive and ended up starving the mega. OH dear getting the balance is tricky.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Just Jay wrote:I dont know what sizes you'd need but have some tiny ones and can post a picture if you like. No rush but if it comes to little crablets i wouldn't mind sending them.

[Took me forever to figure photos out i had to use tapatalk]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
That's probably what I did with the last one. But I find tapatalk very confusing too. AH well I will sort it I guess. Thanks for the tip
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:44 am

https://vimeo.com/195251996
My mega on the morning of day 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 am

My set up is pretty basic but is seems to be working

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:08 am

I personally love your setup. The pop of colour from the clothes pegs are a nice touch! ;) (But I'm sure they work well regardless!)

(Basic? Nat did have success using this method, so I'm sure that basic comes into play. Maybe simple and easy to quickly put togethor?)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:40 am

https://vimeo.com/195274694
Mega pigging out on beta food. A good sign that makes me much relieved.

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:36 am

Very cool!!!

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:43 am

I am very happy with the progress today. Did a final water change (33%) at midnight. Sat and watched for a little while and is going to sound really weird but I was looking through the magnifying glass again and I thought for about 2 seconds that one mega had a stinger (like bees) until I realised it was doing a poo!!!!! hehehehehe

They really seem to be much more interested in the food than eating each other which is a big plus. Last attempt they ate each other in preference. Tuesday I am going to the reef supply shop to get some brine shrimp eggs. See what sort of reaction they create.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:23 am

Thank you so much for sharing! This is so exciting! I look forward to this thread every day!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Tuesday 13th December Day 10
Not even in shells yet.

0830 and I did a 1/3 water change and checked with magnifying glass. Could see non in shells but they are in and around the shells getting the food that has settled there. Definitely not eating each other as there are 3 or 4 together getting the food and leaving each other alone so that’s great. Both jars are looking good. Still a few swimming up in the water column that don’t look as big as the others down the bottom (BUT that may be due to magnification of the thicker glass at the bottom) all do have gut tracks though. Very few bodies so that is great as it means that the ones that are alive are staying alive.
Hard to tell but possibly 20 in each jar that are survivors.
The shells look soo big compared to the mega that you wonder how they will ever haul them around. :lol:
Its my :birthday: today so some in shells by the end of the day would be a great prezzie.

kieagcarm

Post by kieagcarm » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Renroc wrote:Tuesday 13th December Day 10
Not even in shells yet.

0830 and I did a 1/3 water change and checked with magnifying glass. Could see non in shells but they are in and around the shells getting the food that has settled there. Definitely not eating each other as there are 3 or 4 together getting the food and leaving each other alone so that’s great. Both jars are looking good. Still a few swimming up in the water column that don’t look as big as the others down the bottom (BUT that may be due to magnification of the thicker glass at the bottom) all do have gut tracks though. Very few bodies so that is great as it means that the ones that are alive are staying alive.
Hard to tell but possibly 20 in each jar that are survivors.
The shells look soo big compared to the mega that you wonder how they will ever haul them around. Image
Its my :birthday: today so some in shells by the end of the day would be a great prezzie.
This is wonderful, happy birthdayImage

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:29 pm

What a great birthday present! Hopefully they will be good enough to start hauling them around soon - even though its probably way too soon! :) Glad they still going well and you have a good number of survivors so far.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies