Kreisel Tank Setup Diagram

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Kreisel Tank Setup Diagram

Post by PinchersAndShells » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:15 pm

I made a diagram for future me to build off of, and ask questions. (I plan on attempting getting zoea/megalopa to land when I'm an adult.) Mainly I would just like some general feedback and help as to if I'm on the right track here.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

biancaalexis

Re: Kreisel Tank Setup Diagram

Post by biancaalexis » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I want to do the same! Ive been trying to think of how
to make a diy kreisel tank lmk look forward to seeing how your design advances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 Hermies | Lover of Totes | DIY envisionist

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:24 am

As for waterchanges, a find mesh sieve will work well. Maybe look for something similar to what people use for brine shrimp?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:57 am

aussieJJDude wrote:As for waterchanges, a find mesh sieve will work well. Maybe look for something similar to what people use for brine shrimp?
So something like this? http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/c9/ ... -p181.html
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:I made a diagram for future me to build off of, and ask questions. (I plan on attempting getting zoea/megalopa to land when I'm an adult.) Mainly I would just like some general feedback and help as to if I'm on the right track here.
ImageImage
I'm in the process of making this. It's a 150mm poly pipe cut to fit a fish tank. Cut a rectangle out of it for access. Silicone it into place in tank. Then you need a rigid air delivery placed just right to get circulation. Air stone is not a good solution for this set up.

Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:11 am

I was making a diagram for more of a makeshift setup, but that it also very helpful to see. What would you need for the circulation?
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:28 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:I was making a diagram for more of a makeshift setup, but that it also very helpful to see. What would you need for the circulation?

An air pump to deliver the air. I am planning on using the black risers for garden irrigation sprinklers as the tube to deliver. With normal air hose to the pump.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:29 pm

This is my current set up. It works quite well.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:13 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:So something like this? http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/c1/c9/ ... -p181.html
Yeah, something like that. :)

Renroc, what will you use to adhere the PVC to the side of the tank? After a while, silicone sealant will break over time. So interested to know. Do you plan to "cap" it with PVC ends using PVC glue and then using a "Stand" to support and hold the pipe upright? And at the same time, allow access to remove the PVC from the tank to clean or to relocate in a seam busts?
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:58 am

Renroc, what will you use to adhere the PVC to the side of the tank? After a while, silicone sealant will break over time. So interested to know. Do you plan to "cap" it with PVC ends using PVC glue and then using a "Stand" to support and hold the pipe upright? And at the same time, allow access to remove the PVC from the tank to clean or to relocate in a seam busts?[/quote]

I don't expect the aquarium silicone to degrade very much over time. There will be very little movement to stress the join. Water in the fish tank (outside the pipe) will support the weight of the water in the pipe. NO not adding end caps just purely sealing the pipe in place. Will put support under it until the silicone cures but that will be removed. Using silicone to put the air pipe in position as well. Will use bluetac until I get the position right.

Pipe is going horizontal in the tank with the opening at the top.

Topic author
PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 am

Renroc wrote:Image

This is my current set up. It works quite well.

So the jar and the (I think?) fishbowl on the left currently contain the zoea/megalopa? Or does the other fishbowl on the very left contain some too? Also, what is the water bottle for? Heating?
Captive Bred PP = Randy

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:55 am

Two jars on left with red/blue pegs have zoea. 1 day apart into the tat salt water pool. Other jar was getting ready in case I ended up splitting jar 1 contents. Water bottle is salt water getting up to temp.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Zoea and mega are very fragile. Water changes need to be done without moving them too much. Scooping them up in a fish net would be way too damaging.

Initially I use a larger piece of clear plastic tubing with a stocking over the end to avoid sucking up the zoea as they are everywhere and very tiny. I found though that once you have mega and they start eating there is a lot more waste and this doesn't go through the stocking so I then change the stocking to fine fish net material. This stops the mega going through but I always check the discards jar and also the tube (that's why it needs to be clear) just in case one manages to get in. AND IT HAS HAPPENED.

When you can clearly see the gut track of the mega I use some airline tubing with a plastic straw on one end to make it easier to direct to the gunk that needs to be sucked out. Put a collection jar lower than the jar you are emptying and it will work. You might have to suck on it first to fill it up.

I use this same method to add more clean water as it causes minor disturbances to the mega and shells on the bottom. To add water I have the container of clean water higher than the jars with mega. Same deal as before. get it started and then let it flow carefully into the jar.

I then leave the tubing in a U shape with water in it. A rubber band or twist tie around both ends hanging over the laundry sink. This means you won't have to suck on it again to get it going for next time.

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:20 pm

Brilliant! This is SO helpful!! I tried a turkey baster with panty hose over the end but it still seemed to be very disruptive. I like the slower and more passive siphoning tube. :)