Zoea?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Bonk

Zoea?

Post by Bonk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi All, I haven't been too active on this site before, however, I finally have something to ask!

I must sound like a horrible crab owner to not change the water everyday, but it was this odd occasion I left it for several days until the scheduled re-décor. When I went to change out the water this morning, and noticed an odd smell coming from the salt-water. I swirled the water slightly, there were HEAPS of small white objects floating up to the surface. Some where tiny balls, and others were narrow at one end, then widened at the other. There was also a broken film-like substance floating on the water's surface.

This was only found in the salt-water bowl, I have never seen anything of the like, and I don't know much about breeding. I definitely have males and females, of all ages, 12 crabs in total in a 160L / 40GI. What do you guys think? I had a slight suspicion that they may have been (I hate to say it) rotting Zoea. I understand they are opaque/clear, and that they need oxygenated water for them to survive? Would the eggs need more than a few days to hatch? I'd heard they would only breed in large salt-water bodies with tidal simulation? Does it indicate that something is out with my set-up for them to breed? Will it happen again?

Any info, and or links would be much appreciated. I do have photos, but I cannot upload them. My thanks in advance.
Bonk.
Proud owner of a 160L (40G) with 10 Australian hermits: Salvatore, Gillana, Polly 13/10/13; Cadet 25/08/14; Boho 5/09/15; Twinkie, Egg 27/09/15; Gumnut, Zipper, Rainbow 5/10/15.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Zoea?

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm

I'm tagging @Renroc for this one. She has had success with Zoea, and would be able to tell what they look like. I know the eggs are like balls, but I am unsure of coloring, etc. I have heard of food mites gathering in water but that doesn't sound like what you are talking about. Hopefully you will hear from Sue.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Could be zoea that didn't make it. Eggs hatch immediately they contact the salt water but without constant movement they won't survive long. Some may have lived long enough to shed skins but it is likely that you have just got zoea sludge. Don't feel bad about not changing water daily. I change mine every few weeks but I do top it up regularly. I also have airstones (bubblers) in both my fresh and salt pools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
Bonk

Post by Bonk » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:45 pm

Thank-you for the prompt replies!
Proud owner of a 160L (40G) with 10 Australian hermits: Salvatore, Gillana, Polly 13/10/13; Cadet 25/08/14; Boho 5/09/15; Twinkie, Egg 27/09/15; Gumnut, Zipper, Rainbow 5/10/15.