Determining Gender of my Crabs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Determining Gender of my Crabs

Post by HeyItsEggs » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi guys!
Is there any way to figure out the gender of my hermit crab with out looking for gonopores? I have looked around and some websites say one thing and others say another thing. I have three crabs and i was wondering if I could figure out the gender of my shell babies!
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Determining Gender of my Crabs

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Gonopores (underneath) and pleopods (inside shell) = female I don't know of any other ways. Sorry.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:13 pm

Just be patient... eventually they'll be climbing the glass and you'll have the chance to see. :)

There really isn't any other reliable method - unless you catch one in a shell change and it definately has pleopods... then it's female. But they often change too fast to get a good look.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

he-man

Post by he-man » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:52 pm

I put my hermies in a glass measuring cup. This method might take a little while, depending on how timid your crab is. You could also use a glass bowl as a substitute for a measuring cup.
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)