Are my hermits breeding?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
HeyItsEggs

Are my hermits breeding?

Post by HeyItsEggs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi my fellow shell baby Moms and Dads!
I have my three hermit crabs. I determined Malibu's gender while she was changing shells she has pleopods! YAY! I wanted her to be a girl! But my two PPs who I named to be female, are starting to seem as if they are male. They are darker in color and have bigger BPs than Mal. Cappuccino is not the problem. It's Mocha, he/she is climbing on top of Mal and I try to separate them and it doesn't work! He/she goes right back to her! :roll: By how I am describing my two PPs, do you think they are male? And if so, are they breeding? And while I am at it, if you guys do think that Mocha or both are boys do you have any name suggestions?
Thanks guys!
Sophia :D
Sophia aka "Eggs"
Four PPs, Rio, Rolo, Curlz and Malibu in a 40 gallon
May they rest in peace- Mango- 1/13/17 and Stefanio- 1/10/17

NLindsey921

Re: Are my hermits breeding?

Post by NLindsey921 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:02 am

http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... p?t=112724

Here is a link to the most recent successful breeding.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Luis, my definitely female crab sits on a much smaller crab, Aster quite regularly. I think its a dominance thing.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocT8po6g8jY This is a video of the deed taken by one of our admin's who isn't as active anymore. Hope this helps.