Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
mlakers

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by mlakers » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:36 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Mary - you have done AMAZING!!! Look at how far you have made it!!! You should be proud of yourself!!! I know it is disappointing, but you are doing something us humans just haven't figured out quite yet. Kudos to you for all of your hard work and dedication!!! Your crabbies are lucky to have a dedicated caretaker HUGS!!! We understand how you feel!!! :love4:
Thank you. :)

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Nooo that's sad. My sympathy to you.. I know the hours of worry and dedication. Probably read through some other posts about your breed and see when they started being interested in shells and when people turned air flow down and and and and.... I know you are not ready for investigations but keep it in mind.

Others who have done this.. what is the shell choosing time for most breeds? I'm only experienced with Aussies and we are soo different.

Keep on crabbing.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Sending good thoughts. You did as much for them as anyone could have! Be proud!

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 am

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Sending good thoughts. You did as much for them as anyone could have! Be proud!
Thank you! :)

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Not sure if I should start a new thread or not, but as of today I'm waiting on four females with eggs to drop any time now and I plan to give rearing them another go. I've been gearing up for this ever since last summer's failed attempt--I've been selling crab dishes and dehydrated foods to help fund new supplies and a custom-built kreisel tank. We are on day 28, post-mating, and the eggs I've seen are a lovely gray. There's been lots of pacing and hanging out of shells, super hopeful. I will try to come in and post my progress, but it can take a ton of additional time that I may not have so I plan to be most consistent posting pictures and updates on my website: http://www.maryakers.com/inthecrabitat

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Wow!! Four? How exciting! I think you should just keep this post going! :clap: I will definitely be following your progress here! Best of luck!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:32 am

Good luck. I"m buying a new male in a week or so and hoping for eggs this season too. Yours seem quite out of season though???
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm

Not out of season for Caribbean crabs. Mine have been pretty consistent mating on or around the July /August full moon. Here they are "migrating" yesterday. All is quiet in the tat today.

https://youtu.be/WsxDOer5NUg

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:44 pm

And this is a somewhat blurry slo-mo, but if you are patient, you can see a couple of zoea swim by, furiously using their legs and swimmerets, which surprised me. I didn't think they were active swimmers until later stages, but this is Day One. :)

https://youtu.be/642HrvlWP74

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm

Awesome videos!! So excited for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Wow!! So cool!!! Congrats!!!

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Day Two:

The double kreisel is working well. The hardest part about it is going to be keeping it clean. I fed three times today, small amounts, but they could (and should) have been smaller amounts even. Overfeeding is a problem I have to keep in check. Even if it seems like super small amounts, the larvae are super small, too. And they do find the food, so I just need to ease off.

I fed Marine Snow, Nannochloropsis, and decapsulated baby brine shrimp. I also had some freshly hatched Artemia and squirted a dropperful of those guys in. I changed the water twice, once in the morning and once before bed. Each kreisel holds 2 1/2 gallons and I changed out 1/2 gallon each time, so a 20% water change twice today. I may need to up that amount as the days pass, but it was still pretty clean today.

One of my females dropped her eggs in the freshwater pool. That was a sad and putrid mess, thousands of dead, stinky zoeae. I had to empty and clean out the whole pool and it's a pretty large one. I think that clueless crab was Lola. She was the one who spawned on the sand near the freshwater pool last year. Oddly enough, Kermit--my alpha male who mated with most or all of the females--had been weirdly guarding Lola (even though they had mated a month ago) and keeping her away from the freshwater pool for three days. Now I think maybe he was trying to make sure she didn't spawn there. So odd.

Artemis still has eggs and they are super dark, so I'm hoping she spawns tonight. I'm pretty sure Garbo does, too, just based on behavior, so I will have some hard choices to make. I definitely know that I want as many of Artemis's babies to have a chance as possible. She's a super social, friendly crab who comes to the sound of my voice and takes food from my hand. If you're trying to breed captive hermits, it makes sense to select for the traits that make for a better pet than a wild animal.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 pm

Selective breeding for better pets?

I’m imagining domesticated hermit crabs in the distant future. Might be interesting...

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 pm

Good luck!

naalide

Post by naalide » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:22 am

:clap: Good luck! My fingers are crossed!
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)