Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
mlakers

Re: Artemis, Day 14 carrying eggs

Post by mlakers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Day 33 ... and ... also Day 1.

And I am SO unsure how I feel about that.

I was up till midnight, finally updating my blog and filling some Etsy orders. Just before turning out the light, I noticed Lola acting weird and another crab trying to keep her away from the freshwater pool. If you recall, Lola was the one who spawned twice last year (second time on the sand) and spawned in the freshwater earlier this summer. She’s clearly an industrious but very confused breeder.

Lola had been acting a little broody yesterday, off by herself, hanging partway out of her shell near the saltwater, but I never confirmed eggs, and yet something about her behavior last night seemed very much like spawning and I KNEW I did not want her spawning in the freshwater again (so much work to clean, so smelly and awful) so I covered the freshwater pool, added some warmer saltwater to the saltwater pool to encourage her in that direction, tried a few more enticements, watched for a bit then finally went to bed when it looked like she might throw her eggs into the shell shop. Whatever. Too tired to try anything else.

Then, just like that, this morning I have 10,000 more chances.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Congratulations! We’re rooting for you! I wish I could help. I’m only 2 hrs from Troy, NY, where your daughters business is.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Congrats that she went to the right pool! This is very exciting to hear and follow, cant wait to see the following updates.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 pm

Day 34. Still hanging in there. :hlol:

Transferred 13 megalopa to the transition tank today. I wasn't aware that I had that many. They can be sneaky and tough to count in a big 2 1/2 gallon kreisel. I still have about 15 or so at stage five, too. And of course a bazillion now at Day Two.

Just keepin' on keepin' on.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Love, Love, Love that you're doing so AMAZING!!!! Keep up the amazing work!!!! :clap:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Oh my word!! She is a breeding machine!! I think she secretly wants you both to be successful at this so she just keeps on giving you babies! Lol. :cheer:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Day 36.

First megalopa takes a shell and climbs out of the water onto a rock!! I am so ridiculously excited!!!

In the first photo, my finger is pointing to the shell to give you an idea of just how very small it is. The other picture I took with a clip-on iPhone macro lens. The megalopa is right at the water’s edge so he's soaking wet, but you can just make out the legs and an eye. I put a single defrosted brine shrimp at the top of the rock (using a toothpick) and he climbed up and ate it! He’s now back in the water, which will likely happen for a few days before he decides to go 100% land. :D

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Such a tiny-cute little baby! That’s so cool you got to watch him/or/her eat! I can see his little eyes and legs. Such an amazing little one! You and your little ones are in our thoughts and prayers! Keep doing an awesome job!

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Thank you, @RiNiKy506! I am ridiculously excited! :banana:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:40 pm

So excited for your accomplishment!!! You have done amazing! I am so proud of you!!! Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:17 pm

So close now! Cant wait to see their cute lil faces on land.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

AgentK25

Post by AgentK25 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am

OMG!! I'm so excited for you!! :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :cheer: :cheer: :banana: :banana: I've been following your progress with great anticipation! You ROCK!!
Devoted Mom to 1 macaw, 1 cat, and 9 PPs

Topic author
mlakers

Post by mlakers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:57 pm

I've had three take shells and go to land. Two met untimely deaths (lots of pitfalls when you're that tiny), but one seems to be doing pretty well. Took a video of my setup and the little new guy to give a shot of size-perspective.

http://maryakers.com/day-44/

I still have some stage five and several megalopa in the transition tank, so there may ultimately be more than just the one survivor from that first spawn. Two additional late spawns have been added to the kreisel tanks now and I'm keeping on with the little ones. Tons of work, but also a good chance to fix the mistakes I made earlier and streamline the process.

It's possible the second spawn was an Ecuadorian, but I can't confirm. However, the zoeae are much faster, growing super quickly, and seem to be especially cannibalistic despite me supplying plenty of food. I guess time will tell me what they are if I can get them far along enough. :D

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:24 am

You are definitely right when you said, “I don’t think I’ll ever look at these guys the same way again”, they are so amazing! Come on little one, we are rooting for you!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:13 pm

That is so incredible and amazing! Awesome job!! I texted you, but one can never show enough support!! :cloud9: :cheer: :clap: