Encouraging Breeding?

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Encouraging Breeding?

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:20 am

I am trying to see if I'm able to pull off a crabitat remodel soon. I'm wondering, what conditions should I try to recreate to make it conducive to breeding? I have two male and two female Es.
I've been reading the other breeding threads, but wondered if there's anything special I should add for Es?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Encouraging Breeding?

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:23 am

Luck? Most people that have success seem to offer a balanced diet, deep substrate and often have a ideal sw pool.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 am

I think the only thing I'm lacking is a fabulous saltwater pool. I'm brainstorming ideas to upgrade from the dishes I have, which are sufficient, just not great.
I'm thinking some 5 gallon glass aquariums? I keep freshwater fish, so I'd be able to cycle a freshwater pool, but I've never had salt, so I'm not sure.
Last edited by DreaminginBlue_2 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:51 am

My Es produced zoea once I found two very large dominate males. I think the displays of dominance kicked the medium sized ladies into a natural cycle, as before thar I had never had any eggs that I found. However, they also started killing each other, too. So...
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:06 am

I see... yikes. I wouldn't want that to happen!
I have two medium sized males. Lately they've been bothering each other, but mostly just antennae wars and a bit of shoving. The girls couldn't care less.
I'll just leave them alone and see what happens. Maybe the upgrade will cause them to change their minds, maybe not.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:30 pm

My pools are a gallon. Mlakers and I both offer modified hamster wheels (lots of exercise), and UVB lighting. As far as substrate- mine is about 12" deep. I'm also hands off with my crabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Thanks GB. I'll try that if I'm able to upgrade. :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Yw! Good luck!!!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 pm

When my Es went they were in a basic 55 gallon with no lighting (but in a decently lit room near a window) and had smaller 2 cup dishes that were deep enough to submerge in. For how many times my crabs have pumped out babies with me doing nothing more than what the careguide offers I really don't think it has anything to do with special conditions. It comes down to luck on if you get fertile individuals of either sex who are interested and have properly timed molts.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:42 am

Thanks wodesorel. I'll do my best.
However, it seems all my E's are interested in currently is shoving each other off the climbing furniture and then chirping as loud as the can if anyone gets near them. :lol:
They don't strike me as interested in becoming parents, but we'll see.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:16 am

Luck certainly plays into it! My zoeae are either Es or PPs...both live in that tank. I think they are PP zoeae though. Just a feeling. The last time I saw eggs was a year ago, and they were on the sand. Either way...Good luck!!!

Topic author
DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you. I'm not sure I'd be able to handle raising Zoeae after seeing how hard it is... but I'll cheer you and mlakers on from the sidelines!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Hey~ everyone trying has valuable feedback to add!!!

Princess R.

Post by Princess R. » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:06 pm

how about a ten gallon tank? Does my crab need a bigger tank to even think about breeding? thats all iv'e got. :(
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Princess R. wrote:how about a ten gallon tank? Does my crab need a bigger tank to even think about breeding? thats all iv'e got. :(
Generally, larger tanks are more likely to have eggs produced. Whether its due to the tank size or simply the amount of crabs - increases breeding potential- is undetermined.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies