I HAVE ZOEAE!!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

GabyRaven

Re: I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GabyRaven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:40 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
GabyRaven wrote:Oh my gosh!!!!! Good luck!!!!! I'm so excited for you!! It wasn't Janet was it? Image
Ha ha! No, this is in my 100 gallon crabitat. :)
Hahaha oh jeez it could be anyone Image Good luck!! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giner13

Post by Giner13 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Ah my gosh!!! Definitely keep us updated on the babies' developments!!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Wow! Congrats!! You got this!!! Definitely keep us updated!!

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

annedow9

Post by annedow9 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm so excited for you!

aprilmay

Post by aprilmay » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Congratulations!!! This is awesome!
I just read this from naalide's thread, so interesting. hermit crabs like to breed during storms? fascinating.
I advanced the theory, that breeding has something to do with the weather, especially areas of high pressure.
Since December 2012 we had no anticyclone in Germany. Since 2 month it's nearly 'tropical' (mostly over 25°C, very often up to 35°C and higher humidity than normal). Seems to stimulate the crabs.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:56 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Thanks everyone for your help! First of all I will apologize - my posts will be nothing like mlakers!!! LOL!! I am not a fine skilled writer like she is!! ;) I wish I was!!

So..I re-read mlakers posts, and pm'd her. I have a 10 gallon tank set up, halfway filled with water. I have a heater in it set to 80 degrees. I also have a power head in there to keep the water flowing. (all filled with freshwater to avoid msw build up. Then I have the 1 gallon betta bowl (my betta now lives in a 5 gallon tank :wink: ), with an airstone and a piece of coral. The coral will help balance ph, and give them something to cling to. then I have 4 large mason jars filled with msw in there acclimating to the temp for the upcoming water changes. Mlakers has been communicating with me via text which has been very helpful!! All pet stores are out of airstones here due to hurricane Irma. None of the pet stores have brine shrimp eggs, so I did give them a little spirulina - which they ate. I ordered some from amazon, but they won't be delivered until Sept 20th..thanks to Irma as well. There is an aquarium store in a city about 20 miles away that could have it, but they were closed today. I'll call to see if they have some tomorrow. :)
U may have tried already but I got my airstones at Walmart in the fish section.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies!! Very cool, did not know that hermit Crabs liked to breed during storms...we've had quite a few this hurricane season!

I almost attempted Walmart. Walmart terrifies me! It's so busy. Today I pulled into the parking lot which was SLAMMED full. The garden center (which is my favorite way in/out) was closed and locked. I think everyone is shopping to get air conditioning! I just couldn't do it! I have the one :)

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

DreaminginBlue_2

Post by DreaminginBlue_2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:24 pm

So excited! You can do this!! :D

mjjluver

Post by mjjluver » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:52 pm

hooray! who's hosting the baby shower?! :) :luck:: :luck::

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:57 am

Wow!! So exciting!! Congrats!! And I would love to see pics of the set up if possible. We recently had eggs in ours but nothing swimming around. Hopefully in the future I will be able to do the same^_^ Cheering you on!!!

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am

Thank you for all of the comments! I love them!

I feel like I'm stealing mlakers thunder! :| Will post pics on Tapatalk in a few minutes. I don't have a camera like hers though...guess I better look into a micro lens for my camera!

Day 2...Did my first water change this morning. Went well. The tedious thing was transferring the zoea that went with the water change, even though I attempted to avoid them. I used an airline tube to do the water change. I got the siphon going by using a 20cc syringe. Then, I used the same method putting the new water in. I did feed them spirulina yesterday - wasn't sure how old they were - been busy cleaning up / putting things back to normal. But due to what I wrote below, I'm guessing I found them right away.

I found another batch of zoea in the msw pool in the 100 gallon this morning...but they were all deceased. I took a picture of them before I cleaned them all out. It was heartbreaking. If only I had found them earlier. Lots of activity in the crabitat this morning, which is very unusual.

Have a great day everyone!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

I HAVE ZOEA!!!!!

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:42 am

My set up
The unfortunate Zoea that didn't make it Image
A terrible picture of the Zoea!

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:27 pm

This is so exciting!! :banana:

I put some brine shrimp eggs in the mail to you this morning, maybe a teaspoon and a half, which doesn't sound like much but it's probably more than I've used in seventeen days, so it should be plenty to hold you over. The tiniest shake you can make will yield hundreds, and they are best for the zoeae within a few hours of hatching.

Mine also seemed to eat the eggs because I didn't even realize old brine shrimp eggs weren't hatching for a few days. (The ones I sent you are from the new batch that are hatching great.) I'll also have small shells to share as you get closer to that stage. :D

Fingers crossed one of us gets there.

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:43 pm

mlakers wrote:This is so exciting!! :banana:

I put some brine shrimp eggs in the mail to you this morning, maybe a teaspoon and a half, which doesn't sound like much but it's probably more than I've used in seventeen days, so it should be plenty to hold you over. The tiniest shake you can make will yield hundreds, and they are best for the zoeae within a few hours of hatching.

Mine also seemed to eat the eggs because I didn't even realize old brine shrimp eggs weren't hatching for a few days. (The ones I sent you are from the new batch that are hatching great.) I'll also have small shells to share as you get closer to that stage. :D

Fingers crossed one of us gets there.
Ty! I was able to buy some today at a specialty aquarium store that was closed yesterday in a nearby city. :) They also had airstones! :)

Topic author
GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:46 pm

End of day 2...second water change was successful. I haven't seen any losses so far. I fed them brine shrimp eggs, removed the coral piece earlier, and put in a plant like mlakers has. :) This is crazy tedious! Lights out for the night. :cloud9: