We Have Strawberry Eggs!!!!

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

Topic author
Motörcrab

We Have Strawberry Eggs!!!!

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:59 pm

I always check on my crabs before I leave for work. Today I saw Mephistopheles checking out a new shell. Well what I thought was a shell too small for him! Upon a closer look I saw Abaddon shell down, legs up under him! He wasn't looking for a shell!

I managed to get a picture of these two frisky crabs! Excuse the sand on the glass I didn't have time to clean it! I also got a picture from inside the tank that is a little clearer.

After work I found Abby and inspected her for eggs! She is infact carrying eggs! Hopefully fertile eggs as well!

Here is the bad news. I unfortunately do not have the time or funds to take a crabby maternity leave from work to do the proper care, if she drops the eggs in saltwater.

Now for the good! With the Crabby Convention being at the end of the week it's perfect timing! I contacted Mary Akers and she is graciously taking in Abby so she can continue with her breeding research!

We are extremely excited because we never had crabs with eggs before. Plus we can actually give them a fighting chance for survival as well!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: We Have Strawberry Eggs!!!!

Post by JoeHermits » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:36 pm

Congratulations! I heard a rumor that Mary was getting a new strawberry—I should’ve known it was yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Thank you although Mephy and Abby did all the work! Lol! I saw Mary was looking for a female strawberry a week or two ago. We knew I had at least two females but was unsure If I wanted to give one up. I saw the two love crabs this morning so they made up my mind for me. I contacted Mary because I didn't want to just show up and surprise her with everything she has with the convention and all. She accepted instantly. At least with Abby we know that she produces eggs. I checked Diablo today and didn't see any.

I know we have everyone on here to thank for steering us in the right direction for proper care of all crabs. I know this never would have happened without the HCA and other hermit crab websites.

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Such a beautiful crab!!!

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:54 pm

That’s amazing!!! Just wow!!!

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:37 pm

I can't express how excited I am and honored to have Abby join our crabby household--either on a breeding loan, or in whatever way gets decided long term. She will be an honored member for as long as we have her and I can't wait to see what happens moving forward. Very hopeful to have the chance to raise her babies!! See you in two days!! Go, Abby!! :banana:

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:12 pm

:cheer: So exciting! :cloud9:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 pm

We just met up with Mary and gave Abby to her to get settled! We are all hoping everything goes as we all hope! Everyone is super excited to find out what will happen.

Xenocrab and I are both still amazed that she has eggs! We never would have know if I didn't see the two of them together the other day!

I just wonder if it was fate, pure dumb luck, or just perfect timing it happened just days before Crab Con. What is even better is Abby getting to Mary with plenty of time before dropping her eggs!

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:14 pm

!!! So exciting!!! Its really cool u got to see them mate. Now I want to learn more about that process.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:01 pm

I was super surprised when I saw it it. I just wish the glass wasn't so dirty so I could have taken video. The good picture I put my phone in the tank. They were of course in an area where my cams wouldn't pick it up behind Cholla.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:24 am

That's because they wanted privacy :hlol:
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

mlakers

Post by mlakers » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:21 pm

This is Abby, being adorable.

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:48 pm

I think this is soooo exciting... I hope everything works out as it should and we can have little strawberry babies in the future! How incredible that is.
Maybe I missed it but did you share the pic you did manage to get of them mating? I’m just curious. Thanks!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~Gene My PP clan

ThatMamaDawn

Post by ThatMamaDawn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Overmountain1 wrote:I think this is soooo exciting... I hope everything works out as it should and we can have little strawberry babies in the future! How incredible that is.
Maybe I missed it but did you share the pic you did manage to get of them mating? I’m just curious. Image Thanks!

ImageDave the Wondercrab~Pat~MaggieMoo~Billy~
Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~Tim~GeneImage My PP clan

That pic is in the first post.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Mama of 4 PP’s: Crabby, Hermie, Mr. Crabs, & Squidward