Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs)

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

KrabovyKral

Re: Woohooo!! Two females with eggs!! Update P.6! BABIES!!

Post by KrabovyKral » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:51 am

Wow! This is amazing! Someday, I am going to breed hermit crabs.

IanHulett

Post by IanHulett » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

KraboviKral wrote:Wow! This is amazing! Someday, I am going to breed hermit crabs.
Good luck, because it's rare.

LucasBinx

Post by LucasBinx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:36 am

What do breeders do with the surviving and growing crabs? Sell them? Keep them? That would be a lot to just keep hah

EdisNiksic

Post by EdisNiksic » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:22 am

There arent that many that survive so its not really a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Pyre Shep Nina,GSD Balotelli,30 Purple Pinchers,1 Red Foot Tortoise,1 Russian Tortoise,7 Rabbits,4 Ruggies,3 Indos,3 Strawberries,16 Aussies,1 Reeves Turtle,one 20 gal Mollie Tank,two 5 gal nano freshwater planted tanks with Bettas,one 29 Gal Freshwater Tank,2 Guppy/Mystery Snail breeder tanks

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:43 am

So far Curlz and Nat have kept theirs as they're still small enough to fit in a teeny tank without issues. I think Curlz has around 10 now, and I believe that Nat still has close to 30. Long term, it'll be up to them to decide what to do. :)

I imagine that after going through all that it would be very hard to part with them. If I ever manage it, I'm not sure if I would sell/rehome any of them ever. For sure I'd offer some of the little ones to my friends once they were large enough to travel through the mail, but I'm not sure if I'd do much more than that. I've no doubt that some breeders would have no problem getting rid of the little ones - which is great, or the majority of us would never get a captive bred crab! - but I know others would be very attached to them and wouldn't be able to part with them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

LucasBinx

Post by LucasBinx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:18 am

Oh wow, see I was thinking that around 50+ survived. But 10-30 is a little more manageable. I'd probably keep them, too, then hah

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:48 am

I will keep some, to document/report their development. I do this since the were hatched.

violas grow fast, if all of my 12 will stay alove I have to give away some. They will not be sold, nor send via mail.
Honestly I will only give them away to special people, who hav good experiments about hermits. Who are have a good working terrarium, and who will be able to give a always update of their development.
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/

Lizzia

Post by Lizzia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:37 pm

you are so lucky!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: congrats. if they hatch, you are going to have too much cuteness for the world to deal with. send more pictures. seriously, i have no idea how you did it, but congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink: :wink: :wink:

Topic author
wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Just found larvae (all dead and stinky) in my salt water pool. I am pretty sure they are from my clypeatus, but can't be 100% on that. It's out of their breeding season, which is weird...especially considering seasons up north here are extremely exaggerated, and it is not even close to summer. Still very much "winter" in my tank. No natural light, and temps in the high 70's-low 80's.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

tk421

Post by tk421 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:53 am

What an absolutely FASCINATING thread! (I read the whole thing a few nights ago when I was meant to be studying for my exams..ha! And then I had to wait before I was accepted on the forums to be able to post.)

Wolfnipplechips, you are very inspiring with the care, patience and amazing documentation you showed to your first surprise batch of babies... so fascinating! And I'm very grateful that you took the time to document and take such great photos...thank you!!

Hopefully you'll have better luck next time and be able to find enough shells small enough to suit the babies to grow up! :)

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:20 am

Curlz wrote:I will keep some, to document/report their development. I do this since the were hatched.

violas grow fast, if all of my 12 will stay alove I have to give away some. They will not be sold, nor send via mail.
Honestly I will only give them away to special people, who hav good experiments about hermits. Who are have a good working terrarium, and who will be able to give a always update of their development.
This post is forever old but while looking on information on the kreisel (not sure on spelling) tanks I came across this again. I think captive bred babies would be worth going to Germany for! I am hoping to make an attempt as soon as I see eggs. I am disabled (seizures) and am home almost always and would be able to focus on them solely. I have to get eggs first! I am in awe of how you managed this. You are a very incredible person.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

he-man

Re: Woohooo! Two females with eggs! Update P.6! BABIES! (PPs

Post by he-man » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:24 pm

This thread has inspired so much! I now know that it IS possible to breed crabs in captivity AND raise them to be able to be adopted out!!! Incredible! One day, I hope that I can breed hermit crabs!
my mom takes care of my crabs now cause im planning college B)