Zoea *successful captive breeding & rearing of C. variabilis

This area is dedicated to the pioneers who have captive bred crabs, and for those who wish to learn more or attempt it themselves. Also for inquiring about the gender of your crabs.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Zoea *successful captive breeding & rearing of C. variab

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:13 am

kornchaser wrote: I didn't know anything was wrong, I haven't read any other threads of hers. What's going on?
Don't worry, the only reason why I knew is that a friend on facebook mentioned it. I am not 100% sure, but it must be bad IMO. I know that she will pull through no matter what it is. :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:58 am

aussieJJDude wrote: Don't worry, the only reason why I knew is that a friend on facebook mentioned it. I am not 100% sure, but it must be bad IMO. I know that she will pull through no matter what it is. :)
:) Good luck Nat!

Hermit mommy of 10 PP babies: Octavius Flemming, Poseidon, Junior, Matty Pumpkin, Turbo, Aries, Kaylee Frye, Pepper, Flower and Adrian Shephard.
-

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:02 am

Yikes! Good luck Nat!

Crabbers unite!!!

Nia

Post by Nia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:52 am

Hope that you are ok Nat best wishes n prays sent to ya :). Good luck and get better soon.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:01 am

I am in a very similar situation to Nat right now. Except this is my first time and is totally unexpected. They have been in the salt water in my habitat for roughly 24 hours (BUT they may have been there before and I didn't notice till last night.
What do I do know.

I've got a large foam esky with tap water in it heating to 28c.... Plan on getting a large round glass vase tomorrow and putting ocean water in it. Then do I add the water from my tank pool?
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Zoea *successful captive breeding & rearing of C. variabilis

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:59 am

Thank you for the well wishes & thoughts everyone xx
I will be fine, nothing life threatening just a silly flare up and had life tipped upside down thanks to separation.
I have fixed the broken image and video links and will redo the thread on the DIY Kreisels I made as soon as time and health permits. My images are hosted by imageshack and that is not free anymore.
I have not exactly been online for ages, sorry. I have come out of my shell to help Renroc AKA Sue as much as possible.
My crabs are doing well but sadly lost quite a few moving.
Last edited by Nat_addicted to HC's on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natalie van Amstel

Life isn't about how you survived the storm...
it's about how you danced in the rain!

Australia's Online Land Hermit Crab Food,Treats and Accessories Store
CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY
http://www.ihavecrabs.com.au

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:42 pm

An Australian 5 cent piece (as I have used that as a size reference previously) to give an idea of their current size.
Last edited by Nat_addicted to HC's on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Little ones are getting big.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

naalide

Post by naalide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:13 am

Nice to have you back, Natalie! :)
And thanks so much for the new pictures of your little crabs.
5 Indos, 4 Violas, 1 Rugs, 1 E, 5 adult PPs and about 22 breeding's of PPs!
Some other breeding's also, which species is yet not confirmed.
Feel free to visit Danys ?-Coenobita-breeding-thread (since page 12 year 2018)

Topic author
Nat_addicted to HC's

Post by Nat_addicted to HC's » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:15 am

Thanks
I do believe I have a lot to catch up with on your thread
Congratulations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Natalie van Amstel

CURRENTLY CLOSED SORRY

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:31 am

WOW I've just read through this entire thread. As mentioned a couple of posts back I found larvae in my salt water pool on Sunday 10th January. With Nat's help I managed to get 5 out of the transition pool but at this stage it looks like they won't be continuing their journey. I've learnt heaps. Now having read this I feel a little more prepared for my next attempt. Lets hope it is not as soon after this as Nat's was.

Cheers everyone. Yep I have started my own thread as well. Nowhere near as long as Nat's. :D
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:05 pm

Awe look how big they are! You must feel so proud each time you see them thriving. I know I would!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

Crabby Witch

Post by Crabby Witch » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:31 am

Unbelievable thread. Im so glad I rejoined HCA. Thank you for all your efforts ans CURLZ too. Ive taken time to view her web site, ya have to read it slow even in translations. What you all have achieved is as you know ground breaking. It took me about a week or more off and on reading just this thread and viewing Curlz web site.

Have all of you thought of putting a book together and making some science and schools use it as manuals? you can then have money to help with all the expenses. Basicals Nat you do one chapeter on your bread, Curlz does one and so one...to anyone thats here and has had documented success? I would buy this book gladly to support you ALL.

One quick question...about what size are the females, when you ALL have noticed that they start having the eggs? I would like to start watching mine better. I would love to try this set up. I will probly start my own thread and ask details if i not completlely sure of what im reading, in the future.
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC
6 small PP, 3Lg/Jumbos, 6 mediums
One 18-year-old black cat & a conure

Crabby Witch

Post by Crabby Witch » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:17 am

Well I mean, I know you cant make them use the manuals. I meant it would be a great reference guide for them or anyone. Not to mention, anyone and everyone could always use some extra cash to help out. You all have something really great going here. I mean, think about it. Look at all the hermit crab books still being sold from the 80"s and 90"s. They dont have any information that is new to use now. Heck even the sponges in water and still living in a hamster open cage...some books still have people doing this. I think it would be amazing how well your books would do. Think about it guys, if anything an EBOOK would be better then nothing. Ok im going to start reading the other threads now on different peoples breeding threads as this one has seemed to die down and only a few entries over the past 2 years.

I dont know you at all Nat but Im very sorry to hear of your home life and the loss of crabs from the stress of moving. Our animals can pick up on what we are going threw, and Im sure the little ones felt it too, as you are there mother and there care giver. I hope things go better for you in a very short period of time and your future transitions are smoother.
THE SUN IS LIFE
THE MOON IS MAGIC
6 small PP, 3Lg/Jumbos, 6 mediums
One 18-year-old black cat & a conure

Curlz

Post by Curlz » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:24 am

off topic:
Crabby Witch wrote: One quick question...about what size are the females, when you ALL have noticed that they start having the eggs? I would like to start watching mine better.
Size is not the only point (as I told you in your thread).
I do not realise or saw when my femals had or have eggs. I do not pick them up to check. And if I could pick them up, I never saw eggs.

But the bevavior is nearly all the same of each species: (my own experience)
The males start to run after one female. It's like hunting. And a not normal behavior. The favorite (?) male starts to hold and keep her. Looks like he wants to pull her out of her shell. It looks very aggressiv. This hunting game can took 1-2 days.
Sometime I hear this typical chirping sounds in this time (depends on species).

This hunting game can be the start of mating. I also recognize this behavior when the female already carrying eggs.

When it is time to release the eggs the female noticeable walks often near the marine tank. Walk into the water and at the egde of the water. In most of the cases I found larvae next moring. (Larvae will hatch directly after release - about 2 to 5 in the morning (PM?))

Well, but I guess in small tanks it is not easy recognizing this behavior.
It took two years before my LHCs start breeding and hatching eggs. It was after I built up the first marine pool (~ 19 liter = ~5 gallon)
Love sincerly,

Curlz
and her pinchers

my Hermit Blog http://curlz-crabs.blogspot.de/