Looking into isopods

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Hermielover121

Looking into isopods

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:58 am

Hi I have been posting a lot since I have nothing else to do I am looking into getting isopods for my not quite finished 20 gallon. For when my crabs move in there. I have heard some people sell them here. What is it like to have them? Would they escape a lot because if they did my family would not allow them. Are they easy to take care for? What is the best type to get with hermit crabs? Are they expensive? I have no info on them so anything will help! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Looking into isopods

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 pm

Hi there! First of all, I would like to say isopods should not be able to get out of your tank. A lot of that would depend on if you have decorations that lead to the top, and what kind of lid you have. If you have a glass lid, they won't be able to get out. If they were to get out, the likelihood of them surviving is very minimal. They need humidity just like hermit crabs. :)

MORE IMPORTANTLY...if you do decide to get them...LESS IS MORE!!! LOL!! In my experience isopods have overpopulated all of my crabitats. I'm busting at the seams with them. I do offer them for free. You just have to pay priority shipping because they are live creatures. Basically mine are powder blues and lottery mix isopods.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:23 pm

Ok thanks
Which ones would you recommend that don’t overpopulate

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 17, 2020 12:27 pm

There are types that don't breed as fast as others. I'm not that familiar with the different kinds. I think @PinchersandShells knows :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Ok thank you
How would I contact you if I wanted to order

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:25 pm

I was thinking of getting armadillidium type
Do they get very big. Has anyone had good results with them? Do they seem to overpopulate a lot?

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:42 pm

armadillidium nasatum overpopulate a lot. I had so many in just six months, and then they started going crazy (literally) and died by waves each day till there was a few left :(
At least I saved a few for my crab tank
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:04 pm

Oh ok thanks for the info everyone.