URGENT | Mites(?), Missing Leg, Missing Crab

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
cucucue

URGENT | Mites(?), Missing Leg, Missing Crab

Post by cucucue » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 am

Hello everyone, today when i went to check on my crabbies I saw a piece of a leg hanging around. After examining my above-ground crabs, I saw that it wasn't theirs and it had to be my other crab's that's currently underground as of two days ago. The one that went underground is always the most active, so I just assumed the leg was from him hurting himself climbing (it has happened before) or it was from him molting and moving positions (found two recently dug piles in the corners, he likes to build his dirt holes on hills he makes). However, when I checked the thermostat, there were tiny brown spider-like insects crawling on it and I now think the crab has been endangered by mites (ive never seen one in person before so I'm not sure).

So I've begun to boil the objects in my tank and begun to prepare some new substrate but since I have no backup tank, what do I do about my crab currently undergound? I don't want to dig him up and disturb him, but I feel he is in danger!

Kermie16

Re: URGENT | Mites(?), Missing Leg, Missing Crab

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:37 am

Do u have a pic of the insects u saw on ur thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk