bugs in tank but not on the bug list

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Just Jay

bugs in tank but not on the bug list

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:08 pm

so i went out of town for two days. before i left i put out three shells of food that would last. i also had my mom come over and check on the tank (and other animals). everything was perfectly fine. i recently got a promotion and started my own business. so ive been very busy. the main thing that has changed is im not sitting at my crab tank watching them for a few hours each day. nothing else in their care has changed. i can link the emergency form if anyone would like. tho i posted it in another post and again nothing has changed.

so im not sure when these bugs got in the tank. or honestly what they are. last night when i went to change food and was doing my usual up keep. i noticed these very very tiny black bugs. there were a few that had small clear wings. when i went to mist i noticed what looked like ee being blown around but was actually the small bugs. im now wondering if they have always been in the tank and are just starting to procreate? also when i picked up some of the food that was pulled on the sub the little bugs had obviously been eating the food.

my question is mainly how do i get rid of them, do i need to get rid of them? if i get ispos will they eat these little bugs? i cant say my crabs are bothered by them. they have been hanging out in a corner together. tho they often do that on their own.

any tips and advice is welcome.

Kermie16

Re: bugs in tank but not on the bug list

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 am

Can u get a pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 am

Kermie16 wrote:Can u get a pic?

Haven't been able to yet. They are just too small. They are like small nats. Like i said some [two or three] had wings but weren't flying. Not sure if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:54 am

Sound almost like fungus gnats.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:28 am

I agree, sounds like fungus gnats. They hang around the food. Some people use the honey/vinegar/sugar water drop of dawn until it smells sweet mixture in a water bottle to trap them, or you can use the yellow sticky tape you purchase at the store to catch them when they fly. They look more like little fruit flies. They can get out of control quick.

Edit: Congrats on your promotion and starting your new business! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Thaaaaanks GB! Fungus gnats are the only thing its close to on the fourm so i assume so as well but TINY beyond all reason. I haven't seen them flying at all. Will the mixture still work? Ive used it before when i first set the tank up and it got flies. I've only seen them on the bottom and i cant put sticky tape there.

If i just put the hermits food out for a limited amout of time how long would you say? And how much food? I do hand feed two of my three crabs that are currently up. Its more on their terms tho.... only asking because if its food gnats and i limit the food out but leave the mixture i should get them. Right?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:41 pm

You can do the mixture and leave it in the bottle so the hermits can't get it or you can use the tape and hang it near the top of your tank. They fly. Someone had them on here recently and used the tape, said it worked great. I would still feed your normal, just change daily. :) Good luck!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You can do the mixture and leave it in the bottle so the hermits can't get it or you can use the tape and hang it near the top of your tank. They fly. Someone had them on here recently and used the tape, said it worked great. I would still feed your normal, just change daily. :) Good luck!
Ive used the mixture before but these arent flying. Ive only seen them running on the ground. As it is i haven't seen them for a few days. So maybe my hermits eat them all for me hahahaha. Was only asking about limiting food out to make them go to the mixture.