How to get rid of springtails?

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
tullaia

How to get rid of springtails?

Post by tullaia » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:24 pm

A few months ago, I noticed small bugs in my crabitat. After doing some research, I found out that they were springtails and useful to hermit crabs because they would eat the food and poop and clean the tank, so I ignored the bugs. But now they're everywhere in the tank; swarming in the food, coating the surface of the water, gathering inside of the shells I have for the crabs to change in, and on the crabs themselves. It's getting out of control. I've cleaned the tank and everything in it multiple times, but they keep coming back. Is there some natural way to ward them away? Thanks!

*edit* (I know that they're fine in the tank, they're just getting annoying. I have completely cleaned the tank multiple times; replacing the substrate and all that, but they come back after a few weeks. I think they might be living somewhere else in the house. I just need to know if something can keep them away)
Last edited by tullaia on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to get rid of springtails?

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:41 pm

Springtails are harmless. They are a beneficial bug. Just try changing the food daily. ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiearth

Post by Hermiearth » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 pm

If they really seem to become a problem the only way to got rid of them is to do a deepclean and buying new or sterilizing the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 pm

like hermiearth said, you would have to do a deep clean (take out the sand and bake it or replace it, take out everything and clean it). Thats very risky if you have molting crabs under the sub though because you might disrupt their molt and hurt them. I can see how they could be really annoying, but you should weigh your choices. Good luck :)
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:26 pm

Another option would be to buy isopods. While they won't eat the springtails they can definitely keep the population down as the springtails and isopods will compete for resources.
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Merle, Seasalt, & Elvis
2 Captive Bred PPs = Randy & Roxie
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm

Its a sign that you have something in there that's causing a population bloom. As your crabitat contains everything - food, water, humidity, heat - its the ideal place. Try minimising the length of food being added to the crabitat, and try to clean out the bowl daily. Cutting back on food is going to make the springtails compete for resources, thus reducing the population.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies