Ants in the tank??

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
kfinnz

Ants in the tank??

Post by kfinnz » Thu May 18, 2017 6:45 pm

So I don't THINK this is an emergency but I'm pretty worried. So I went to refresh the food in my tank (I do it every couple days) and I noticed there were ants in the food dish!! There were only a few and I don't see any anywhere else but something in the dish had molded (the humidity has been SUPER high and I'm about to turn the bubbler off and see if it helps) so I'm not sure if that attracted them or not. I have TWO molters right now and my major concern is if there's ants will they hurt them? How can I attract the ants out of the tank? I assume ants are bad. I'm worried that when I put the food back in they will just come back. They are your average little black ant you see around in homes sometimes.

Hermias_mom

Re: Ants in the tank??

Post by Hermias_mom » Thu May 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Did you take a look at this post? It helps if you can determine what kind of ant it is.

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92537
4PPs and tons of FUN in a 29 gallon!
Hermia(F), Helena(F), Branch(M), and Tiger (M)
RIP Athena

daws409

Post by daws409 » Thu May 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Hermias_mom wrote:Did you take a look at this post? It helps if you can determine what kind of ant it is.

http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 26&t=92537
She said they were average black ant you find around homes

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
kfinnz

Post by kfinnz » Thu May 18, 2017 7:32 pm

They dont look like that picture of ants. They're small, not long legs, not terribly fast even. You know those small anthills you'll find outside that look like they're made of sand and there's little not really special looking ants on them? They look like those. Although maybe that's a regional thing.

I'll try those methods in that post to get rid of them. We had an issue recently and we put down some pet safe poison stuff (safe once it dries) but I guess they found a new way in. Do ants hurt molters? Just in case there's still ants in the tank, that's my biggest concern. I would not imagine they could hurt the non-molters but I'm still new to hermit crabs so I'm not sure.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 pm

If you only saw a few ants, just pick them out of the tank.

If you see a LOT of ants, you'll want to redo your substrate.

Sounds like they are just your average little black ants.

Topic author
kfinnz

Post by kfinnz » Thu May 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks! I only saw the ones in the dish thankfully. I'm keepin' eyes peeled for anymore but none so far so fingers crossed! Went ahead with the vaseline around tank edges as well just to be safe.