Maggot in tank :/

For the discussion of any creepy crawlies that may have taken up residence in your tank, including mites. Please note that isopods have their own forum.

Topic author
Tala

Maggot in tank :/

Post by Tala » Tue May 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Hey all, I haven't been on here in awhile and it seems the tap a talk app has changed a bit since then and I can't find the search bar anymore haha.
I used to rearrange the tank regularly but life got busier and I've been slacking in my tank maintenance-- pretty much only in the tank to change water and food. This afternoon I decided to really get in there and check things out and move things around since everyone is up right now, and I spotted a maggot crawling around. I remember seeing posts about ants and gnats and things, but don't remember anything about maggots. It was only the one as far as I could tell, but just curious if it's something I should worry about. Thanks :)

(75 gallon tank, 7 pps, 8ish inches playsand substrate, fresh and salt water dishes, temp and humidity steady at about 80-82, no other issues).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Maggot in tank :/

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Do you have rotting food that is creating maggots? Possible stow away food? Have you seen flies?

If all of your crabs look healthy, I would just get rid of food that has been sitting, dispose of the maggot you found. If you find more, I would probably do a deep clean. Can you post a picture?

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Tala

Post by Tala » Tue May 23, 2017 6:16 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Do you have rotting food that is creating maggots? Possible stow away food? Have you seen flies?

If all of your crabs look healthy, I would just get rid of food that has been sitting, dispose of the maggot you found. If you find more, I would probably do a deep clean. Can you post a picture?

We got rid of it as soon as we saw it, so I don't have a picture. Food makes sense. They like to carry away their favorite bits of food to eat in private, haha. Never had issues before now, but last week or so we put in some fairly large chunks of pineapple that wound up in various parts of the tank and they may not have finished them off.
No flies. And they all seem healthy, they're all up right now and busy busy. We're going to mix all the sand together to make sure there's no water collecting at the bottom (I'm paranoid Image) before we set it all back up, so maybe we'll find anything icky and be able to get it out of there. Thanks!
9 PPs (Sandy, Shelly, Franklin, Max Jr., Gusgus, Digdug, Steve, General Crabbington, & Ol' Lady Crabbington)
4 kitties & 2 pups! :)

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Okay, glad to hear! Yw!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com